Why become a member? ×

Line Selector Pedal

flameboy87

Hey guys and gals. I'm putting together a bass rig for myself and I have decided to run two bass signals by splitting the signal of my bass with a line selector.

I'm not too knowledgeable about these pedals and am finding it difficult to find exactly what I am looking for. My setup is quite complex (well a small bit more complex than most I have seen anyway) but I do know what I want from the line selector.

1) I want it to be true bypass in each channel so the tone wont be coloured
2) I want to be able to run each signal separate to each other
3) I also want to be able to run both signals at the same time depending on the effects i want to run.

I will be running two separate cabs for this which is a pain but it seems to be the only way to get the sound I am looking for.

If anyone knows of one of these pedals or whether I would be better off getting one made as a custom pedal then I would appreciate any input,

Cheers

Why run two amps/cabs?, just have a line selector (Boss, SFX, COG, Lehle etc) that have two channels into one output.
The Boss does not allow you to run each channel independently as well as both together (on one setting anyway), which is a shame. My SFX does, and COG have built a similar one to that which also includes phase adjustment.

All of those mix to a single output, meaning you have two channels into one amp. If you want something with an output for each channel (so into two amps), some further research you may have to undertake* ;)

Si

*went a bit Yoda there

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1382833050' post='2257124']
Defo speak to Tom @ COG.
Alternatively; i'll have a ls2 for sale soon. Tom's building me a replacement.
[/quote]

Same here, I have the first, that I know of atleast, line selector type pedal that Tom has sold? I maybe wrong though.

But to the OP. The easiest thing to do will be use a LS-2 since they are readily available. Not too bypass but when it's on I wouldn't say ny tone suffered from using it and through a big full range PA I only really noticed a suck in the very high end.

Although I will warn against using 2 bass rigs. There is a lot of added complexity in running two amps at the same time, even with different effects plus the added cost.

Why do you want to use two bass rigs?

I want two bass outputs for the simple reason that I find a huge suck on the bass when I use certain effects. It will give me more room to add different dimensions to my sound but still keep that low end. I hate listening to music that has no "umph" to it so I can't see why I would end up doing it myself. I wouldn't be looking for volume on each signal tho because there would be a 2nd preamp there where I could control the sound separately.

That big shot seems to be perfect for what I'm looking for, thanks for that. I never understood why boss don't have true bypass in there ls-2 but I'm sure they have their reasons :) I also wanted to have the option to run the two at the same time and switch between a and b in songs for added flexibility. The only thing its missing is some leds to let you know which channel you are using :P think I might price the custom just to have that extra feature :D thanks for all your help everyone.

[quote name='flameboy87' timestamp='1382874495' post='2257368']
Oh and added cost wont be much, i have nearly everything I need :) what complexities are you thinking Prime_BASS. I have thought the idea through alot but would like to be aware of something I might have missed.
[/quote]

Well Ive tried and its safe enough, but you need to be aware of where you'll be gigging and with who, Ive had some right pissy sound men that got in a hump when I wanted a guitar cab miccing for bass and the bass amp DI ing etc.
The obvious cost of using two wacking great bass amps.
Volume issues on stage, matching them right etc, once you spend ages getting the volume right on stage, who is to say out front it's ok ?
Also where you putting cabs, dirty on top or the low end on the top etc etc etc.
All that sort of matters if you are going to gigs and your bass amp is the only thing providing the sound for the bass, and even then it's not that imperitive especially if you are using one just to retain low end frequencies. You also need to factor significant volume drops when one or the other is off.

If you just want to retain a good low end I'd always recommend just using an LS-2 and utilising both of its channels. Even if you use one channel for the dirty channel the other one doesn't have to be connected and it acts as a clean blend of the input signal, and when sitching the Ls-2 it will turn off your dirty channel and leave your input signal fine.

It's very different for people in big bands that use dual rigs (Tim C of Rage, Billy Sheehan of Winery Dogs) as they'll say they use two but at the end of the day unless you are live and are sitting right close to their rig it's still coming from one source. two rigs doesn't achieve much more than what one rig can that has a split signal going into it.

(Am I waffling, I can never explain anything properly)

The buffer is not that bad and I would seriously try that to experiment with first and if the buffer and the lack of having either or and both at the tip of your toes is a burden then consider a custom unit.

For what it's worth, I never really liked drive in my sound due to the lack of bass and increasing it seemed to drown the grind and make things wooly.
Now I have drive on all the time, mixed with a clean compressed sound, I was using the Ls-2 before, but got a custom unit as I as after a few more options ready at my feet mid songs etc.
I can hear the drive(which I have the bass EQ turned down) and I can hear the nice clean full bass sound too. Fills lots of sonic space, to combat having no option of turning the channel off I would just turn the drive off and I wouldn't lose any Volume either, and then have a parallel compressed signal(which sounds the dogs bollocks)

I was really dogging for two rigs before I settled on parallel effects chains until I played with pantherirsoft's (sheponbass.co.uk) massive board and he was using a LS-2 and the synth and stuff was really bright and vibrant and never got lost once engaged a massive 1 octave down sub channel with it, that sold for me.

wow I hope you got some useful information out of that.

If you have a line selector pedal that allows you to run both channels at the same time, it will give you 2 parallel channels out to one amp, allowing you to retain low end (clean channel) and mix in effects (2nd channel). You don't need two amp setups.
On a single mode, the LS-2 doesn't do what the original post states, running either channel individually or both, you have to physically change it's mode to do that....not ideal.

Si

I think is you want to runboth signals together then you'll probably need some sort of buffer in there to stop the impedance loading, which means it won't be true bypass. A high quality buffer is often preferable to no buffer most of the time...

Thanks for the input everyone, I had a talk with Tom from Cog and he explained some options and gave me some very good advice. I'm going to go with the simpler single cab setup but will have a pedal made by Tom which will give me two loops which is exactly what I was looking for.

It has a buffer in it so I'm hoping that won't effect the tones of the pedals too much. Also, the pedal will sort out any phase issues so seems like the best way to go.

Thanks loads to everyone. I learned alot more from this thread than I thought I would starting out :P

Aye, good show.

I'm sure Tom at COG explained the ups and downs far better than me. I love my looper.

Don't get hung up on buffers.
Mines true bypass but only because I already have a few buffered pedals in my chain. One is a wireless and it's clearer than using any cable I've owned, the other is my compressor and I didn't even realise it was a buffered pedal until I read it online.

Good buffers are helpful in tone retention and you won't notice that they are there.

I haven't heard a buffer from COG but I'm sure it'll be a high quality one.