Why become a member? ×

£250 for a home bass combo

Lotusmark2

Line6 Lowdown Studio 110.

75 watts, has 4 different amp models on it, plus compression. Should be able to get some modern tones from that, plus traditional as well. Every time I`ve heard a bassist play through a Line6 amp I`ve been very impressed with the sound.

Or there`s the TC Electronic BG250. A bit powerful for home use, but very flexible, plenty of modern tones available.

Edited by Lozz196

I've played through a Line 6 as mentioned above, and was so impressed for home/studio use. Being a smaller bit of kit, it won't have the type of projection that a large amp will, which causes the bass sound to travel even when you don't want it to! Number of sounds as well, just crazy.

If you use a head/cab situation, you could try getting a small cab and use your head. I don't have something separate in terms of cab right now (considering it), but don't use my stage power amp while working in my music area as it has a permanent cooling fan which sounds like I'm running a vacuum cleaner! Great sounding power amp for stage though.

Most of the Fender offerings at that price are pretty big and bulky, not sure if that's what you really want at home. Sound quite nice, but not the number of options for home fun the Line 6 offers.

I actually really like some of the more powerful Fender 2x10+hf combos for sound (open and clean), but they are gigging beasts and not in that price range!

Not had a chance to try the PJB briefcase as mentioned above, they sure look nice!

Hartke kick-back combos are cheap as chips used, but no FX except a limiter. The 35W version is pretty small, and the one I had would just about manage a rehearsal with a (restrained) drummer. I mean a drummer that kept the volume down, not one that was tied up or anything.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1379847250' post='2217301']
The 35W version is pretty small, and the one I had would just about manage a rehearsal with a (restrained) drummer. I mean a drummer that kept the volume down, not one that was tied up or anything.
[/quote]

You should try this - they're even quieter this way. :P

The Genz Contour 500 combo I just sold is a cracker and are further reduced now to £299 at BassDirect.

Its much more than a home combo but it has all the features you could want like headphone and aux in sockets. The gain and pre-amp volumes are perfect for getting it to play nice and quiet without losing any of its punch. Crank the master volume when there's no-one around! It's also quite light if a little bulky to walk about with.

So, a bit more than your budget but worth a look perhaps?