Why become a member? ×

So confuzzed....

Damonjames

So I'm in a bit of a situation here, I currently have a Black Russian big muff which I love, but as with all russian gear, it is beginning to become unreliable. Being Christmas time, funds are scarce to find a replacement so would love some advice. Should I try and get another Black Russian? Should I get a bass big muff and do the volume mod? Or should I go Brazilian (no fuzz) until the new year and invest in a high quality clone like wren and cuff.

WHY ARE FUZZ PEDALS SUCH A FUZZING MINEFIELD?????

Just replace it. I've had three Black Russian Muffs before (one version 7 and two version 8s btw!), and two of them literally fell apart. Pretty much all of the clones I tried sounded better anyway!...

Get a COG Tarkin! Much better than the Black Russian Muffs, as good as the W&C TFR and a lot cheaper than getting one imported! If my TFR every breaks, I'll definitely replace it with a Tarkin.

I love my tall font, and before I settled on it I tried a lot of different muffs from EHX, clones from mates and boutique (fuzzrocious, W&C, etc). It all depends how fussed you are and what you want to spend. My TFR is amazing but the bass big muff I had before it is 90% as good and much cheaper, and joe public certainly won't notice the difference.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Had a spare moment tonight to try and see what the deal was with my Black Russian and found a couple of things. The pots are really scratchy so hit them with some contact cleaner and it seemed to improve it to about 90% of where it should be, one pot is still a bit off. The other thing I noticed was the circuit board was touching the back of the pots (can only assume the previous owners have stood on the pedal and bending the back part where the sockets are in) so I think this was the main issue.
Also took the time to put in a DC socket, this pedal is on my pedal board and am prone to leaving the I put jack in, hence running the battery down which probably wasn't helping my cause!

To sum up, I have a functioning pedal that should hopefully see me I to the new year and can get something else then. I'm even contemplating making my own muff clone, so who knows!

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1387705356' post='2314622']
I can highly recommend the GGG Green Muff Clone to build :)

Si
[/quote]

I absolutely second that! With the tonebender-mod (removal of the 1st diode stage) it even gets more bass!