Why become a member? ×

Looking for a Protec Case in the Uk

rainbowreality

[quote name='rainbowreality' timestamp='1380909854' post='2232371']
Have gone for the Protec, would have considered a Fusion F1 but would have had to wait for it to come in stock everywhere I checked.

Looking forward to getting this, it's gotta be a million times better than my non waterproof, barely any protection PMT piece of rubbish!
[/quote]

Yeah, I got mine from DJM, in lime green/black... not because that was my favourite colour but because it was the only one they had left. I could not find it anywhere else.

I'm sure the Protec is a great case anyway! Do report back with your impressions, please.

[quote name='rainbowreality' timestamp='1380909854' post='2232371']
.....waterproof.....
[/quote]

At a gig in January, we sound checked in the afternoon, then I put my bass back in its Protec case and left it leaning in a corner of the back storage/dressing room while we went out for something to eat.
There was lots of snow about, but this evening it was raining. Obviously this creates water on the ground in itself, but it also melted the snow at a mighty rate. I got back to the room to find the case standing in about an inch of water!

Thankfully, the inside of the case and bass were totally dry.

For those gigging in Nottingham: if you are gigging at The Maze, don't leave your gear anywhere near the floor of that back room!

• 2 weeks later...

Got a Protec Contego from Thomann. Very well buildt and tough. I can fit my 35" TRB. It also fits the Ken Smith (wider body) and any P or J type bass.

It's very well put together, offers the same protection as a hardcase (the sides are reinforced, you can't fold the case like a carry bag) and it's lighter than a softcase (like the sadowsky softcases). It has a very clever strap system, you can use it as a back pack but also has a strap that secures the others when you want to carry it on your hand and prevents them to be dragging on the floor.

For the price i can't see a better alternative.

• 1 month later...

Quick update - Thomann is definitely the place to go for Protec.

Current UK dealer price through their distributor is about the same as Thomann are selling them for!

My guess is Thomann are buying large quantities direct from the States and passing savings on to the customer.

Bit short-sighted by Protec but so long as Thomann are giving good service their price should undercut anyone over here.

[quote name='Lenny B' timestamp='1385884767' post='2293090']
Are these cases (protec / mono) strong enough for air travel? Or is a proper hard case/ flight case preferable?
[/quote]

The Protec would be fine as long as you'd manage get it on the plane as carry-on luggage imo. However If you have to check in your bass its a different story. I would be very nervous about the outcome of airline baggage handling using any hybrid case.

I got my bass onboard a BMI flight to Ireland about 4 years ago in a protec, it was my only luggage though, my clothes were in my brother's case.

Check with the airline, the MU state that musicians should be allowed to carry instruments on board as long as they fit in the overhead or other luggage holder, sometimes the cabin crew will stow it with their gear.

I wouldn't risk either a Protec or a Mono case checked in though, and the Mono is the stronger of the two.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1386004883' post='2294538']
Check with the airline, the MU state that musicians should be allowed to carry instruments on board as long as they fit in the overhead or other luggage holder, sometimes the cabin crew will stow it with their gear.
[/quote]

Unfortunately the ultimate decision on whether you'll be able to take your bass on board into the cabin rest with the check-in and flight crew for your particular flight, and nothing you have been told in advance is worth anything. The smaller and more compact the case is the easier it will be if they are feeling accommodating. The Mono case is about the same size as a Hiscox LiteFlight (and not that much lighter) which is far more likely to survive in the hold.