Why become a member? ×

Replacement pickups for my passive Jazz

dazza14

[color=#222222]I play a Squier VM Jazz, I recently wanted to swap the pickups for something a little more "oomphy" than the stock 'Duncan Designed' pickups - the reason being I was being swamped in the mix with two guitars and a drummer on Lucozade! We play punk and reggae, the punk my jazz deals with no problem, whack up the tone and I cut through the mix really nicely, but reggae, when I need more low end it tended to struggle. [/color]

[color=#222222]SO... I bought a set of Wilkinson pickups from the bay (I also play a fretless Vintage 'Jaco' bass and the pickups are amazingly responsive, its like the bass is almost twice as loud, so I wanted to get that sound from the Jazz, hence buying the same pups) [/color]

[color=#222222]BUT although it has made a difference its still miles behind the Vintage.[/color]

[color=#222222]My next port of call is to fiddle with the pickup heights and see what difference this makes but if I do end up going down the route of replacement pickups where should I look?[/color]

[color=#222222]I hear amazing things about Wizard (although I also hear they’ve closed down?) and I’ve seen some saucy EMG pickups on e-bay, for £100ish this seems a do-able mod but I thought I’d check with the library of knowledge on here first.[/color]

[color=#222222]So, any suggestions?[/color]

[color=#222222]Basically I’m after louder pickups that still will keep the character of my sound (and don’t say “turn up ya amp!”)[/color]

Just had a look for the Vintage pickups and it seems they're the ones I bought. Like I said i'm going to look at pickup heights and see what difference that makes (I hear it can be massive!) before I start parting with money for replacements, but it's interesting.... I can't think the wood or other factors could make that much of a difference.

Ok, pickup height is go, go, go... i'll have a tinkle over the weekend and see if anything changes.Just read up on Fralins, they get lots of great things said about them but I do like my Wilko's... plus they're cheaper, which is a major factor at the mo.Thanks for your help.

Setup a "saved search" and set it to notify you.

Refine it to your tastes, and prepare to wade through a lot of items. Be aware that bargains are often listed in wrong categories so set that criteria wide

Sooner or later some pups will come up that you can collect locally, or that finish at a silly time of day that you can win for not much. Be patient is my advice

The pup I got is used in some custom shop models so it was quite the bargain

Alternatively PM bass chat member matte_black who makes his own, I bought the split coil jazz pups which were awesome

Edited by Geek99

I tried a few different ones, but my favourites were Dimarzio Ultra Jazz. Really gutsy and powerful and well defined across the tonal spectrum. They're basically side by side split coils too so absolutely silent, no hum whatsoever.

[quote name='dazza14' timestamp='1380792169' post='2230513']
[color=#222222]I play a Squier VM Jazz, I recently wanted to swap the pickups for something a little more "oomphy" than the stock 'Duncan Designed' pickups - the reason being I was being swamped in the mix with two guitars and a drummer on Lucozade! We play punk and reggae, the punk my jazz deals with no problem, whack up the tone and I cut through the mix really nicely, but reggae, when I need more low end it tended to struggle. [/color]

[color=#222222]SO... I bought a set of Wilkinson pickups from the bay (I also play a fretless Vintage 'Jaco' bass and the pickups are amazingly responsive, its like the bass is almost twice as loud, so I wanted to get that sound from the Jazz, hence buying the same pups) [/color]

[color=#222222]BUT although it has made a difference its still miles behind the Vintage.[/color]

[color=#222222]My next port of call is to fiddle with the pickup heights and see what difference this makes but if I do end up going down the route of replacement pickups where should I look?[/color]

[color=#222222]I hear amazing things about Wizard (although I also hear they’ve closed down?) and I’ve seen some saucy EMG pickups on e-bay, for £100ish this seems a do-able mod but I thought I’d check with the library of knowledge on here first.[/color]

[color=#222222]So, any suggestions?[/color]

[color=#222222]Basically I’m after louder pickups that still will keep the character of my sound (and don’t say “turn up ya amp!”)[/color]
[/quote]

The 'Duncan Designed' are probably a little under par next to the usual Duncan 'vintage' or his modern designed passive and active pups, many of which I've used and fitted into basses for years so maybe a set of those could work out.

Also, take a look at Delano JMVC FEs at [url="http://www.delano.de/"]http://www.delano.de/[/url] the ones with the large single pole per string magnets.
I've just fitted a jazz set to a fretted bass and (without gigging them yet) they sound the business so I think they are going to sound real good on stage.
I do find the same pups a have different 'edge' on a fretless to fretted bass, the metal frets will alter that sound a bit, takes away a little mid range attack on a fretted in a side by side test with same amp settings, so there is this to consider.

Edited by mybass

Wow, lots of good advice and help (this site if brilliant for help!) I've got lots to think about now, which is what I wanted. Hopefully raise the pickups over the next few days and do some tests, if not happy i'll start the search.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1380796042' post='2230601']
GFS - The mutt's nuts.
[/quote]

Yep. Dirt cheap, even with the shipping from the States. [url="http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-JB-Pro-Jazz-Bass-Style-Alnico-Pickups_p_318.html"]http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-JB-Pro-Jazz-Bass-Style-Alnico-Pickups_p_318.html[/url]

Didn't get a chance to lower the pickups over the weekend, it's band practice tonight so while the drummer is spending ages putting his kit together i'll do a little sound check with a screwdriver in hand and see if I can't improve it... if not the long, drawn out process of pickup purchasing will come into play...

UPDATE! Fiddled with the heights at practice last night and it's quite shocking the difference it made, have raised the bridge pup to about 3-4mm from the strings and I get a lovely growl (especially with the tone turned up!) but the neck pup is a different kettle of fish, it's still got the oomph I want but I just turn up the volume to match the bridge. I think the neck pup was set fine and now the bridge one has come 'up to speed' so it's much better....