Why become a member? ×

DIY pedals, what are the pitfalls?

Damonjames

1. Always, always use IC sockets -- don't solder 8-pin op-amps etc. direct to the board. I'd also recommend using transistor sockets.
2. Use a heat sink when working with certain components, e.g. 1N34 diodes, as they don't like getting too hot.
3. Don't attempt to solder your fingers into the circuit. It hurts.

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1387675229' post='2314522']
1. Always, always use IC sockets -- don't solder 8-pin op-amps etc. direct to the board. I'd also recommend using transistor sockets.
2. Use a heat sink when working with certain components, e.g. 1N34 diodes, as they don't like getting too hot.
3. Don't attempt to solder your fingers into the circuit. It hurts.
[/quote]

all of the above. Transistor sockets are useful, as you can often swap transistors to change how much gain/raspiness etc a fuzz pedals have, same with diodes (depending on the circuit).

Make sure all your grounds are connected, do continuity tests with a multimeter to check. Some people will tell you you don't need a multimeter to build pedals. These people are idiots. If you're building on stripboard check with a multimeter to make sure all your track cuts are done properly and stray bits of copper aren't tracking across before you start populating it.

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1387675229' post='2314522']
[/quote]

Although I often socket diodes too! :)

Do you know what Fuzz you want to build? Each circuit has inherent pitfalls really.

Si

[quote name='BigBassBob' timestamp='1387720628' post='2314856']
Make sure your soldering technique is acceptable before taking on a project. Practice wiring some pots or something first. It's not fun having to go back over loads of sloppy (but working) solder joints to find the bad one.
[/quote]

Thanks for the advise, I think I should be ok. I am an industrial electrician by trade and studied electronics ;-

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1387705208' post='2314619']

Although I often socket diodes too! :)

Do you know what Fuzz you want to build? Each circuit has inherent pitfalls really.

Si
[/quote]

Fuzz wise, I would like To build a tall font green Russian and/or a civil war russian. I would also like to make some variations with a mid boost or possibly a hi/low pass filter like the new deluxe bass big muff.

I would like to have a shot at anything really, maybe a noise gate, a compressor, envelope filter or octaver/synth. I have no idea if these are achievable for a home builder or not so some feedback would be great!

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1387726546' post='2314914']
Thanks for the advise, I think I should be ok. I am an industrial electrician by trade and studied electronics ;-
[/quote]
In fairness, you didn't say or suggest that at the start. Your OP did give the impression of a total novice, hence the basic advice.
[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1387727410' post='2314927']
I would like to have a shot at anything really, maybe a noise gate, a compressor, envelope filter or octaver/synth. I have no idea if these are achievable for a home builder or not so some feedback would be great!
[/quote]
There are vero layouts online for pretty much anything you can think of. There's even a Meatball clone if you feel particularly brave!