Why become a member? ×

Adjusting action advice

badboy1984

I wanted to adjust my musicman bongo action by a little bit.

I've restrung the bass and it seems the action is slightly high by a bit. I've capo 1 and fret down the e string on the 12th fret and the gap between the string and the fret very narrow so i guess the truss rod doesn't need adjusting? Maybe straighten it by a little?

The next thing to lower the action is to adjust the bridge string heights?

When you check the neck relief capo the first fret as you did then hold the E string down at the fret over where the neck joins the body. Check the gap between fret and string at the 7th fret. Others will suggest other frets. I usually go for a gap of about 0.30mm which is about the thickness of a business card.

As for string height (action), that is a very personal thing. If you like digging in a higher action might be best. Lower if you are a gentle player. Remember though, the higher the action the more you'll have to adjust the intonation. When you fret the string you are stretching it. Tune the open string to pitch. Pick the harmonic at the twelfth fret and then fret it and pick it again. If there is a difference in tuning the intonation needs adjusting.

String were completely dead when i got the bass, but i think is a set of 40-100. I've put a set of balance tension on which is 45-107. Slightly higher then my usual taste but is still comfortable to play, I don't play gentle so i don't need uber low action. I think i will re check the action again and see what happen. If the gap between the string and the fret is thicker then a business card size i just straighten the neck a bit to see what happen.

At least the musicman bass truss rod wheel is easier to adjust then my fender jazz where you have to take the neck out completely to adjust .....

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1384875056' post='2281729']
If the gap between the string and the fret is thicker then a business card size i just straighten the neck a bit to see what happen.
[/quote]

Yes. Keep checking how the strings play on every fret so there is no buzzing.

Brief hijack...sorry...

I set up my 50th jazz a little while back and adjusted the truss rod .I asked about it at the time and was told, right turn to tighten (less relief) and left turn to loosen (more relief). The adjustment is at the body end of the neck. I also have an 83 jazz that I may need to adjust but the adjustment is at the headstock.... Is it still right turn (clockwise) to tighten and left turn (anticlockwise) to loosen? Or does that change as the rod is the other way round?

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1385115307' post='2284561']
Brief hijack...sorry...

I set up my 50th jazz a little while back and adjusted the truss rod .I asked about it at the time and was told, right turn to tighten (less relief) and left turn to loosen (more relief). The adjustment is at the body end of the neck. I also have an 83 jazz that I may need to adjust but the adjustment is at the headstock.... Is it still right turn (clockwise) to tighten and left turn (anticlockwise) to loosen? Or does that change as the rod is the other way round?
[/quote]

Same rule applies Rob

It could be that it's as good as it'll get, but straightening the neck and then raising the action until it stops rattling the frets isn't necessarily the best way to get a low action. Try lowering the action and let us know where on the board it starts to rattle. Bear in mind that as mentioned everyone has different playing styles, and that strings vibrate the most at the centre of their length. It may well be that setting the relief to a height that suits someone else isn't going to work with your style.

Edited by Musky

You could try lying the bass on its back on a table. Then look at the side of the neck, hold down the E string at each fret and look along the neck as you do that. You might be able to see where the strings are catching the frets. If it's trouble from 7th up, the neck might not be straight enough yet.

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1385460024' post='2288422']
I've completely give up on lowering the action. Is either 1-4 fret buzz or 6-25 fret buzz.

I'm gonna take it to the guitar tech i use to go and ask him to lower it down for me since he did all my bass perfectly on my requirement.
[/quote]

Nothing wrong with getting a good tech to take a look - but I'd advise asking him for his diagnosis - so you can spot it in the future ;)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1385115307' post='2284561']
Brief hijack...sorry...

[/quote]

Actually, although the truss on my precision neck, where the access is at the body, follows the rule that you turn right to tighten and left to loosen, my Jazz neck (which has access at the headstock) is the opposite way around. You'll be able to confirm that yourself, when you adjust the neck on your 83 jazz.

Edited by gjones