Why become a member? ×

Ritter, Aguilar, Bergantino - Apparently a great sounding combination!

molan

Talking about Ampeg failures...and maybe we shouldn't., in view of the Soundgarden gig, a friend of mine told me
both Ampegs failed on a bill recently.

I know a amp tech who really isn't keep on them... so I guess he sees a few, plus some of them are so heavy he can't get them onto his
workbench, but then he is retired a few years...

Barrie, would you agree that for the difference in price and the fact that it's Class D (so no valve maintenance hassle), the TH500 gives a close enough tone and offers reliability, portability and volumes that would be great for gigging musicians?

I've always viewed most +500w heads as a 'touring' head, intended to be used for much larger venues and feel that while it would be nice (possibly a luxury) to regularly gig a DB head, the impact that regular use would have on the valves (and my back!) does not warrant it being viewed as the 'must-have' amp, despite its lack of competition on the tone front.

I also find that in most bigger venues, I end up using the PA for the FOH volume and my TH preamp offers a lovely tone via the DI, meaning most of the time, my rig is for monitoring purposes for me in these situations and 500w head is loud enough. In smaller venues, 500w also seems to be loud enough and offers a nice source of sound.

I've been thinking about getting a new head and just wondering whether you think its worth going with the 'work horse' TH500 or just go full throttle and get a DB751?

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1383513364' post='2265407']
Barrie, would you agree that for the difference in price and the fact that it's Class D (so no valve maintenance hassle), the TH500 gives a close enough tone and offers reliability, portability and volumes that would be great for gigging musicians?

I've always viewed most +500w heads as a 'touring' head, intended to be used for much larger venues and feel that while it would be nice (possibly a luxury) to regularly gig a DB head, the impact that regular use would have on the valves (and my back!) does not warrant it being viewed as the 'must-have' amp, despite its lack of competition on the tone front.

I also find that in most bigger venues, I end up using the PA for the FOH volume and my TH preamp offers a lovely tone via the DI, meaning most of the time, my rig is for monitoring purposes for me in these situations and 500w head is loud enough. In smaller venues, 500w also seems to be loud enough and offers a nice source of sound.

I've been thinking about getting a new head and just wondering whether you think its worth going with the 'work horse' TH500 or just go full throttle and get a DB751?
[/quote]

I think it really depends on the type of gigs you're doing. I know of at least two pretty heavyweight touring pros who use a DB751 with a single or pair of 410's for large stage gigs and then a TH500 and a pair of SL112s for club gigs.

Personally I'd think that a TH500 running into high sensitivity cabs along with good FOH support would handle most gigs.

The TH is never quite going to capture the depth the DB has but it can certainly cover a lot of bases :)

I used to run my TH500 with 2 Berg AE112 cabs and had both volume controls at 12 o'clock. That was a very loud rig.

Now I'm using the Berg CN212, which must be a more sensitive cab because, to reach the same volume, I only need to run the Master at 10 o'clock.

I don't often get FOH, so the moral of the story is to choose your cabs very carefully for best tone, volume and headroom.

The tone hammer is the best head around and will be enough for most things. And will make any bass sound amazing.

I use them with one twelve inch Vanderkley or one aguilar SL. When It needs to be properly loud put 2 times 12 together. And that's usually a happy bassist and band.

I've had the comment quite a few times from sound engineers : "man that little thing will be enough you think??"... They usually come after the gig saying how phat and big the bass sounded.

One comment once was "I've seen Aguilar before, small but it makes your ************* balls shake"....

true and best all around head.... I have gone a TH 350 and a 500!

abosolute beautiful....

Edited by pierreganseman