Why become a member? ×

200 up!

SimonEdward

:hi: [color=#0000FF][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=6]200 up![/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Nope. Not the number of effects pedals I've accumulated recently :rolleyes: but my 200th post on BC - second milestone - so time for a mini stock take of what has happened since March 2013! ... I gained middle-age status in July.. which taught me that as you get older, the 'hamster wheel' of life speeds up! :o[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I've acquired more pre-loved 2nd hand gear.. TC 'Alter Ego' Delay; a 'Shaker' vibrato; and *SOLD* the EQ-20 and won a Source Audio EQ in an on-line auction. A MarkOne Audio pedal has enabled me to add two loops.. one for Octave/Wah and the other for Modulation. I'm trying out the BOSS AW-3.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The chain is: TC Polytune > SAEQ > Loop 1. OC-2 > Octave deluxe > AW-3 > Loop 2. Shaker > Corona > Vortex > Alter Ego (Delay) > H.O.F > Nova Dynamics[/font][/color]

In May, I made a journey north on board a cross country train to meet Stuart, 'The Bassbunny' (in person), and I am now the very proud owner of a David Eden WT-550 amp (U.S. built). I'd tried one out at 'The Bass Gallery' in London, about 15-years ago and promised myself I would get one, if the right one ever came along. Unfortunately, I had less than an hour to talk to Stuart over a much needed coffee at Stockport railway station. He is a lovely guy, with so much knowledge and Band experience. It was great to chat away to another Bassist, just for a change!! but much too soon.. the train to take me back south was approaching.. why couldn't there have been a cancellation due to the wrong kind of snow?! ... oh well!

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]In April, my Alembic: Mark King Signature... re-appeared! [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]This is the Bass I call the 'Prodigal' Bass.. [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It was bought from The Bass Centre, Wapping (London) UK in late 2000 with the U.S. made hand-built case. It was stored away at my father-in-law's house for more than 10-years, and has only been 'home' for a couple of weeks.. It was an impulse buy; that will never happen again!!! ... Here she is pictured in my garden with my other basses.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I've also become a licensed user of [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Reaper (4.1), which has to be [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]one of the bargains of the century at around £40! which I use with my laptop. I use loops/samples from a number of sources as inspiration for my compositions, and spend quite a bit of time listening to other musicians on 'Soundcloud'. [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]All of the clunky ADAT/ Portastudio/ Rack outboard has been packed away.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]In July, I managed to submit an entry into the Basschat Composition Competition for the first time.. and managed four votes! I resisted the temptation to vote for myself! :D [/font][/color][url="https://soundcloud.com/simon-edward/downtown-bleecker"]https://soundcloud.c...wntown-bleecker[/url] [color=#333333][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]'Downtown Bleecker' is an instrumental piece recorded and arranged between 3-6 July 2013. It was inspired by a New York City Night-scape courtesy of Basschat.co.uk (composition competition for July 2013); and a visit to NYC with my Brother in March 2000. This track is dedicated to him, with much love.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#333333]...[/color]
[color=#333333]Credits:[/color]
[color=#333333]Simon D' souza: Alto Saxophone [/color][url="http://www.souzamusic.co.uk/"]www.souzamusic.co.uk/[/url]
[color=#333333]Reiner: Tenor Saxophone[/color]
[color=#333333]Simon Edward: Bass[/color][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]...[/font][/color]
Most brilliant day in 'the smoke' on September 20th catching up with Stu Drums; We were born and raised in the same town, but now live at almost opposite sides of the UK. The phone bill would have ended up costing £0,000's otherwise! Unfortunately, we couldn't manage to book a rehearsal room for a jam, but ended up at The IndigO2 to see a Level 42 gig!

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Thanks again to the stage that BC gives us.. and to all you guys who contribute and make BC what it is: - "Keep out of of treble". [/font][/color]

:D Edited by SimonEdward

This is a nice thread :) Being into bass playing is like being into anything really, if it makes you happy stick with it...

I also came back to the bass in March 2013 after several years in the wilderness... my post count is very similar to yours in that time. I've been through five basses, a custom build bass and preamp on the go, written several tunes, joined a band and even managed to find a bass on Ebay that got nicked from me Seven years ago!... hopefully winding its long legal way back to me as we speak.

I blame BC for all this... last time around I was happy with one bass, one amp and a tuner...

Rob

:) Thanks Rob! yes, BC does had a lot to answer for.. and I can also remember the days when I only had one bass, a combo and a tuner too! But, to be fair there's been about 20-years between when I first started out and joining Basschat, so I really only have myself to blame! :rolleyes: Almost everything I own now, with the exception of the OC-2 (which I've had since '92), the Alembic and my custom J.D. have been bought pre-loved or in part-exchange. Pleased that your Bass is now legally on it's way back to you.. have fun with your band.. and keep going! :D

Thanks Bob! :) ..I had a break away from music (for about nine years) - got married, kids, work, three house moves, gear in storage, so know what you mean about picking up a Bass again.. still tough to find the time, but getting there.. slowly. Cheers.. Simon.

.. 84 sounds good! Not sure my pension fund manager would feel quite the same way. I guess I will feel OLD when I stop playing, and I have no plans to STOP! :D
[quote name='sprocket123' timestamp='1380308525' post='2223711'] Welcome aboard . Nice rig & basses mate ! [/quote]

Thanks so much! :D They sound just as good as they look.. cheers.. Simon. Edited by SimonEdward

[quote name='sprocket123' timestamp='1380501793' post='2226357']
Jay Dees & Alembics ! Would love to have one of those !
[/quote]

I am one lucky guy to own these.. I met John Diggins (owner of Jaydee: [url="http://www.jaydeecustomguitars.co.uk/"]http://www.jaydeecustomguitars.co.uk/[/url]) through my Bass 'coach' in 1992. We were both #Levelheads and liked Mark King. He was working in a music shop in my home town, and they were selling them. I've owned six J.D.'s since, including my first, which was a pre-loved Roadie Active. I really miss that Bass.. There is currently a long waiting list on new orders at the moment, but I'm not in any great rush!

The Alembic is a long-scale signature series. It's heavy at around 12 pounds and I don't find it that comfortable to play for long periods. It's quite a stretch for my fretting hand, as I'm a little short (1.73 metres). I came across it by chance when I dropped by The Bass Centre in London - looking for an Ampeg head to try out. I ended up negotiating a deal for both. The Ampeg passed away last year, and the Alembic has been up for sale on BC recently for a fair price; but no takers.

I should love this Bass more, but I've been recording a few new tunes over the last 12-months with my J.D.'s (custom and Fret-less) but you never know. Cheers.