Why become a member? ×

Best Custom UK Builder?

phsycoandy

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='228469' date='Jun 28 2008, 10:34 AM']I used to think I'd do pretty much anything for an Overwater, but the reviews I've found have never been too hot.

Has anyone here got one/owned one?[/quote]
Dont know what you have been reading but I have never seen a bad review of an Overwater and the ones I have played were very nice indeed. There are quite a few bass chatters with overwaters but they dont seem to be very active. You could always look in the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showforum=56"]Basschat Overwater forum[/url].

Edited by bass_ferret

Ain't none of them the best, they are all different hence the use of the word "custom".
If they all made an identical product then we could debate "best"

I've owned a few basses made by UK builders, Sei, Status, GB, Overwater, all were excellent instruments, they all felt different to play and they all sounded different.

Really is down to what you to hear and what you want it to play like

Tony

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='228469' date='Jun 28 2008, 10:34 AM']I used to think I'd do pretty much anything for an Overwater, but the reviews I've found have never been too hot.

Has anyone here got one/owned one?[/quote]

I've got an Overwater - 5 String Fretless Progress III - it's awesome. Had it for about 5 years now and it's my No1 bass, I've also own/have owned really good Yamaha, Fender and Warwick basse but the Overwater is truely in a different league to all of them. I've often wondered about trying another UK customer builder but things have just never worked out...

As it happens I was up in Carlisle last week and had a play on some of the new Perception Series - these are great basses - slightly smaller than the Progress and with a shallower neck profile - superbly playable and all being well I'll be getting a 5 string fretted one soon to compliment my fretless...

Chris has been building basses for over 30 years and really knows his stuff and he's a great guy too.

'Bleedproof' has a 5 String Overwater Jazz so would be a good port of call for a take on their more traditional (fender) approach.

I would have no reservations in recommeding Overwater to anyone, ulitimatley though you pays your money and takes your choice...

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='228556' date='Jun 28 2008, 01:38 PM']Dont know what you have been reading but I have never seen a bad review of an Overwater and the ones I have played were very nice indeed. There are quite a few bass chatters with overwaters but they dont seem to be very active. You could always look in the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showforum=56"]Basschat Overwater forum[/url].[/quote]

Well, as it was the model I was looking at getting, i checked out the Harmonycentral reviews:

[url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Bass/product/Overwater/Progress+Deluxe+5-String/10/1"]http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...e+5-String/10/1[/url]

(can't remember how to embed it as a link)

But judging from what you guys are sayin, they're as good as I hoped they;d be!

Thanks!

I owned a Progress Elite fretless 6 string which was beautifully made the construction was flawless and is what I aspire to in building. At the same time I had a Wal 4 fretless. The build quality of the Overwater was far better than the Wal but I much preferred the sound of the Wal.
I sold both to help fund my own workshop.
Of the custom basses I have seen from a build point of view I think Overwater and Sei are hard to beat.
Alan

Edited by skelf

The question,is based upon several factors,and what you personally are looking for. Build quality,Tone,Look,weight,in no perticular order,they all are factors in what 'We' as players are demanding from 'Them' the luthiers.

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='228372' date='Jun 28 2008, 01:55 AM']Jaydee
Status
E Basses
Sei
GB
Shuker
Overwater
Iceni Zoot
Organic
Wal[/quote]

From the above list, so far I've tried (for longer than 5min :) ) and/or owned Jaydee, Status, Sei, GB, Shuker, Overwater, Iceni Zoot and Wal.

There is NO best bass really. It all boils down to what is the sound you are listening to your head, and how good is the communication pathway between yourself and the luthier to allow the latter to create (within his frame and range of work) an instrument that will only allow you to get closer to you heart and soul, with better ergonomics, playability and TONE (all equally important, but tone is the final frontier).

I've been blessed to have great long-term communication with Martin Petersen (Sei), Rob Green (Status) and Jon Shuker (Shuker) that led to several great basses arriving my way. For the rest of the luthiers I have no personal experience so I cannot comment (I am sure they are on par with the names I referred to)