Why become a member? ×

Resonant peak filter

Badass

Resonant peak filter - Is there such a thing for bass in a pedal?

Looking for something that boosts at the cut off frequency. If I'm honest I'm not sure what I'm looking for actually exists. I've searched in vain so far. I know I can do this in software and it's great fun. So is there such a thing in a pedal?
Looked at the EBS one and Stan wahs so far, but I'm not sure they're what I want.

Any help or clues guy?

What sound are you after exactly - Your overview is basically every envelope filter about. 'Resonance' is just that - The amount of 'boost' at the specified cutoff frequency. There are different filter sounds - High Pass, Low Pass (most bass envelope filters) and Band Pass (way type) are the most common and what they actually do to the sound differs somewhat, but resonance is the amount of the peak... so basically all of them could do what you need.

This article I wrote may answer more questions - http://sheponbass.co.uk/blog/signal-chain-bassics-part-iv-filters.html

If you have other questions after reading it, let us know and I'll answer them here if I can.

Thanks guys...

That FM600 looks a real cheap way to dip my toe in the water, and that 'Shep on filters' link was really helpful. Thank you.

What I really want to do is see and hear how the resonant peak filters work. I mean the sort of filter based EQs in the John East, the ACG and Alembic ranges for instance.

The sort of thing I don't want is the auto wah type of filter. I hope I am making sense :blink:

Makes sense - SO you are really looking for an EQ/Preamp type system. Maybe a Parametric EQ is a good place to start? Typically 3 knobs - One selects the centre frequency, one selects how wide the band of frequencies that are effected is (Q) and one selects the boost at the centre Frequency.

Aside that, I'm not aware of anyone making a real filter EQ system in pedal format, though someone like John East may be able to wire up one of his onboard-filter pre's into a box for you?

You maybe be close on that parametric EQ thing.

I know how easy it is to mix a bass track with my EQ set up to have a peak at the cut off. Something like in this image, but I guess you know what i mean.

I want to try it live. With the aim to possibly getting one of these EQs one of my basses.

Edited by Badass

3Leaf Audio - Anyone know if they renamed the 'Groove Regulator' to 'Wonderlove'? I can't seem to find much on the 'Groove Regulator'

The former seems to have some of the features I'm looking for.

Edited by Badass

The ACG filter preamp sounds like exactly what you're talking about (or am I misunderstanding something)? Depending on where you live there'll be someone nearby who's got one and who would be more than happy for you to have a noodle to test out how the pre affects the sound?

[quote name='Badass' timestamp='1382706102' post='2255680']
3Leaf Audio - Anyone know if they renamed the 'Groove Regulator' to 'Wonderlove'? I can't seem to find much on the 'Groove Regulator'

The former seems to have some of the features I'm looking for.
[/quote]

Groove Reg became the Groove Reg 2, which became the Wonderlove... Just an evolution of the pedal. It's an envelope filter though - Which you said you were not after. If you use the terms 'resonant filter' you are going to find envelope filters in your searches. If you are looking for an EQ application of a filter then you want to be looking at 'filter-based-EQ' or parametric EQ.

Are you trying to recreate a certain sound as that would help us suggest what you need. Your diagram would suggest a Low Pass Filter is what you want - to boost a certain frequency and completely remove everything above it, such as the Moog LPF or Iron Ether Xerograph.

Thanks guys. I guess I am mixing the two up. Let me try a search for filter-based-EQ.

Meanwhile back at the bat cave: I've played some more in my software and I really want a two control type EQ filter I guess. One knobs to control the amplitube and one knob to control the frequency, but the cut of must be right ahead of the frequency at all times, so a roll right ahead of the frequency set. Works great in software :sigh:

Edited by Badass

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1382712818' post='2255823']
Do you mean that the frequencies roll off directly after the frequency you select to boost?

If so, this is a regular Low Pass filter. Your cutoff frequency can be selected and boosted, and everything after it is removed. Typically this will have only s cutoff and a resonance control.
[/quote]

Sort of I guess...A low pass filter with a 3db or 6db boost at the cut off

I am using REAPER and I use either of thse two methods:

1. http://www.timelessofficial.com/timeless/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=122&Itemid=148

2. Or this software does the exact same: http://www.gvst.co.uk/glow_screenshot.htm

Edited by Badass

The Moog or the Xero will do this. This is standard Loe Pass Filter application - used to create big dub bass sounds, or, when you move the cutoff about (with an expression pedal for example) you get nice synthy sweeps.

On the moog - Envelope 0 (you don't want to use the env section), Mix 10, Cut off to desired freq, Resonance to required boost level. Done.
One the Xero - As above, but it has no envelope section (unless you buy the deluxe version).

Some envelope filters may let you do this buy turning the sensitivity right down to avoid triggering the envelope, but at the end of the day a static low pass filter is what you are asking for.

[quote name='Badass' timestamp='1382716550' post='2255889']
Great stuff. I off to check those pedals out.

Massive thanks for all the help you guys have given me.
[/quote] where you based? surely we can find someone with an ACG pre not far from you. (though you have ACG in your sig?)

for the price, you can't go far wrong trying out the Zoom B3.

several filter options available to tweak away with, including a Moog 101 copy, an autowah, and a specifically titled 'resonance filter' called the 'A-Filter', which is quite versatile.

loads of EQ options too.

i'm converted. (but still keeping some essential single pedals).

Edited by phil.i.stein

After much research and check the options suggested I think I am going to be getting a [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHMmfm913c4"]Deluxe Bass Big Muff[/url] as the hi and low pass filtering in this seem to be what I'm looking for.

Hopefully this will cover two sounds I want in one pedal.

Thanks again for all the help and PMs guys. I love this place !

Edited by Badass