Why become a member? ×

New bass - '74 Jazz

risingson

I've wanted an early 70's Jazz for a while, I'd long-term borrowed my mate's '71, still one of my all time favourite bass guitars hands down, but it didn't feel like 'mine', so I jumped on this one when I saw it for sale. It's a four-bolt, with the pots dating early '74 (7405) and the neck plate indicating the same year of manufacture.

It came strung with flats, I love the sound and I like doing the best impression of Joe Osborn I can with a pick, but I figured that a nice fresh set of D'Addarios would work better for me. Taken me about an hour to sort out the setup but this thing sounds fat! Solid, growling jazz bass tones. The pic doesn't really do the colour much justice, it's actually a darker more chocolate style burst that I've not seen much of in Fenders of this age. Bloody made up I am!

Here's a quick pic

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1386192175' post='2297117']
I've wanted an early 70's Jazz for a while, I'd long-term borrowed my mate's '71, still one of my all time favourite bass guitars hands down, but it didn't feel like 'mine', so I jumped on this one when I saw it for sale. It's a four-bolt, with the pots dating early '74 (7405) and the neck plate indicating the same year of manufacture.

It came strung with flats, I love the sound and I like doing the best impression of Joe Osborn I can with a pick, but I figured that a nice fresh set of D'Addarios would work better for me. Taken me about an hour to sort out the setup but this thing sounds fat! Solid, growling jazz bass tones. The pic doesn't really do the colour much justice, it's actually a darker more chocolate style burst that I've not seen much of in Fenders of this age. Bloody made up I am!

Here's a quick pic

[/quote]..... Wonderful....

Edited by rogerstodge

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1386192597' post='2297132']
Nice one Liam, a 70s of each now then?
[/quote]

Yeh! Your P isn't going anywhere, I like it way too much.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1386195087' post='2297173']
As a pick player I find the covers are a real pain.
[/quote]

They've come straight off Gary! Tust looks a lot prettier with them on. Totally impractical for me too, I palm mute so much.

Sunburst '74 Jazz Bass, maple board, blocked and bound ? You had better book yourself a one-way ticket to Funk City young man! That looks like a keeper.

I had a very similar Jazz Bass back in the late '80's and it was a pretty hot property. Even back in those days other bass players used to see me playing it and hassle me to sell it to them . Eventually I did. Because I am an idiot.

My dad reliably informed me this evening that he'd owned a 'white Fender' bass guitar back in the 70's. The first time he's ever told me about it what with him being a drummer back then, apparently he sold it to a friend of his. It's not the first time that hindsight is a wonderful thing for him, he also sold a Sex Pistol's first edition copy of Never Mind the Bollocks to another friend which is worth god knows how much today!

Here's another quick pic minus the ashtrays. Interesting marking by the bridge, not sure what could have caused it - maybe some of the bigger Fender nuts might be able to shine some light on this? It's unusual and adds to the quirkiness of the instrument. I do really like it