Why become a member? ×

Can't intonate G string

Jono Bolton

Sharp at which fret(s)?

12th fret - can you reverse the saddle piece to put the edge further back?

Lowest frets - you might need to take the action down at the nut, using the appropriate nut file and plenty of care and patience!

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1387143330' post='2308753']
Sharp at which fret(s)?

12th fret - can you reverse the saddle piece to put the edge further back?

Lowest frets - you might need to take the action down at the nut, using the appropriate nut file and plenty of care and patience!
[/quote]

Sorry, should've mentioned it's at the 12th fret, although from about the 7th fret upwards it's noticeable when playing single notes, chords aren't as bad. I'll take a look tomorrow and see if I can reverse the saddle.

Edited by Jono Bolton

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1387145338' post='2308783']
Move the bridge back a few mm.
[/quote]

As JapanAxe said, that's not really feasible. I'd need to dowel the bridge studs and then re-drill it, and I don't have the necessary skills, tools or patience, and the guitar itself isn't worth the cost of having someone else do it for me.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1387199192' post='2309197']
I'd try another string first. Some strings are just dodgy and never intonate properly.
[/quote]

I have been caught out (once) with new G string that would not intonate correctly. It was the last thing that I checked for after much faffing - I was amazed a brand new string could be that duff.

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1387212583' post='2309459']
Thanks for all your advice fellas, I reversed the saddle and it worked a treat! BRX, it wouldn't have been the string itself, this is a new-ish set and I had the same problem with the ones it came with too.
[/quote]
Glad you got the right result!