Why become a member? ×

PRICE DROP Fender CS 1960 Jazz (1997 Cunetto Relic, John Cruz built)
£2200

paulie

Ok,

PRICE REDUCED TO £1900

Up for sale is an absolutely sublime Custom Shop 60's Jazz Bass. The bass looks, feels and sounds exactly like an original pre CBS Jazz bass. Gorgeorus broken in feel, low action, perfectly aged and amazing, broken in pickups. The photos dont do it justice as you cant capture the colour properly or the subtle wear, grazing, nicks etc. But when I bought this it was hanging beside an all original 64 Jazz bass and despite having the budget for either, I took this as it was the better of the two by far.

I have owned tons of Jazz basses from a pre CBS 64 to a 71, 77, 78, 4 Custom Shops, Geddy Lee model and a few standards. This is by far the best Jazz bass I have ever had. It is in fact one of the best ones I have ever tried.

According to its stamps It was made in 1997 by Master Builder John Cruz (Duff McKagan, Ritchie Sambora, Bono, Ike Turner etc.)

Not only was this built by John Cruz but its a Cunetto Relic. That is to say it came from the vince Cunetto era of the Fender Custom Shop when the instruments being produced were comparable to the pre CBS era at Fender. Cunetto had his own company that made relic'd bodies and parts for Fenders. His work was so good that he was hired by Fender to do all the relicing on all Custom Shop instruements. Nobody could touch the quality of his work. He began working with Fender in 94 when they launched the Relic instruments. He would work on about 20 instruments per week. However, in 1999 Fender grew the Custom Shop and decided to bring the Relic process back in house. Cunetto was cut from Fender and the quality of Relicing from the Custom Shop was never the same since.
Only 5000 instruments were ever processed by Vince Cunetto for Fender, most of those were guitars so there are very few Cunetto basses out there.

Cunetto relics have become extremely collectable as a result. When you pick one up you will quickly realise why.

This is an Olympic White bass with tort guard. Its relic'd with what appears to be a Brazillian rosewood board (no longer available for export)

I have this bass set up with very low action, and little or no relief in the neck. As a result its redicuously fast and easy to play.

The bass has perfect balance,
Weight is about 9lbs
Ships with a Fender tweed case (unused)

[attachment=146397:Fender 001.JPG]

[attachment=146398:Fender 006.JPG]

[attachment=146399:Fender 003.JPG]

[attachment=146400:Fender 004.JPG]

Edited by paulie

There is no certificate with this bass. Im not sure if they came with them back in 1997, perhaps they did?
The serial number and pickups date it to 1997 (Cunetto era)
John Cruz is stamped in the neck pocked and relic is stamped on the body underneath the pickguard.
The Custom shop logo is also stamped into the back of the headstock. Unlike the current obvious decals, this is subtle and hard to see when not up close so most people assume this bass is the real deal when they pick it up.

I can forward on pics of the neck pocket and serial number for intersted buyers who PM me

Thanks

[quote name='paulie' timestamp='1381760212' post='2243238']

There is no certificate with this bass. Im not sure if they came with them back in 1997, perhaps they did?

[/quote]

Yes, they did

[quote name='paulie' timestamp='1381760212' post='2243238']

The serial number and pickups date it to 1997 (Cunetto era)
John Cruz is stamped in the neck pocked and relic is stamped on the body underneath the pickguard.
The Custom shop logo is also stamped into the back of the headstock. Unlike the current obvious decals, this is subtle and hard to see when not up close so most people assume this bass is the real deal when they pick it up.

[/quote]

Well according to your description, what you have there is a CS "relic 60's jazz bass" from the cunetto era but absolutely not a CS [u]masterbuilt[/u]...
If I' m wrong I will present my apologise for such an ignorance. Sincerely.

[quote name='epoxyjazzbass' timestamp='1381770384' post='2243486']
Yes, they did

Well according to your description, what you have there is a CS "relic 60's jazz bass" from the cunetto era but absolutely not a CS [u]masterbuilt[/u]...
If I' m wrong I will present my apologise for such an ignorance. Sincerely.
[/quote]
All correct, IMHO also, not masterbuilt.

Thanks for the feedback guys

Ok there seems to have been confusion here on my end so allow me to clarify with what I have learned in an afternoons research.

This bass is 1997 and it is from the sought after Vince Cunetto era. It is a relic.

John Cruz made the bass and he is a Masterbuilder. But the confusion lies in the fact that he did not become a Masterbuilder until 2003.

So I have edited the post to say it is made by John Cruz now Masterbuilder.

I have also concluded that this bass would have originally shipped with a cert but I dont have this. However the serial number on the neck plate and the date on the neck put it to 1997 so the cert wouldnt be telling you anything that the bass cannot.

Edited by paulie

That bass is not a masterbuilt because it must be made by one person to be a masterbuilt. The john cruz signature in the neck Pocket means he have made some parts on this bass (exemple : the body) nothing more. Ok ? And the different stamps, logos you describe means it' s a team built.
Signatures and stamp are present in a lot of fender, even non custom shop instrument.

These relic 60's are generally really good as most team built CS.

Err OK???

Firstly : Ive owned 4 other custom shop jazz basses. All post 2000.
Not one of them say John Cruz in the neck pocket

Secondly : By stating that stamps are present in non custom shop instruments are you implying that this may not be a Custom shop bass at all?

Its a Custom Shop bass, its stamped Custom Shop

It is a 1997 relic which according to anything I can find online means that it would have been relic'd by Vince Cunetto (or his empolyees)

It says John Cruz in the neck pocket.

I am not stating anything different. I have clarified on the post that it was built before John Cruz actually became a Masterbuilder. But from what I have read Cruz was making the Jazz basses in the Custom shop in 1997 and Cunetto was doing all of the relicing. Not other names appear on the bass.

I am not on here stating that my 2013 Squire is a PRE CBS bass

If your interested in this bass pm for more info but please stop slamming my add for being in-accurate!!!

Im a professional player who has owned and traded many top quality instruments such Coppolo, Sadowsky, US Lakland, Pre CBS Fender, Custom Shop Fender, Zon : to name but a few so I know a little about them at this stage. I also have excellent feed back

[quote name='paulie' timestamp='1381786097' post='2243879']

Secondly : By stating that stamps are present in non custom shop instruments are you implying that this may not be a Custom shop bass at all?

[/quote]

Of couse not, I' m implying that this is not a proof of being a masterbuilt (made by one builder).

I understand your answer and will not continu to post on your add. But I was interested by a masterbuilt, this is why I previously asked you for détails. And it' s a forum. Accuracy is trully important as price tag.

Hi
Its not transulcent its Olympic White which has been discouloured in areas due to the ageing/relicing process.

Im not sure of the body wood but being Olympic white and not natural or translucent I would assume its Alder.

Any more questions just let me know

Thanks