Why become a member? ×

Storing Basses

elom

Well it looks as if our spare room is about to have a 'makeover' and I need to move out a couple of my basses that don't get played much. There isn;t really anywhere in the house for them to go other than the loft. Will they be okay up there? I'm guessing that the temperature fluctuations will be okay - it's not like they're going in the shed! I'm just looking for a bit of reassurance or tips. They'll be in hard cases.

Thanks

elom

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1380933140' post='2232670']If your loft insulation is in between the rafters the temperature in the roof space will fluctuate with the weather, just like the shed.

I'd put the basses under the bed.[/quote]
Think you mean the joists: the horizontal structural timbers. Rafters are the pitched structural timbers, which meet at the ridge board. If the insulation were packed into the voids between rafters the attic space would be a reasonably well-controlled zone re temperature. But I'd agree that attics aren't the best places to store guitars/basses. Tarnishing of metalwork and fogging of finish is often the result.

Apart from under a bedstead (you can get nine rectangular cases under a double bedstead), stood upright at the back or end of a wardrobe, laid on top of a wardrobe, in a meter cupboard, in an under-stair cupboard.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1380937035' post='2232686']

Apart from under a bedstead (you can get nine rectangular cases under a double bedstead)
[/quote]

What>?

I've got 6 under there, If I added another 2, they would stick out of the end of the bed and I would stub my toes every night LOL

Ok, my B.C.Rich Mockingbird was stored in an attic in Northampton for 24 YEARS, there is NO rust or wood damage on it whatsoever, it is perfect, however, I would NEVER store a guitar or bass in my attic, sometimes it's freezing up there, other times it's like a sauna

[quote name='Lorne' timestamp='1381012891' post='2233498']What>?

I've got 6 under there, If I added another 2, they would stick out of the end of the bed and I would stub my toes every night LOL[/quote]
Well, all the cases are typical 70s/80s rectangular designs - around 48" in length. Got them arranged in a U-shape, stacked three high. Guess how many you can fit under the bed all depends on the height of the frame and the shape of the cases. Another half inch higher and I could've fitted another three under there! Which gets me wondering why bedsteads are so far off the floor?

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1381016832' post='2233526']
Well, all the cases are typical 70s/80s rectangular designs - around 48" in length. Got them arranged in a U-shape, stacked three high. Guess how many you can fit under the bed all depends on the height of the frame and the shape of the cases. Another half inch higher and I could've fitted another three under there! Which gets me wondering why bedsteads are so far off the floor?
[/quote]

LOL, mine is a pine bed, so it must be lower

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1380937035' post='2232686']
Apart from under a bedstead (you can get nine rectangular cases under a double bedstead), stood upright at the back or end of a wardrobe, laid on top of a wardrobe, in a meter cupboard, in an under-stair cupboard.
[/quote]

All those are full already :(