Why become a member? ×

Thick neck, Thin neck?

raindog

Hi Bassists :-)
I'm new to the forum, and am searching for my first Bass guitar. I've whittled it down to either an Ibanez SR300, or a Peavey Millenium, but both of these have rather thin necks it seems, and I have a pair of the biggest hands around.
Wondering if this could present a problem with these thinner necks? If I have to get a thicker necked Bass does anyone have any recommendations for a model in the same price bracket as the Ibanez and the Peavey (£200 - £300) ?
Loving this forum, and hope to be playing soon :-)

Jeff.

To add to your journey, don't overlook the Vintage brand - they are a brand in their own right, not to be confused with the Vintage Modified line from Squier. They do fabulous 'copies' of the classic Precision, Jazz and Musicman models. They are extremely well made with high quality hardware (tuners, bridge, knobs) and great pickups, as well as being very cost effective. They are distributed by JHS Ltd (www.jhs.co.uk).

Cheers

Geoff

Edited by RandomBass

Thanks for the offer, Johnnyboy :-) Alas, I'm many miles away and car-less at the moment.
Interesting that you have both the Ibanez and Squier....Do they both feel good to play, then? Have you got medium sized hands? Maybe I shouldn't be so concerned at hand size...

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1382433519' post='2251971']
Hand size has little to do with it - whatever feels most comfy is what you should go with. try some out in a shop!
[/quote]

This.

I haven't got very big hands but I far prefer big, chunky necks to skinny, narrow ones.

Also, the Yamaha BB424 has a chunky neck profile, compared to the Ibby SR etc. It's also a highly versatile instrument which will serve you well.
They pop up on here from time to time, and you will get more bang for your buck buying secondhand on BC if you are so inclined.

I'm in Bournemouth, Geoff, thanks for the offer, though! The good thing is that Bournemouth seems to have more than it's fair share of Music shops.
Interesting, Rhys! It just goes to show that whatever feels comfortable is the important thing, and logic plays no part in it. My gut feeling is that a thinner neck will suit me, but my brain says that my frying pan hands would suit a big neck. I shall have to suck it and see!

Hi Xilddx! I just had a look at those Wishbasses......Wow! I was expecting a massive price tag (almost as massive as the neck) but they're pretty reasonable. If I ever get expert enough for Fretless playing they'd be first on the list. Love the sculptural look of some of those Basses....

[quote name='raindog' timestamp='1382441876' post='2252112']
....That's pretty radical, Chris. I wonder if his necks eventually look like corkscrews?....
[/quote]

I think the extra wood covers it, but you've got to be good at wood work, finishing, electrics and general instrument making if you buy a Wishbass!