Why become a member? ×

Where are your Soundcloud listeners?

Earbrass

I've had just one track up on Soundcloud for about 2 years now, and it's had 475 plays so far. What I've found interesting is the geographical distribution of those plays. As I would expect, there are more plays in the UK than anywhere else - I have a link to the track in my sig on here and on another UK website. What surprised me was that Japan is the second most popular listening venue, way ahead of the third (USA), and that SE Asia in general had more hits than I was expecting.

My top 10 countries for plays are as follows:

UK 181
Japan 122
US 29
Germany 22
Indonesia 20
Taiwan 12
S Korea 6
Chile 5
Netherlands 5
Australia 5

No plays at all in Russia, Africa, the Middle East, Central Asia or the Indian subcontinent.

I was wondering whether this is simply a reflection of where Soundcloud is most popular, or of the appeal of my track in particular. What are other Soundcloud users' experiences?

I've been on it a few months(should do more). Icons a lot of bands who have a product out there 'like' my recordings so I 'like ' them and more recognition for them,

I've had a few plays here and there , but not much in the scheme of things. I'm still learning , so 99% is pretty pony anyway

Wow, I have more listens that I thought: (4319!)

Country breakdown only shows the top 50 I think.

1.United Kingdom 2141
2.United States 258
3.Spain 76
4.Germany 68
5.France 56
6.Netherlands 43
7.Australia 42
8.Canada 30
9.Peru 24
10.Norway 21
11.Italy 19
12.Turkey 16
13.Denmark 15
14.Brazil 13
15.Belgium 13
16.Argentina 12
17.Finland 11
18.Ireland 11
19.Portugal 10
20.Poland 8
21.Mexico 8
22.Sweden 8
23.Russian Federation 7
24.Korea, Republic of 7
25.Croatia 7
26.Hungary 7
27.Japan 6
28.China 5
29.Austria 5
30.Iran, Islamic Republic of 5
31.Hong Kong 4
32.Thailand 4
33.Singapore 4
34.Israel 4
35.Philippines 4
36.Liechtenstein 4
37.Chile 4
38.Czech Republic 3
39.Switzerland 3
40.Ukraine 3
41.Latvia 3
42.Taiwan (ROC) 3
43.Slovakia 3
44.Romania 3
45.Bulgaria 2
46.South Africa 2
47.Kuwait 2
48.Estonia 2
49.Greece 2
50.Bahrain 2

Edited by Mornats

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1380663299' post='2228784']Yeah, only on pro. Which is totally worth the £23 or so a year in my opinion.[/quote]

Interesting thread! And I agree… the "pro" SoundCloud account is well worth the money. Not so much for the stats in my case, but for the extra upload capacity.

My current top ten are:

1. UK
2. Brazil
3. USA
4. Belgium
5. Germany
6. Canada
7. France
8. Netherlands
9. Poland
10. Australia

Total number of plays is 7433.

I seem to be getting least interest from Indonesia and South Korea. What have I done to offend these people!!?? :lol:

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1380663140' post='2228782']
These stats only seem to be available if you get the pro version of Soundcloud?
[/quote]

Not so - I only have the free Soundcloud account - you still get basic stats including number of plays in each country. To see them, click on your track to get the "one track per screen" view. To the right there are three numbers - plays (next to a triangular "play" icon), likes (next to a heart) and messages (speech bubble). Next to that it says "more stats". Click on this and it takes you to a tabbed stats screen. Top tab is overview, with the world map. Next tab is "Counts" - this is where it lists plays by country. By default it shows just the top ten, but there is a "Show All" option at the bottom of the list. To the right (for all tabs) is a date field which shows the period the stats are for - it seems to default to the current week, but you can change this. The third tab (Sources) shows no data unless you have paid for the upgrade - I presume it gives details of the users who played your track.

Edited by Earbrass

Ah I didn't notice that Earbrass. And yeah, on the pro account you get to see the number of times each soundcloud user had listened to your track (and which user it was).

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1380665114' post='2228822']
Interesting thread! And I agree… the "pro" SoundCloud account is well worth the money. Not so much for the stats in my case, but for the extra upload capacity.
[/quote]

I upgraded the same week I started my account when I found out that a pro plan (well, it was a different plan back then but it's the pro one now) allowed you to replace a track with a new version and keep the comments and plays. Totally worth it. The extra upload time is great too as I'm 17 minutes from my 4 hour limit now :( time to delete some old crap I guess!