Why become a member? ×

Sandberg or Musicman

RagaMuffin

Ask yourself if you want to be putting money into German or US pockets. If both options make you feel sick to the core, buy British or Japanese or something else. If you don't care, go for MM and replace the pups with Delano or MEC aftermarket ones and post on the EBMM forum to brag about it. There are are a lot of other options but essentially buy a bass, not a brand. Try them out first. Do some research :-)

Stingray HH has an excellent range of tones, I think it's great, but then I have a go on my 2 EQ Stingray and I think that's fantastic too.
Never played a Sandberg but I'm sure they're fine.
All of the above better than my old Jedson short scale bass!

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1406461549' post='2511593']
So … try them both and pick the one that makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. For me, the Ray always wins in this test - and I say this as someone who owns a Sandberg (a JM4, not a Basic) and loves it. The Sandberg looks great, plays great and sounds great, but every time I plug in the Ray I get the same "[i]Whoah,[/i] [i]f**k yeah[/i]!' thrill that no other bass seems to be able to deliver.
[/quote]

ha! indeed!

I take a break from time to time, and whenever I go back to the Stingray I get that "[i]Whoah,[/i] [i]f**k yeah[/i]!" feeling :)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1406672129' post='2513691']

not arguing with you there... but that only means "stay away from the forum". ;)
[/quote]

Fine but the original idea that the EBMM forum is full of psychos, and by association people who play Musicman basses are psychos is of course a baseless load of nonsense developed by a few idiots and their mates who got themselves banned from it for very good reason, now populating general fora like this one and moaning. Have no fear, the loonies were banned years ago and for the most part they thoroughly deserved it.

There's several people who've replied to this thread who are perfectly level headed and also members of the EBMM forum and play Musicman basses, so let's stop throwing idiotic insults at people eh folks? We re meant to be grown ups after all ;-)

The Musicman forum is generally frequented by Musicman bass enthusiasts (surprise surprise......) - as McNach says you don't have to go there - however I've personally often found it a helpful way of gaining/sharing info and not at all intimidating!!

Sorry to go off topic but threads about Musicman basses invariably throw up this nonsense and believe me it's just that - total nonsense.

Did they manage to get rid of the worst offender? He was very immature at times and down right offensive really, what was his name?... Big..something..... :lol:

FWIW I have owned 6 Stingrays and I have an OLP Silohuette guitar plus I have had my hands on many other EBMM products, some for other members of this forum (see Ern500's topic) but never worried either way about the EBMM forum, If I wanted to argue rubbish about basses and bass amps etc I would just come here :D

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I have seen more faulty sandberg threads than ebmm threads, when you take into account how many more basses ebmm must sell than sandberg that is a tick for ebmm imo, there are currently two faulty sandberg threads right now but im struggling to recall any recent ebmm ones, last one was a twisted neck where everyone slated ebmm on here even though it was a used bass bought via a private sale.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1406913654' post='2515905']
I have seen more faulty sandberg threads than ebmm threads, when you take into account how many more basses ebmm must sell than sandberg that is a tick for ebmm imo, there are currently two faulty sandberg threads right now but im struggling to recall any recent ebmm ones, last one was a twisted neck where everyone slated ebmm on here even though it was a used bass bought via a private sale.
[/quote]

Agreed - and even that was resolved with assistance from the manufacturer.

There've been one or two issues re fret sprout on Talkbass but these were basses which had been hung on the wall in shops during the coldest weather ever recorded in US - and EBMM was by no means not the only manufacturer affected.

I've never had an issue with an EBMM bass - I have six of them and indeed I'm constantly amazed that I can take say my SR5 out to a gig after it's sat in its case for six months in changeable temperature conditions and I find it's still in tune!! Same with the Classic Ray (mine was one of the first in Uk - early/mid 2010) - the startlingly figured maple neck has had no bearing on the stability of the neck to date - I suspect the lacquer assists.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1406925255' post='2516030']
I think my classic is an early one too, not checked the serial though, does is have to be done through the ebmm forum still? Dont you think the sealed finish helps a little or do you think the higher grade maple is what keeps them stable?
[/quote]

Not sure - one of the 'arguments' like body wood makes no difference v it makes a difference on electric instruments is the one that says figured wood and especially birds eye maple is less stable - seems to have come from luthiers in the 90s. I've never had a problem with mine and one is over 20 yrs old.

As for the age of your classic to get a DOB you would have to ask EBMM customer services by email or post in the thread on the forum.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1406925255' post='2516030']
I think my classic is an early one too, not checked the serial though, does is have to be done through the ebmm forum still? Dont you think the sealed finish helps a little or do you think the higher grade maple is what keeps them stable?
[/quote]

Not sure - one of the 'arguments' like body wood makes no difference v it makes a difference on electric instruments is the one that says figured wood and especially birds eye maple is less stable - seems to have come from luthiers in the 90s. I've never had a problem with mine and one is over 20 yrs old. I also have a Sabre on order which will have a figured roasted maple neck with an oil and wax neck finish - I'm guessing the roasting process adds stability so enables a non lacquered finish. I have also heard that the EBMM process of taking a maple fingerboard from the same piece of wood as the neck and gluing it to the front of the neck creates a very stable structure.

As for the age of your classic, to get a DOB you would have to ask EBMM customer services by email or post in the thread on the forum. You could have a look back through the thread and find one with a nearby number to get an estimation but the serials are often not consecutive especially of limited editions.

Interestingly after my poor Sandberg experience the Stingray I owned from new has just popped up for sale and my god am I tempted to give it another go.
Its like its meant to be, serial checks out and it looks as good as it did when i sold it, thought I was done with Stingrays but I'm really excited at the prospect
getting my old one back!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1407274757' post='2519155']
You know it makes sense :D

Serial came back as May 5th 2010 on mine drT so just a bit older than yours but still early, birds eye neck and confirmed as tobacco not retro burst.
[/quote]

Indeed it makes sense :-)

Your 5er is extremely early Pete, must be one of the first in this country. Musicman said from the outset they would rotate the colours available and retro burst started along with natural in the second or third year of production (the colour and format of the burst copied from original bass 28 from the 1976 production which is owned by the CEO and is pictured on the Musicman.org website somewhere). The original burst offered was tobacco burst as your bass. The pastel colours stopped after the first year or less of production.

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1407259456' post='2518923']
Interestingly after my poor Sandberg experience the Stingray I owned from new has just popped up for sale and my god am I tempted to give it another go.
Its like its meant to be, serial checks out and it looks as good as it did when i sold it, thought I was done with Stingrays but I'm really excited at the prospect
getting my old one back!
[/quote]

Hi Subbeh,
Did you hear from Sandberg, or Thomann with regard to your issues with the Sandberg basses you had, and if so, what did they say?
For myself , I contacted Sandberg via Facebook as per Ghost bass' suggestion, and from there I was recommended to contact Sandberg service dep't. This I duly did, but surprise surprise, no reply!
As a last resort I contacted the UK retailer to ask their advice (attaching pictures to illustrate my points), but I've not received a reply from them either!
Man, this sucks, and the longer this goes on, and the more effort that has to go in to getting the relevant parties to sort out their
responsibilities, the madder (is that a word?) I get!

Grrrrrrr, Pete

(Hope you had better luck than I !).

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1407327824' post='2519450']
I probably shouldn't have pulled the original preamp out then, lol :lol:
[/quote]

Your bass, your choice. The East version is said to replicate the 1977 version of the pre amp whereas the standard is based on the 1979 version - I'm guessing you kept the original so you can revert back if you wanted to sell it.