Why become a member? ×

*Keeping it* Musicman Bongo HS 5 String (gold) For trade/sale

Jobiebass

Afternoon,

Ive only just got this bad boy, a HS bongo in gold from this forum, I never played a bongo before and I got some real Gas, Its a lovely bass but I cant get on with the Neck Pickup, Gets in the way for slap (I dont have a good technique)

Id really like another 5 string in its place, preferably a Bongo, but any musicman really, Has to be single hum though. Preferably maple necked.
If its not Musicman then it 100% has to have a maple fretboard.

Might sell if the price is right but the money will only go to another bass anyways.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20737"]Original Basschat for sale thread with pics[/url]

Edited by Jobiebass

Having had an allbeit brief diddle on it , this very afternoon , I can confirm it's tastiness.

Hope someone bites at this trade with something excellent enough for Jobiebass's red 'Ray to become redundant and find it's way onto the market !!!!!

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='229263' date='Jun 29 2008, 09:01 PM']Having had an allbeit brief diddle on it , this very afternoon , I can confirm it's tastiness.

Hope someone bites at this trade with something excellent enough for Jobiebass's red 'Ray to become redundant and find it's way onto the market !!!!![/quote]

if that red ray comes on the market im having it back!!!! :)

Im really really really sorry to both of you.

That 'ray will stay with me for a long long time to come, I picked up some Wal's today, and even though they were fantastic, they didnt give me that same tingly feeling every time I pick up that 'ray, I very much doubt ill ever find something else that will replace it as my #1 bass.

I see you still have [i]my[/i] ray on your profile pic Chris :)
Ill give you dibs if im on life support, or I have a hand chopped off, or I need to sell it for my new herion/crack addiction (hey I live in Doncaster, its only time before im shooting up and calling everyone Boyo's)

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='229201' date='Jun 29 2008, 07:32 PM']Afternoon,

I JUST (this week) got a HS bongo in gold from this forum, I never played a bongo before and I got some real Gas, Its a lovely bass but I cant get on with the Neck Pickup, Gets in the way for slap (I dont have a good technique)

Trade only, I want another bongo, but a single humbucker.

Might trade for something like a sadowsky 4-5 ( + extra cash Obviously) but would MUCH prefer a Bongo 5H

(not interested in a 4 string Bongo)

Edit: Im a Maple fretboard fan

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20737"]Original Basschat for sale thread with pics[/url][/quote]

Blimey - you've been going a bit GAS crazy since we traded, eh?

Your Jazz hasn't seen much use since I got it (in the middle of building works so only have space for one bass out at a time just now) but I have been quite pleasantly surprised how little the neck pickup bothers me on my OLP 4HH now... I started off hating it for slap stuff, and lowered the neck pickup right down until it was pretty much flush with the pickguard. After a month or so I put it back to normal height and... somewhat oddly - it doesn't get in the way anymore.

I can't really work out exactly what I'm doing different - although I guess I must be playing a bit further up the fretboard when slapping... but I reckon it could be well worth sticking with it for a bit to see if you can get on with it.. it'd be a shame to lose that extra bit of versatility for the sake of a bit of effort working on technique. (And it must be piss easy if I can do it. :) )

[quote name='stoo' post='229358' date='Jun 29 2008, 10:57 PM']Blimey - you've been going a bit GAS crazy since we traded, eh?

Your Jazz hasn't seen much use since I got it (in the middle of building works so only have space for one bass out at a time just now) but I have been quite pleasantly surprised how little the neck pickup bothers me on my OLP 4HH now... I started off hating it for slap stuff, and lowered the neck pickup right down until it was pretty much flush with the pickguard. After a month or so I put it back to normal height and... somewhat oddly - it doesn't get in the way anymore.

I can't really work out exactly what I'm doing different - although I guess I must be playing a bit further up the fretboard when slapping... but I reckon it could be well worth sticking with it for a bit to see if you can get on with it.. it'd be a shame to lose that extra bit of versatility for the sake of a bit of effort working on technique. (And it must be piss easy if I can do it. :) )[/quote]

Your right, I could lower the neck pup right down, but then it'd make no sence in having it there in the first place cause you wouldnt get a nice tone out of it or hear it.

Since I got your OLP 5HH, I havent played that much either, few hours here and there but I cant get on with the neck pup on that either so thats going to Machines, for some reason I thought the bongo would be diffrent as its HS not HH, but the spacing is the same pretty much.

Think its gonna take me a while to find a Bongo 5H, but im happy noodling around with it untill one pops up. Might go for a trade with something else, like something with a status/modulus type of neck. Has to be P bass size though. if not graphite, then it has to be maple. not a massive fan of rosewood at all.

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='229968' date='Jun 30 2008, 07:43 PM']Your right, I could lower the neck pup right down, but then it'd make no sence in having it there in the first place cause you wouldnt get a nice tone out of it or hear it.[/quote]

Yeah - I wasn't really suggesting that as a remedy. Just mentioned it to point out that it seems to be fairly easy to adjust your technique so that having the neck pickup there isn't a problem. So easy in fact that I managed it without even consciously trying to - I was just practicing as normal but with the neck pup lowered right down. At the time I was considering either removing the pickup or relocating it closer to the bridge cos I was also convinced there was no way I'd be able to adjust my playing enough for it to no longer be a problem where it was.

How about a G&L ASAT with maple board in Honey (I think it's honey or it could be honey burst) and G&L case ? I've had this bass from new, plays the mutts nuts.
if you interested in trade I can do pics.

Edited by bigd1

I remember having a similar issue with my bongo, Allbeit i stuck at it a bit longer (and THATS saying something!)

Its such a rewarding bass when you get it right. But i have to agree the SC neck pickup isnt worth doodly squat.

[quote name='ste_m3' post='230326' date='Jul 1 2008, 09:57 AM']I remember having a similar issue with my bongo, Allbeit i stuck at it a bit longer (and THATS saying something!)

Its such a rewarding bass when you get it right. But i have to agree the SC neck pickup isnt worth doodly squat.[/quote]

Im really stoked with bongos, I definatly want another one. the tone you can get out of them is unreal, the slightest little turn of one of the 4eq, and you get a totaly new sound, cut mids slightly and add a tiny bit of trebble you sound like flea, or treb down a little, little high mid and you get a lovely jazz sound. and this is all within a 1/4 of a turn. Fantastic bass. But for practicality I need rid of that pickup, I dont go for warm sounds anyways so its pretty pointless for me.

Bumpo, although I am starting to get used to the pickup and wondering if I should get rid of it now at all.
Ill keep it up here for a little while longer but im either keeping it or selling it in about a month.

Edited by Jobiebass

[quote]Bumpo, although I am starting to get used to the pickup and wondering if I should get rid of it now at all.
Ill keep it up here for a little while longer but im either keeping it or selling it in about a month.[/quote]

Keep it.

Your killing me by having it up for sale. It actually made me consider trading my ray, but I can never let it go.

[quote name='mathewsanchez' post='234499' date='Jul 7 2008, 09:11 PM']Keep it.

Your killing me by having it up for sale. It actually made me consider trading my ray, but I can never let it go.[/quote]

Sorry, But yup, still for sale/trade :)

Well I got a fair few offers this weekend but still, im keeping it now I think. I lowerd the pickup and its enjoyable now, and the worst thing about it is.... I recorded it next to the stringray and it sounds better. :) Did I just say that?

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='239601' date='Jul 14 2008, 10:48 PM']Well I got a fair few offers this weekend but still, im keeping it now I think. I lowerd the pickup and its enjoyable now, and the worst thing about it is.... I recorded it next to the stringray and it sounds better. :huh: Did I just say that?[/quote]

Blimey, I've just gotten myself my first Stingray n all :)
I'll have to pop over sometime and have a noodle on your bongo :huh:

[quote name='BassManKev' post='239657' date='Jul 14 2008, 11:49 PM'] :huh:[/quote]
That'a Bongo Bass... note base, (bass)... :) Glad to hear you're keeping it after all, and my offer still stands if you've still got it in a few years time I'll have it off you mate :huh:

"Well I got a fair few offers this weekend but still, im keeping it now I think. I lowerd the pickup and its enjoyable now, and the worst thing about it is.... I recorded it next to the stringray and it sounds better. :huh: Did I just say that?"

I'll agree with this bit cos I've heard the recording and the Bongo wipes the floor with the Ray...sorry and all that but it does!!

Edited by Wooks