Why become a member? ×

Does anyone play in an 80's covers/tribute band?

paul h

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1384450919' post='2276913']
So there's a healthy market for them then?
[/quote]

I would say they work ...

Not sure if they are popular because of what they do... or because they are the most likely live music source.
I think there are too many of them, tbh, personally, but you'd have to do detailed research on the numbers they pulled in.

I wouldn't say any of the bands were a BIG pull, although some get healthy crowds.
I say that because they typically don't or can't sell tickets - almost 100% exclusively pubs - and don't get great money at parties.
Which is kind of odd as Rewind is pretty big..iirc.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1384452538' post='2276937']

I would say they work ...

Not sure if they are popular because of what they do... or because they are the most likely live music source.
I think there are too many of them, tbh, personally, but you'd have to do detailed research on the numbers they pulled in.

I wouldn't say any of the bands were a BIG pull, although some get healthy crowds.
I say that because they typically don't or can't sell tickets - almost 100% exclusively pubs - and don't get great money at parties.
Which is kind of odd as Rewind is pretty big..iirc.
[/quote]

Interesting, thanks for the insight.

Not that I pay a lot of attention but most bands round here seem to be of the Mustang Sally, Sweet Home Alabama variety. So I think maybe I wouldn't be any worse off gigs/money wise by going the 80's route.

I think it might be nice to play some different material for a change!

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1384452037' post='2276927']
Dave Vader used to be in one (still deps occasionally for them I think).
[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up. If he doesn't spot this thread I might send him a pm.

Edited by paul h

As I say, there are many around here.... so anything that is different from the norm would be welcome.
So, turnng that around. if an 80's band is in the minority around your way, then that is good for you guys, IMO.

The last things a local scene needs..IMV..is same old, same old

I played in a Cure covers band that concentrated on their 1980s material. I was amazed at how well attended the gigs were and it paid well so there's definitely a good market for bands covering songs of that era. I'm based over in Enfield, not all that far from Hemel and might be interested in helping out on the programming side of things if you're thinking of doing the more electronic 80s stuff.

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1384469861' post='2277220']
I played in a Cure covers band that concentrated on their 1980s material. I was amazed at how well attended the gigs were and it paid well so there's definitely a good market for bands covering songs of that era. I'm based over in Enfield, not all that far from Hemel and might be interested in helping out on the programming side of things if you're thinking of doing the more electronic 80s stuff.
[/quote]

Thanks for the offer...will definitely keep you in mind!

[quote name='paul h' ]
Putting an 80's cover band together is starting to appeal to me so I thought I would see who here has experience of them.
[/quote]

My band does quite a lot of '80s material and we have done the odd '80s-only night. You are going to need a really good keyboard player, someone who is more than a converted piano player, if you want to get the sound right.

Ultimately it's all about where the disposable income is. A lot of people who have fond memories of student years or were at a time in their lives when music got important to them in the 80's are now getting to an age where a lot of their mortgage is paid off or they have successfully seen offspring through college or left home and don't have quite as much financial burden. They then have a bit more spare cash to be getting out to the pub more often and over the next 10 years there will be more of them that were in their early 20's in the 80's so the demand might actually increase. I like a lot of 60's music but I'd be cautious opting into a dedicated 60's pub band these days as that audience aren't really the typical pub goers any more, it would have to be theatre/club work as those are the sorts of venues that the 60's audience now go for (seats, early starts and if possible shows featuring one of the bands original members etc). It was brought home to me how time moves on when my band (doing lots of 90's stuff) were recently asked to do someone's [i]40th[/i] birthday party. That was what they were nostalgic about, it was 20 years ago!

^^^ This is the kind of validation I was hoping for :D

Most of the musicians I talk to (Ok...I mean my band) can't get past the "People like ([i]insert almost any song from The Blues Brothers or The Commitments here[/i]) so we must play it!"

My argument is that there is a dwindling audience for the older stuff. I'm 43 and I am pretty sick of just being bombarded by the same half a dozen 60's songs by every pub band in the world...ever! (or so it seems some times)

Now I'm not hugely nostalgic about the 80's but I would rather play and listen to the music that was around when I was growing up. I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in that :)

Actually I find most 80's pop music risible (I did when it was in the charts in the first place) but I see the opportunities from a business point of view ;) It will get a tirade of abuse on here from the purists but you can probably get away with murder if you can find a drummer who is good at working to click tracks, could have a lot of complex synth stuff triggered from keyboardist on stage who then might only have to competent enough to put a relatively simple extra layer on live. probably happened that way half the time live in the 80's anyway!

Edited by KevB

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1384524233' post='2277708']
Actually I find most 80's pop music risible (I did when it was in the charts in the first place) but I see the opportunities from a business point of view ;)
[/quote]

To be honest I was listening to Iron Maiden at the time so I HATED most 80's songs :D

But I guess going back and listening to it now I can appreciate it much more.

The other night I took a list of all the number ones from the 80's, removed the novelty songs and the most cringeworthy ones.

Then I chose what I felt were the "best" songs by artists with multiple number ones.

I ended up with a list of 60 songs that are in fact pretty decent. The Jam, The Police, David Bowie and Blondie all had number ones. Of course the expected bands were there...Spandau Ballet, Duran Duran etc. Some nice surprises too...Yazz and Chaka Khan.

Turned out to be a pretty good set list :)

Edited by paul h

Actually...after distilling the list of numbers ones it's pretty apparent it wasn't as slaptastic or electronic as most people think. For those interested here is my list...

Pretenders - Brass in Pocket
The Jam - Going Underground
Blondie - Call Me
David Bowie - Ashes to Ashes
The Police - Don't Stand So Close Me
Bucks Fizz - Making Your Mind Up
Adam and the Ants - Stand and Deliver
Aneka - Japanese Boy
Soft Cell - Tainted Love
The Police - Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
The Human League - Don't You Want Me
Madness - House of Fun
Charlene - I've Never Been to Me
Irene Cara - Fame
Survivor - Eye of the Tiger
Culture Club - Do You Really Want to Hurt Me
Eddy Grant - I Don't Wanna Dance
Phil Collins - You Can't Hurry Love
Men at Work - Down Under
Kajagoogoo - Too Shy
Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of the Heart
Duran Duran - Is There Something I Should Know?
Spandau Ballet - TRUE
New Edition - Candy Girl
Paul Young - Wherever I Lay My Hat (That's My Home)
UB40 - Red Red Wine
Culture Club - Karma Chameleon
Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Relax
Nena - 99 Red Balloons
Wham! - Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go
Chaka Khan - I Feel for You
Dead or Alive - You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)
Philip Bailey (duet with Phil Collins) - Easy Lover
Eurythmics - There Must Be an Angel (Playing with My Heart)
Madonna - Into the Groove
Whitney Houston - Saving All My Love for You
Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls
a-ha - The Sun Always Shines on T.V.
Billy Ocean - When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get Going
Diana Ross -Chain Reaction
Falco - Rock Me Amadeus
Madonna - Papa Don't Preach
Chris de Burgh - The Lady in Red
Europe - The Final Countdown
Aretha Franklin and George Michael - I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me)
Starship - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now
Whitney Houston - I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)
Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up
Tiffany - I Think We're Alone Now
Kylie Minogue - I Should Be So Lucky
Aswad - Don't Turn Around
Fairground Attraction - Perfect
Bros - I Owe You Nothing
Yazz and the Plastic Population - The Only Way Is Up
The Bangles - Eternal Flame
Soul II Soul feat. Caron Wheeler - Back to Life (However Do You Want Me)
Black Box - Ride on Time
Lisa Stansfield - All Around the World
New Kids on the Block - You Got It (The Right Stuff)

Edited by paul h

Are you the guy who's hiring and wants the rest of the band to learn 200 songs straight away then? ;)That list confirmed what i thought, for every song I quite like and wouldn't mind playing there are at least 4 or 5 that not only wouldn't I want to play but not that bothered if I never even hear the original versions again either. I think it was because 'classic rock' (though the term wasn't around then)got a new lease of life in the early 80's with NWOBHM and spin offs of great 70's bands (eg Gillan, Whiesnake and Rainbow from the remnants of Deep Purple)and charted both at album and singles level so the electronica just passed my by mostly. Some acts such as Pretenders, Jam etc were OK but most of the others seemed no more than the worst 'bubblegum' music of the 60's.

Edited by KevB

I have recently joined an 80s band and had some strong misgivings about the cheesier side of the tracks that had been selected before I teamed up with them. 2 gigs on and I am really getting into the spirit of it - we really went down well and people kept saying how refreshing it was to hear something different (not many 80s bands in SE Essex, it seems). But, yes, as well as the cheese there was some quality stuff from that era - Tears For Fears, Simple Minds, Spandau ballet, Hall and Oates, INXS, plus all the hair rock/power ballads - Foreigner, Starship, Journey, Toto etc. I've even started to enjoy playing 'Eye Of The Tiger' - heaven help me. I guess there is no cure once that has happened.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1384527148' post='2277767']
[b]Are you the guy who's hiring and wants the rest of the band to learn 200 songs straight away then? ;)[/b]That list confirmed what i thought, for every song I quite like and wouldn't mind playing there are at least 4 or 5 that not only wouldn't I want to play but not that bothered if I never even hear the original versions again either. I think it was because 'classic rock' (though the term wasn't around then)got a new lease of life in the early 80's with NWOBHM and spin offs of great 70's bands (eg Gillan, Whiesnake and Rainbow from the remnants of Deep Purple)and charted both at album and singles level so the electronica just passed my by mostly. Some acts such as Pretenders, Jam etc were OK but most of the others seemed no more than the worst 'bubblegum' music of the 60's.
[/quote]

What? No :D As I said previously my concept is to stick to the number ones. That list has 60 songs on it.

Well it's all personal taste and I wouldn't knock anyone for liking a particular type of music. I for one could go my entire life without hearing another "classic rock" song :D I loved that stuff when I was a kid...but that was a long, long time ago :D I think it's the leather trouser wearing, rock god posturing that goes with as much as anything :D I just like my music to be fun :)

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1384527475' post='2277772']
I have recently joined an 80s band and had some strong misgivings about the cheesier side of the tracks that had been selected before I teamed up with them. 2 gigs on and I am really getting into the spirit of it - we really went down well and people kept saying how refreshing it was to hear something different (not many 80s bands in SE Essex, it seems). But, yes, as well as the cheese there was some quality stuff from that era - Tears For Fears, Simple Minds, Spandau ballet, Hall and Oates, INXS, plus all the hair rock/power ballads - Foreigner, Starship, Journey, Toto etc. I've even started to enjoy playing 'Eye Of The Tiger' - heaven help me. I guess there is no cure once that has happened.
[/quote]

I was surprised how many bands didn't actually make it to number one. I would love to stick to the number one only concept for the convenience of it but I imagine I would need to throw in some Go West etc. :)

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1384523954' post='2277707']
^^^ This is the kind of validation I was hoping for :D

Most of the musicians I talk to (Ok...I mean my band) can't get past the "People like ([i]insert almost any song from The Blues Brothers or The Commitments here[/i]) so we must play it!"

My argument is that there is a dwindling audience for the older stuff. I'm 43 and I am pretty sick of just being bombarded by the same half a dozen 60's songs by every pub band in the world...ever! (or so it seems some times)

Now I'm not hugely nostalgic about the 80's but I would rather play and listen to the music that was around when I was growing up. I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in that :)
[/quote]

Aha. Sir, you are a bass player who is thinking straight. I too have a dislike for what I call "Old Man Pub Rock". So what if you can twiddle away, set your geetar on fire and play a few Hendrix songs?

There are some "music pubs" where that is called for, but my guess is that pubs are filled with 30, 40 and 50 somethings who are not remotely interested in whether someone is the 76th best guitarist in the county or not.

I think a lot of people will turn up to pubs only vaguely realising that there is a band on, so you need to cater for the masses and give them populist stuff. I think your 80s notion is a good one, although don't neglect the 90s.

We're out tonight and the set will be filled with things like Park Life, Mr Brightside, House of Fun, Walk Like an Egyptian, some Oasis stuff, 99 Red Balloons, Disco 2000, Stand and Deliver, Video Killed the Radio Star, Tainted Love, Chelsea Dagger etc. Real fun up-tempo stuff .... and not a bald man with a bandana and tight jeans in sight.

Edited by The Dark Lord

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1384528005' post='2277779']
Hope you've got a really good singer Paul, that 80's stadium rock stuff is the easiest stuff in the world to sing[i] really badly. [/i]The guys that can pull it off convincingly are worth their weight in gold to a band.
[/quote]

Well the full story is this: I have been talked into rejoining my old band with the promise of well paid wedding and function gigs. However that is what I was told the first time I joined and that never happened :D Since I left, their set list seems to have gone back in time at least 10 years.

I'm not convinced the big gigs will happen...and I am not convinced I will want to stick around playing Proud Mary and Do You Love Me and Shake a Tail Feather, with Valerie and Sex on Fire thrown in etc.

So the plan is to talk to the guys about it and see if they like the idea. I am sure they will say no as they do seem to prefer sticking to I, IV, V whenever possible :D So I fully expect to be having to put a new project together myself.

With regards to singer ability...I feel there is enough play in the list...and a lot more number ones I haven't listed...to be able to pick and choose the songs that suit whatever singer I end up with best.

Of course...it might never happen :D