Why become a member? ×

NAD - Genz Benz Streamliner 900

JapanAxe

I bought this used from eBay for a jolly good price. Fired it up through my Compact after it arrived (Saturday) and was initially underwhelmed. Over the last year I have become used to my TC Classic 450, and its growly TubeTone™ sound is now my benchmark. I needed to crank the gain on the 900 to about 2 o'clock (with the gain switch in) to get the same growl.

Later on I whipped the top cover off and checked the valves on my Orange Valve Tester. V1 was a JJ ECC83S and tested fine, but the V2 and V3 (both Ruby Tubes) failed! I replaced them with a couple of unbranded valves from my stock of spares, and plugged the amp into my Midget. With my Sandberrg Cali VM4 (strung with flats) in hand, I set about tweaking the tone. I also referred to [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/genz-streamliner-600-900-tone-control-primer-813663/"]this[/url] really useful Talkbass thread on the Streamliner preamp. With bass at 11 o'clock, mid at 2 o'clock (600Hz) and treble flat, I got a lovely full round tone.

The single word that best describes it is 'authoritative' - the notes sound like they mean it! Even with some grit dialled in, the Streamliner is much more transparent than the Classic. I don't mean 'hi-fi squeaky clean'; rather, where the Classic imposes its character, the Streamliner lets you hear even subtle changes in tone and pickup blend.

I will be giging this amp next Saturday, so I'll come back soon after with a fuller report.

From another thread:
[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1380226677' post='2222645']
The Streamliner is a superb match for the Midget though as well.
[/quote]
Exactly!

Edited by JapanAxe

I run a Streamliner into a Compact and I agree, it's not a very growly amp - more clean, but as you say punchy, deep and authoratative. I do run it with the gain switch on all the time, seems to lack something with it off, with the compact I tend to go bass at about 10-11 o'clock, mids about 2 o'clock at 2.5K (maybe 400Hz if open air, or if the room demands it) and treble about noon, maybe boosted a touch.

I would love to give it a go through a cab with 12" drives and possibly a tweeter - mayber a Super 12T or one of the new Super Compacts

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1381151426' post='2234970']
I'm more tempted than a tempted thing to try and get hold of a streamliner while they're as cheap as they currently are!
[/quote]
Believe it or not, I have not yet decided whether to keep this*, and will probably come to a decision after Saturday! If it's a 'no', watch the Marketplace...

[size=2]*My plan is to buy and try a few different used heads and just keep the one(s) I like the best.[/size]

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1381152421' post='2234994']
Believe it or not, I have not yet decided whether to keep this*, and will probably come to a decision after Saturday! If it's a 'no', watch the Marketplace...

[size=2]*My plan is to buy and try a few different used heads and just keep the one(s) I like the best.[/size]
[/quote]

try before/during you buy is the way forward matey! Buying to use at a gig-test is emminently sensible methinks :D

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1381152421' post='2234994'

[/quote]

That's exactly what I did , great fun it was too.

I bought a GB streamliner 600, an orange terror bass and a shuttlemax 9.2.

I ended up keeping the shuttlemax, it sounds great with my setup.
I then just sold what I didn't want on here, although I couldn't bring myself to part with the orange either, haha.

Cheers

Thebassman

Edited by thebassman

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1381336848' post='2237840']
What about using it in a good mood at home!?

[/quote]

:lol:

I tried it at home with the volume set as low as I could get it just to make sure it was working OK, sounded warm and bassy but I'll only have a real comparison against the other amps I've tried once I've used it with the band.

Ummmm... it looks great, I like the fact you can see the valves :)

Just tried my 5-er through it. This thing has much more range in both directions than the TC Classic. I got a nice tone with gain switch in, gain and volume at about noon, bass backed off slightly, mids boosted at 600Hz, treble flat. I say 'tone', I should say 'range of tones' - as I said in my first post, you get a very clear reflection of any changes in control settings on the bass itself. These settings gave a good string balance, which is always nice.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1381353226' post='2238120']
Just tried my 5-er through it. This thing has much more range in both directions than the TC Classic. I got a nice tone with gain switch in, gain and volume at about noon, bass backed off slightly, mids boosted at 600Hz, treble flat. I say 'tone', I should say 'range of tones' - as I said in my first post, you get a very clear reflection of any changes in control settings on the bass itself. These settings gave a good string balance, which is always nice.
[/quote]

Sounds to me as though sir is coming to appreciate his new amp yes?

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1381356079' post='2238153']
Sounds to me as though sir is coming to appreciate his new amp yes?
[/quote]
Yes indeed, but the proof of the pudding will be on Saturday - afternoon jam on fretless, evening gig on fretted 4!

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1381336848' post='2237840']
What about using it in a good mood at home!?
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:
That remark needs to be pinned somewhere. This novel concept has great promise! I'm telling ya!

BTW, just ordered a 900 myself, and will try and report when I'm in a good mood.
May take a while though. B)

Edited by BassTractor