Why become a member? ×

Breaking La Bella E String

6feet7

Because of everything I've read on here about La Bella strings I thought I'd change from my usual rotosound flats to La Bell's seeing as they are supposed to sound so much better. They might but I never got the chance to hear seeing as the E string broke during the first song at a new bands first rehearsal. I've played rotos for years and this has never happened. Before anyone says my bridge has sharp edges, I play a GUS G3 which has smooth, ball bearing bridge saddles.
At £40 a go I can't afford to try La Bella's again for exactly the same thing happening, so I'm back to Rotos.
Has anyone else had this problem or was I just unlucky?

I've used La Bella flats several times. Never had one break on me though.

Are you stringing through the body? La Bella have a special series for this and don't recommend using their regular flats for through-body stringing (although I have known people to do this).

GUS guitars are only through body but it's nothing like a traditional bridge and there's no sharp or acute angles.
Think I'll stick to Rotos though. Cheaper, easier to get hold of and supporting workforce in this country too

The only time I ever broke strings in my life was when I switched to a different brand to the one I've been using for a while. You might have a faulty set, it happens... But could also be that your truss rod needed some tweaking to accommodate the new strings. As far as I remember, every time I used different strings from the ones I had on the bass before I had to do at least a minor set up.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1387656673' post='2314360']
Well known fact that LBs don't work on string through bridges (several posts on this forum and I think a statement on the string packaging).
[/quote]

[url="http://www.labella.com/products/760fs/"]This[/url]. The regular ones are not for thru body. They do a different version of their flatwounds specifically for thru body stringing.

Ordinary La Bella Flats are not suitable for through body stringing:

[quote]This particular set is NOT suitable for through-body basses. Please refer to our “Thru-Body” Flat Wound sets (e.g. 760FS-TB) for through-body instruments.[/quote]

But if you ask them nicely you may well get replacements.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='mickster' timestamp='1387657828' post='2314380']

[url="http://www.labella.com/products/760fs/"]This[/url]. The regular ones are not for thru body. They do a different version of their flatwounds specifically for thru body stringing.
[/quote]

I once spent about an hour chatting to the senior La Bella string guy. He couldn't stress enough that their regular flats should never be used on any bass with though body stringing. They're simply not designed to bend at such a sharp angle and, even if they don't break, they can have some issues sounding very dead because of string twisting.

This doesn't mean the standard ones aren't great strings, you just can't have an extreme break angle on them.

[quote name='6feet7' timestamp='1387714417' post='2314781']
I can see an extreme break angle on a fender but on a Gus it's a gradual curve over a ball bearing, nothing like a traditional bridge at all. If it can't do that then how can it be wound round a tuner without breaking?
[/quote]

Is it tapered beyond the nut? If so it'll be much thinner than at the bridge. A tapered end is much more flexible.

I'd imagine it's also a more 'rounded' curve on a tuner.

Edited by molan