Why become a member? ×

A Ritter Jupiter rip off??

ZenBasses

Yes, it's a fake. Those eBay ads have appeared a number of times. I forwarded them to Jens awhile back. He replied quickly that he was already aware the companies were producing fakes.

If you've not already viewed it, there's a YouTube video from a recent NAMM show where Jens Ritter posed as a reporter and tried to ask questions of one of the fake-builders. He was quite classy. (I would not have reacted so reserved.)

Edited by TolerancEJ

[quote name='TolerancEJ' timestamp='1380123617' post='2221187']
Yes, it's a fake. Those eBay ads have appeared a number of times. I forwarded them to Jens awhile back. He replied quickly that he was already aware the companies were producing fakes.

If you've not already viewed it, there's a YouTube video from a recent NAMM show where Jens Ritter posed as a reporter and tried to ask questions of one of the fake-builders. He was quite classy. (I would not have reacted so reserved.)
[/quote]

Its not a "fake" though, is it? Its not trying to pass itself off as an actual Ritter. Not quite the same thing. Still a bit morally dubious though...

Edited by uncle psychosis

[quote name='TolerancEJ' timestamp='1380123617' post='2221187']

[/quote]

A fake from the Govan area of Glasgow???

Never been known :rolleyes:[size=4] [/size][size=4] :rolleyes:[/size]

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1380123838' post='2221194']

Its not a "fake" though, is it? Its not trying to pass itself off as an actual Ritter. Not quite the same thing. Still a bit morally dubious though...
[/quote]

How is it any different to any of the cheap Fender/Musicman/Gibson/Rickenbacker copies?

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1380135357' post='2221423']
How is it any different to any of the cheap Fender/Musicman/Gibson/Rickenbacker copies?
[/quote]

Thats why I said "a bit". If the thing doesn't break any copyright/trademark laws then I'm alright with it, so long as people are honest about who made it and where.

I don't think it poses any threat whatsoever to Jens' business.

Anybody who cannot begin to afford one of his basses but likes the look of them (not me!) rather than appreciating the level of craftsmanship would love this. Maybe the reason Jens was so gracious is that he is quietly flattered...

In a way, it's a bit like a well known and distinctive bass brand that has been hotly debated on here (clue: it rhymes with Schtickenhacker) except i believe Ritter instruments are well made and innovative - which could be another reason he isn't all that bothered by cheap copies.