Why become a member? ×

Collapsing double bass?

blinddrew

Chadwick folding bass. I have one and it is the bees knees. I have only had mine for a couple of days but I love it already. I'll have more to say about it in a few weeks when I have a few gigs under my belt, but so far I am beyond excited.

Enjoyed that - they produce a great sound together ( but doesnt the guitarist bear an uncanny resemblance to Frank Gallagher from Shameless )!

Rabbie, I have "Chadwick Envy' here so a few questions ...

Whats the deal with the Chadwick and string life? - just wondering if the tension going from loose to taught over a few set ups and crunch downs weakens them at the peg box end?

Do the strings take time to settle into tune each time you set up?

Can you get in through the neck slot at the back to refit the sound post if it drops out?

Do you get a consistent sound each time you place the bridge ?

Just wondering if the advantages of a collapsible bass mean that you have to be patient with other things ( as above) ?

Always been 'Chadwick curious' since seeing Christian McBride endorsing them as 'the way forward' when on the road - I guess that on its own makes you sit up and pay attention!

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1380700546' post='2228991']...... here so a few questions ...[/quote]
[quote name='blinddrew' timestamp='1380708258' post='2229179']
And whilst we're on questions, how long does it actually take to go from box to playing? I'm guessing more than the 5 seconds shown ;¬)
[/quote]

Most questions seem to be answered here, along with several other videos of playing in different configurations...

[url="http://foldingbass.com/"]http://foldingbass.com/[/url]

...Worth a look..?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1380717173' post='2229402']
Most questions seem to be answered here, along with several other videos of playing in different configurations...

[url="http://foldingbass.com/"]http://foldingbass.com/[/url]

...Worth a look..?
[/quote]

Thanks - always good though to also hear from an end user !

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1380700546' post='2228991']
Enjoyed that - they produce a great sound together ( but doesnt the guitarist bear an uncanny resemblance to Frank Gallagher from Shameless )!

Rabbie, I have "Chadwick Envy' here so a few questions ...

Whats the deal with the Chadwick and string life? - just wondering if the tension going from loose to taught over a few set ups and crunch downs weakens them at the peg box end?

Do the strings take time to settle into tune each time you set up?

Can you get in through the neck slot at the back to refit the sound post if it drops out?

Do you get a consistent sound each time you place the bridge ?

Just wondering if the advantages of a collapsible bass mean that you have to be patient with other things ( as above) ?

Always been 'Chadwick curious' since seeing Christian McBride endorsing them as 'the way forward' when on the road - I guess that on its own makes you sit up and pay attention!
[/quote]
Ok, here we go:
String life should be the same as normal if you use nylon wackers or Spiros. Hybrid-made strings like Evah Pirazzi are supposed to last less and go dead faster.
Personally, as a gut strings player I will have to deal with lots of tuning up, even during gigs, especially on festival stages where there is no time to let the strings settle in. I believe that Spiros are ready to play and stay in tune within minutes of setting up and tuning.
The sound post is pinned, so it won't fall.
The bridge position is indelibly marked on the body so you do get a consistent placement and therefore sound.
Yes indeed the travel advantages of the Chadwick mean other compromises (time to set up, string issues above and of course playing a plywood which is a bit heavier and less resonant). Personally these are non-issues to me, because I will only use it in live situation where there is no way the subtle nuances between my main bass and this will be picked up. In saying that, the bass sounds very good acoustically and is just as loud as any other plywood bass.
Finally, setting up takes me about 2 minutes, but it's about 10 minutes once I factor in all the tuning up that gut strings need. Still ok in my book.
Hope this is helpful.

Edited by Rabbie

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1380732603' post='2229724']
Interesting review Rabbie, I'd seen the bass before but think I am happy lugging mine around as is - an opinion that occasionally changes at the end of the night! ;)
[/quote]

Nothing wrong at all with that, I have done for years but for the occasions when you are travelling with a band or flying, or simply to protect you main bass, the Chadwick is priceless IMO.

[quote name='Rabbie' timestamp='1380736335' post='2229809']
Nothing wrong at all with that, I have done for years but for the occasions when you are travelling with a band or flying, or simply to protect you main bass, the Chadwick is priceless IMO.
[/quote]

Plus, you just leave it assembled until you need to "fold" it so it really is just another double bass. I just has that great advantage during travelling.

Thats an impressive bit of kit. I love Chris Wood's DB sound (check out the wonderful 'Ways not to lose' album) which I have partly replicated with my string string setup (Oliv A/D/G; he uses an Obligato E, I have a Spiro). But blimey, he likes a high action! Could drive a bus under his G string (oo err)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='cattytown' timestamp='1382274874' post='2249899']
I think US bass player Jimmy Sutton has one for sale.

Paul.
[/quote]

I absolutely love what Jimmy does, both as player and producer. Didn't know he had a Chadwick. By the way, I've been gigging mine for a few weeks now and it's great. I was expecting to have more tuning issues with Lamberts, but it's not too bad if you don't mind checking your tuning in-between most songs.

My tuppence on the Chadwick bass. I've had mine now for nearly 3 years, probably done close to 100 flights without incident. As far as string life goes it's been fine with spirocores and settles in tune pretty quickly. I had my luthier do some setup work that helped the playability, mainly the bridge which was very thick and dampened the sound too much. Also it's worth mentioning that Charlie Chadwick is more than helpful with updating any improvements, a real gent to deal with.
Having used a heap of EUB's over the years this bass has been a revelation, ok it's not as responsive as my old flatback but it feels similar enough.
The flight case seemed a bit flimsy at first but it's held together pretty well, I tacked on a few strips of carpet to the edges to prolong its life, also I've got away with telling the airlines that it's a cello...doesn't seem to freak them out so much.

I usually try to get a musician friendly airline, though they move the goalposts around and avoid the ones that charge by weight, got hit up for €350 on a flight from Tokyo on Air France a while back. Maybe a topic for a thread here if it hasn't been covered yet! Almost always end up paying for an extra bag or for sports equipment (Aer lingus). The weight of the Chadwick is 23kg including the case which is the limit on USA flights.