Why become a member? ×

This is a scam, isn't it?

AndyBob09

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][size=4]The other night on Gumtree I saw a great bass for an unbelievable price (a bass that goes for £750 - £950 second hand for £400). I PM'd the owner through Gumtree Mail and about 14 hours later, I received a reply saying, "I am out of the office, please contact me home at [email address].[/size][/font]

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][size=4]I thought that was a bit fishy so sent him the same email I sent him via Gumtree Mail to the email address specified. I asked if he could post it, however, for the bargain of a price he was offering, I wouldn't mind getting a train from Glasgow to London to pick up in person. He got back promptly with this message:

"i can post,[/size][/font][color=#000000][font=Helvetica, Arial][size=3]

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][size=4]We can close the deal through PayZone a local store near you.[/size][/font]
[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][size=4]You will have the opportunity to try the item at your address.[/size][/font]
[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][size=4]The transaction will be like cash on delivery, let me know if you're interested."[/size][/font]

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][size=4]I replied and asked if what he is saying (I know it's not) is that he'll post to me and I'll pay him when it's delivered.[/size][/font]

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][size=4]He's yet to get back to me but this is definitely a scam, eh? If he reckons I can go to London for cash on collection, should I take him up or will that never happen cos he's a scamming arsehole?[/size][/font][/size][/font][/color]

YES it is a well worn scam. you pay at your end and get sent a box of fresh air if you are lucky.

If he actually said yes to cash on collection. I imagine, after a 500 mile journey, you would be mugged at knife point or some similar exquisite occurance.

Edited by daz

Maybe it is something like this. They claim that you pay them through some weird payment method (ie, payzone), then UPS bring it to you, then you can get a refund if you want. Except you can't and can't get it back.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3591725

If you want to go ahead with it, I would go for cash on collection or paypal.

But personally, I probably wouldn't, and if you listen to your own head, you know you don't want to either!

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' timestamp='1384382296' post='2276146']
Yup :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/222240-gumtree-stingray-5-in-guildford/page__p__2275843#entry2275843"]http://basschat.co.u...43#entry2275843[/url]
[/quote]

Ha! I beat you in the queue though. I found it at about 3am ;)

But yes, thanks for linking to that. I knew it was a scam when I saw it but I just wanted it to be true so had delve deeper.