Why become a member? ×

Ritter Roya 5-string £1000 Gumtree

Graham

What are the chances of someone from the UK buying this bass from the US owner, then bringing it over and now selling it? I wouldn't report a listing on gumtree as fraudulent just because the same photos have been used in an eBay auction 3 months earlier... There's a lot of people selling cheap due to a changed financial situation. The price paid would have been around £2k right? I bought an used Alembic Epic fretless V on here 3 years ago for £600 and it's rrp is 6000 dollars... And I can assure you every bit of it was genuine.

[quote name='Steff' timestamp='1387736196' post='2315060']
What are the chances of someone from the UK buying this bass from the US owner, then bringing it over and now selling it?
[/quote]

I'd say chances are nil; nobody buys a bass in September for roughly £2,600 then sells it a couple of months later for £1,000 and uses the same item description as the guy they just bought it from.

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1387736485' post='2315067']
Gumtree just bounced me the 'fraudulent ad' response.
[/quote]

Yes. That's what they do when an ad gets reported as fraudulent. That doesn't mean the ad is actually fraudulent. It means someone has pressed the button "report this ad".

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1387736499' post='2315068']
I'd say chances are nil; nobody buys a bass in September for roughly £2,600 then sells it a couple of months later for £1,000 and uses the same item description as the guy they just bought it from.
[/quote]
It's similar to this Kubicki thread.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/225198-kubicki/

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1387736499' post='2315068']

[/quote]

You've got a point mate but unfortunate things in life happen and sometimes people are forced to sell at a big loss.

A friend of mine bought a genuine '71 precision for 1k. All original. I've seen it and played it. Now I'm sure whoever did it, had a reason to let it go for about half the money he could have sold it for.

Yeah but if you buy a bass for $4,280 whilst you're living in the USA, then realise you've blown all your life savings on something in a moment of madness and need to sell it fast you're hardly likely to then buy a one-way ticket to Liverpool and sell it for the equivalent of $1,600.

So...
The "seller" has responded to my enquiry, and he asked me my email address for faster communication. Here it is, first email is the latest so to be read from bottom to top

Hello again ,
The bass is already at a Parcel2Go office
The transaction will be closed through Parcel2Go.
You will have the opportunity to try the item as I said before.
You will not pay me any money until you see and inspect the product, all you have to do is purchase PaySafecard receipts from the store and confirm them online with Parcel2Go after they send you the invoice with our transaction details. Also you have to keep the receipts and forward them to me after you decide to keep the item.
If the item is not as described you will receive a full refund from Parcel2Go.
Please reply me with your Full name and delivery address so i can search a PaySafe store near you and inform Parcel2Go about our transaction.
Thanks

Sergent: Dale Hart

RAF Aldergrove

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 11:00 PM, Stefan <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi Dale,

Would you mind cash on collection as I don't mind driving when it comes to such an expensive instrument.

Best,
Steff

Sent from my iPhone

On 23 Dec 2013, at 20:11, Dale Hart <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi,
The bass is still available. My name is Dale Hart , I work as a flight sergeant in the Royal Air Force, I have recently been
transferred to a new military base in Northern Ireland (RAF Aldergrove base) but you don't have to worry because the item is in UK and we will use a fast and reliable cash on delivery service (Parcel2go) , this way you will have the opportunity to try the item first. Let me know if you're interested to use this service.
Cheers

Sergent: Dale Hart

RAF Aldergrove

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 7:43 PM, Stefan Marinov <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi Dale,

I am interested in the bass, can you please send some more photos if possible, also a few more details?

When are you available to meet?

Best,
Steff
<$(KGrHqF,!lcFIUbwBF0uBSG70Z6BVg~~60_57.JPG>
<$(KGrHqJ,!qgFI,5)lfBRBSG79b0QFw~~60_57.JPG>
<$(KGrHqN,!nUFH9rr4V+OBSG8p)emVg~~60_57.JPG>
<$(KGrHqR,!qIFIYQbR(zEBSG78ryvig~~60_57.JPG>
<$(KGrHqV,!k8FH6QCZ4q1BSG8BkI!og~~60_57.JPG>
<$T2eC16F,!)0FIZ15+(7GBSG8CS0RZQ~~60_57.JPG>
<$T2eC16N,!)EE9s2ufg46BSG8q+Dv4Q~~60_57.JPG>
<$T2eC16R,!yUE9s6NFHnmBSG8!ubjJg~~60_57.JPG>
<$T2eC16Z,!ygE9s7HJ-1oBSG75KqlPw~~60_57.JPG>

The scam explained:

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?74125-Is-this-a-scam-as-it-s-a-new-one-on-me

Hope that'll help prevent anyone from falling for this new type a scam.

Edited by Steff

[quote name='Steff' timestamp='1387736196' post='2315060']
What are the chances of someone from the UK buying this bass from the US owner, then bringing it over and now selling it? I wouldn't report a listing on gumtree as fraudulent just because the same photos have been used in an eBay auction 3 months earlier... There's a lot of people selling cheap due to a changed financial situation. The price paid would have been around £2k right? I bought an used Alembic Epic fretless V on here 3 years ago for £600 and it's rrp is 6000 dollars... And I can assure you every bit of it was genuine.
[/quote]

After shipping and VAT plus duties you're talking £3,500. No-one is going to offer up a £2,500 drop. Plus it was a used bass at £3,500 so any big hit of depreciation had already been taken out of it.

I never said shipping. If you read my posts you'll see I was suggesting someone went there, bought it and flew back. That doesn't necessarily mean you'll have to pay import duties, neither shipping or VAT. It doesn't really matter now since it's more than clear it's a scam :) But really, the legal way isn't the only way to get an item from overseas. I would never do or encourage such thing, but a lot of people do it.
I just bought an original '74 jazz pickup from the US and didn't even ask the seller if he can reduce its value on the invoice in order to lower/skip import fees. Fact is, many people do that. I am just saying not everything that looks too good to be true is a scam. There was a £180 Fender musicmaster '77 on gumtree a few months ago and I missed it just out of too much hesitation.
Also if you had seen the Alembic I used to own selling on gumtree for £600, you'd probably think it's a scam again. Well it wasn't :). It was brought (not shipped) from the US.