Why become a member? ×

Double Bass Stand

gypsyjazzer

The floor!

I'd like to get a good stand but they all look a bit unsafe to me so for now it's the floor or facing inwards in a corner.
I'd like to hear which stands are rock solid though because the floor at pub gigs worries me as well.

I use a Kinsman Cello/Double bass stand. It's sturdy and has never fallen over, despite having two kids running past it on a regular basis! To me it''s safer than propping it up in the corner of the room, which is what I used to do. Must admit I only use it to store my bass at home though, I've never tried using it for a gig ...

Where's it for?

At a gig, the only stand that really works is the floor.

At home I use a rather nice K&M jobbie, but I also have a Kinsman folding thing which is fine (except for the long-drawn-out folding process) and a lightweight Thomann folding thing which is ideal for my KK Baby Bass and just about useable for a 3/4 DB.

Hi Guys
Thanks for the replies. Where's it for?---gigs mainly. The floor is the best option but most gigs floor space is limited. It is surprising the number of front line muso's that will walk into the bass when on the floor! It as you know big enough to be seen---Perhaps before a gig is to issue out 'specs for everybody. A corner is great but not all gigs have suitable corners---bar area/table/chairs/TV-etc. in the way.

K&M 141 Mk2 stand has not let me down yet. Reliable, stable, top quality for gigs and at home. I did modify it by lining the edges of its end-pin tray so that the sharp edges don't grind marks into my nicely turned wooden end-pin stopper. I don't like putting my db on the floor at gigs, usually not enough room and I've seen danger of the bridge getting kicked by other band members as they trip past in the dark, avoiding cables and bottles of beer. But I guess that's rock n roll.

Though i dont gig ive been using a[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/hercules_stands_hcds590b_double_bass_stand.htm"] hercules stand[/url]. nice wide footprint and small outriggers but no way of securing the bass to the stand.
its rather weighty and dont fold up much past in half size.

Edited by Owencf

[quote name='Owencf' timestamp='1383394919' post='2263983']
Though i dont gig ive been using a[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/hercules_stands_hcds590b_double_bass_stand.htm"] hercules stand[/url]. nice wide footprint and small outriggers but no way of securing the bass to the stand.
its rather weighty and dont fold up much past in half size.
[/quote]
Same here, the bow hanger is a nice touch too, although it only folds in half I find its nice and flat so it can be put underneath all my other gear or even slid on top as its quite thin when folded.

I also have a Hercules. Hercules products in general are simply fantastic.
My first double bass stand was by Italian company, Proel - Big mistake, that purchase. Awful design, and poor quality.

The Hercules does take up a fair bit of room, as the design of the stand means your bass is angled quite far back, so you have to have the stand positioned a fair way out from a wall to keep the head of your bass from making contact with a wall, but the product quality is second-to-none.

Hercules are good . Personally I like these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stentor-1562-Cello-Double-Stand/dp/B002R0GBP4

The curved feet are padded with rubber and are adjustable and mean that you can set the height according to the length of the end pin. With some stands you have to put your end pin back in . The other feature is that I think is important is that it has an extendable arm that holds the neck in place. With some other stands if the bass gets accidentally knocked it can simply push out sideways from the stand as the point of contact is rather low.

I use it for orchestra rehearsals where at break times the 50 or so musicians in the band all weave through the seats past my DB off for their cup of tea - never had a problem. This one also has a bow hook ....works for me!

[quote name='henrywillard' timestamp='1383437495' post='2264570']
I also have a Hercules. Hercules products in general are simply fantastic.
My first double bass stand was by Italian company, Proel - Big mistake, that purchase. Awful design, and poor quality.

The Hercules does take up a fair bit of room, as the design of the stand means your bass is angled quite far back, so you have to have the stand positioned a fair way out from a wall to keep the head of your bass from making contact with a wall, but the product quality is second-to-none.
[/quote]
My bass has a fairly curved back so although it sits up tall in the stand it wants to slip backwards which as you say means pulling the stand quite far from the corner, but, I have used a chunk of foam (good old Stagg packing foam :lol: ) to put behind the scroll so I have got the bass tucked back as far as possible into the corner :)

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1383471658' post='2264683']
Personally I like these [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stentor-1562-Cello-Double-Stand/dp/B002R0GBP4"]http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/B002R0GBP4[/url]
[/quote]

I have one of these, works for home and gigs, also means I don't have to retract and extend the end pin all the time (which is good because it's a complete b**ch to do on mine).

I've been using [url="http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5405514.htm"]these[/url] for years in the house and on gigs.

[attachment=147538:IMG_0818.jpg]

You just need some 22mm pipe wrap to protect the bass.

Once yo've got the height and width adjusted they are very stable.

They pack up flat and are inexpensive.

Edited by Mr Bassman