Why become a member? ×

70's Fender tuner question

omikin

I have a Nate Mendel P bass which is a copy of his 70's precision. I love this instrument, but I wonder how authentic the tuners are as they aren't the ones with the really long stems.

Firstly - am I right in thinking they should be?

Secondly - if I were thinking of switching them out for some long stemmed ones, which should I choose where I wouldn't have to redrill? Gotoh seem to have some good ones.

Thanks for your help!

And these are the ones on a 76 I once owned... *sob*

And these are the Nate tuners - I'd say they're close enough. The main difference seems to be that the Nate 'ears' don't taper smoothly down into the shafts like the genuine 70s Fenders do.

Edited by discreet

I don't know the precise date they changed but they were certainly using the tuners you have on yours by the 70's. Probably the long stemmed 'reverse' tuners would have been around until about '67 I would hazard. There were also the 'paddle' tuners which were long stemmed but just plain ears and then the tuners you have there.

I would say they're period correct.

[quote name='jimbobothy' timestamp='1387018440' post='2307421']
Gary, Are the ones on your '75 original for the year? Very very nice lollipops but didn't know they came with basses that year.
[/quote]

I don't think they are lollipops - the pic crops the top of the tuners making them seem so. :)

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1387018441' post='2307422']
I don't know the precise date they changed but they were certainly using the tuners you have on yours by the 70's. Probably the long stemmed 'reverse' tuners would have been around until about '67 I would hazard.
[/quote]

Yes, similar tuners were being used from the mid 60s. A registered trade mark symbol was added above the Fender logo in the early 70s and was the primary gear used on all basses until 1977. Then Fender started using Schallers up until around 1982. In fact the Nate tuners look a lot like the Schallers...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1387019320' post='2307437']
Yes, similar tuners were being used from the mid 60s. A registered trade mark symbol was added above the Fender logo in the early 70s and was the primary gear used on all basses until 1977. Then Fender started using Schallers up until around 1982. In fact the Nate tuners look a lot like the Schallers...
[/quote]
Spot on, although the Schallers were introduced in '76. The older nickel plated ones still turned up on Precisions as late as '78 though.