Why become a member? ×

Bravewood vs Fender Custom Shop

cameltoe

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1384635462' post='2279068']
It's a piece of wood and metal, and a little plastic. They are all different. On their own, they are nothing. If they fall into the hands of the right players, who the wood and metal and plastic fit perfectly with their bodies and minds, then the wood and metal and plastic can facilitate the magical feelings in the bassists who hold them. Everything good about a bass is in the player.

I have the bass that makes me feel like this, it's a 1983 USA Fender Jazz. I have played some '60s Fenders, they were all bad for me. Oddly, a beat up old Ricky 4001 really made me feel magical a few years ago, and I hate Rickys. It's spiritual man, no bass has a spirit despite what vintage sellers tell you. The spirit, and the magic, is in the player.

It's just wood and metal and plastic. It has no soul.
[/quote]
No-one said it had a soul, I think your getting a bit excited. It's simply about how it feels in your hands, nothing more. Vintage sellers don't tell me anything, or need to tell me anything, I know a great bass when I play one. Nothing spiritual about it, and that wasn't implied or intended, your words. As for your quote "Everything good about a bass is in the player", with respect, I think that's a total load of old balls, in fact, its probably the biggest load of old balls I've ever heard whilst talking about guitars. But we all have our opinions. :P

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1384636421' post='2279094']
Went and tried a few today, and none felt magical :(

That magic is very much what I'm after. If my RW Precision can do it for me, surely another can?

I'm not going to buy anything that doesn't speak to me in that 'magical' way.
[/quote]
You'll find it, just keep looking, and playing them, or maybe it will find you, as also happens.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1384637434' post='2279107']
No-one said it had a soul, I think your getting a bit excited. It's simply about how it feels in your hands, nothing more. Vintage sellers don't tell me anything, or need to tell me anything, I know a great bass when I play one. Nothing spiritual about it, and that wasn't implied or intended, your words. As for your quote "Everything good about a bass is in the player", with respect, I think that's a total load of old balls, in fact, its probably the biggest load of old balls I've ever heard whilst talking about guitars. But we all have our opinions. :P
[/quote]

Yes, I AM excited. That's why I am still so passionate about music and musical equipment after all these years.

When have you ever heard an artist or a sculptor raving about the magic of their brushes and chisels? It's all in the mind mate.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1384637810' post='2279113']
Yes, I AM excited. That's why I am still so passionate about music and musical equipment after all these years.

When have you ever heard an artist or a sculptor raving about the magic of their brushes and chisels? It's all in the mind mate.
[/quote]
You continue to contradict yourself, which I've just noticed somebody else pointed out. How can you be so passionate about musical equipment???, apparently it's all in your fingers. I'm damn sure a painter and sculptor have tried all manner of tools and brushes, and have a set that they have found that they wouldn't part with, as they feel special to them. I bet they don't just get some from B&Q and use them. A chisel doesn't have hundreds of components that when they are all aligned and performing perfectly, and beautifully worn in, have a magical quality.....do they?? All musicians I know would all claim that some instruments have that rare quality that makes them magical, including classical musicians, and guitarists, without exception. I'm done on this thread. :rolleyes:

Edited by Rick's Fine '52

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1384638517' post='2279121']
You continue to contradict yourself, which I've just noticed somebody else pointed out. How can you be so passionate about musical equipment???, apparently it's all in your fingers. I'm damn sure a painter and sculptor have tried all manner of tools and brushes, and have a set that they have found that they wouldn't part with, as they feel special to them. I bet they don't just get some from B&Q and use them. All musicians I know would all claim that some instruments have that rare quality that makes them magical, including classical musicians, and guitarists, without exception. I'm done on this thread. :rolleyes:
[/quote]
Why you done?

I am NOT contradicting myself. The magic comes from the player finding the right equipment according to their body and mind's needs and perception. Just because someone thinks a certain bass is magical for whatever reason doesn't mean the bass has magic, does it. It's all in the mind.

Calm down you two! Come watch X Factor.

As the OP, I don't know where the magic comes from, but I've felt it three times my whole life. A circa '94 MIJ Precision, my RW, and the Custom Shop I once tried. The first two on the list, other people have commented on just how special they feel, so I know it's not just me.

Never played a true vintage fender. Would love to.

Edited by cameltoe

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1384638852' post='2279123']
Why you done?

I am NOT contradicting myself. The magic comes from the player finding the right equipment according to their body and mind's needs and perception. Just because someone thinks a certain bass is magical for whatever reason doesn't mean the bass has magic, does it. It's all in the mind.
[/quote] Whatevs. Actually smiling. :D

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1384639110' post='2279126']
Calm down you two! Come watch X Factor.

As the OP, I don't know where the magic comes from, but I've felt it three times my whole life. A circa '94 MIJ Precision, my RW, and the Custom Shop I once tried.

Never played a true vintage fender. Would love to.
[/quote]
Don't bother looking anymore, what you need is a set of pre-CBS fingers!! :lol:

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1384639496' post='2279132']
Please explain to us why a bass has magic for one bassist and not another then.
[/quote]
I haven't, and wouldn't say it does, in my experience, when I've found a bass to be 'magical' (your word, so we'll stick with it), everyone else has thought the same. When another bass player who knows their onions, has claimed a bass to be special, and I've played it, I've agreed. It doesn't happen often, but you would know when it does.

I'm with Rick on this.
I also play guitar and for a time designed and built valve guitar amps.
Some guitars really do sing. They have a special 'something'.
I have a Strat type guitar, custom made one piece body and warmoth neck. It sustains for ever, notes just hang in there and you can coax it into feeding back almost on cue.
Every now and then I take it on a gig and just love it. (I don't gig it much because I've been into Les Pauls for a few years but it gets more use these days)
It is the same with bass guitars too. Sometimes the components all hang together, the wood and the electronics, and bingo. The special one.
Sure, I can play anything and often I do but sometimes an instrument really does speak to you.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1384637810' post='2279113']

[/quote] as an sometime artist, and sculptor... and having hung around with other artists and sculptors.... don't be stupid - of course we do!
I lost my best brush, had it stolen I think when I took it into a school by accident. not been able to afford to replace it, it was quite upsetting.

LukeFRC MA; BA(Hons) Sculpture.

I'm lucky enough to have had a number of basses. Some are very well built instruments, some less well built but Some you find are a bit special, or magical your word, and you give them to other people to try and they go oooo too.
I've found that in very very expensive instruments and also the bitsa I put together based on a squire MIJ silver series jazz.