Why become a member? ×

Come Up and See Me

allighatt0r

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1322479300' post='1451180']
You mean the crowd pleaser's :)
[/quote]
Yeah!

All part of being in a covers band I suppose, and it does get them up on the floor.

Loved your band's version BTW.

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1322519197' post='1452153']
Where did this spring from. It's a 3 year old thread!

Complex? Isn't it just standard passing notes with feel. Maybe I'm missing something. If I am I'm playing it wrong..
[/quote]

Not everyone is up to the same standard of playing.

I have to agree with Dave, we don't all have "good ears & fast fingers",
so what comes easy to one person, can be quite difficult for another.

As for the thread being 3 years old, for anyone reading it for the first time,
or for someone who has joined BC since the thread was posted, it is NEW to them.

The whole point of keeping all the old threads is surely for reference,
or should they all be deleted after a month.

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1213705663' post='220568']
I am so afraid of noodling along though because when i do more often than not what i play sounds rubbish. :)

Ah well, i best go start practicing.
[/quote]

This is what you must work on the most as being able to make the track work with the least amount of run throughs is what makes a bass player
worth his salt.

The track is easy so make out a chord chart and just ask the drummer what pattern he is going to play and follow his kick all the way through.

There is a riff you could follow based around a major scale...once or twice, IIRC, but for a first run through, this is less important.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1322576598' post='1452931']
The track is easy so make out a chord chart and just ask the drummer what pattern he is going to play and follow his kick all the way through.
[/quote]

Its funny but i dont think i know the chords to any of the 100+ songs we cover. Its just struck me that if someone was to ask what the chord was i could only tell them the bass note. I tend to sit down and play through the tracks by ear or with bass tabs. Ive never actually written any of them down as i dont want to ever rely on charts at gigs.

Does that make me a bit odd lol.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1322577690' post='1452968']
Its funny but i dont think i know the chords to any of the 100+ songs we cover. Its just struck me that if someone was to ask what the chord was i could only tell them the bass note. I tend to sit down and play through the tracks by ear or with bass tabs. Ive never actually written any of them down as i dont want to ever rely on charts at gigs.

Does that make me a bit odd lol.
[/quote]

No..not odd, but might put you at a disadvantage if things are sprung on you.
I don't want to get into a reading debate but knowing the chords helps you with what runs/fills etc etc you might want to throw in,
and if you are going to have the chords, you might as well have the song format written as well...and then if you are going to do that...throw in the written line that you sometimes
forget..and then before you know it, you are almost reading the song/gig.

Once you can do that...you learn intervals and hear stock patterns...so then you progress to transposing on the fly when a stand-in singer/guest asks do you do this in such and such a key, and then bob is your uncle.
When you do that..people know you can wing a gig and you get called for deps so end up playing more and knowing so many people...
but if you don't want to go that route..............that's ok..but it is still worthwhile

If you can follow charts, then you only need one run through at rehearsal per new song..and you can change/enhance your set within weeks.
Also..when you learn it off the CD in one key and the singer is struggling...dropping it a tone or so...enables you not waste a rehearsal.

For a bit of fun practise...maybe just play bass chords through any song you have learnt...your ear should soon tell you if you are right or wrong..as it easily sounds fugly :) :)

Edited by JTUK

Oh dont get me wrong, i know chords and intervals etc, its just that i haven't really worked the chords out to any of the songs as i try and learn by ear by just playing the tracks over and over. By the end i can pretty much improvise over the song anyway.
This is all in a controlled band setting though. Ive never stood in for anyone at short notice other than depping with another similar band but they did more or less the same set of songs. In fact i used to know most of the songs better than they did.
I enjoy spending time learning songs through my PC so tend to brainwash myself with the original tracks on my ipod during the day at work. I find if I know how the song should sound then playing along is pretty easy and stops me getting lost if i do forget how it goes.
Ive had a few incidents where ive relied on charts, noyl to have those charts get moved during the gig and ive been left to wing it, badly.
One thing i did cheat on (maybe thats not the right phrase) was to buy a 5 string so i could play their versions without having to re work the lines from the original keys. That help a lot and got me in to 5 string basses.

2 sorts of gigs round here., mostly
Main band which is rehearsed and not one that you can really dep out. we have tried it with drummers who do very well on the dep circuit and it doesn't work that well... by comparison.

The others are led by a band leader who will get/take gigs and then put a band around it. The more jazz orienated use a lot of charts and the diversity of tunes is such that you can't wing these without them
so you have to be able to follow/read them.

The more blues/gtr based bands are also excellent musically, IMO, but you just don't know who will be on the gig and charts are less available unless you make your own pad..
It is not uncommon to meet players for the first time on any of these type of gigs...so you need any method of being quick and efficient to make the track as seamless as possible.

So although you might know 'Dock of the bay' in one key you have no idea which key the singer prefers if you have never met them before...or whether that track will even be offered up at the gig.
So a quick look at the set list and a quick scribble of important parts or key phrases or M8/changes are all the norm

So I would say, be prepared to play any old standard in any key by any method you have to do that...
Some gtrs play entirely by ear... but then if they drop out it isn't as critical as the bass doing that...

Yeah, i can see how you need to be on your toes with those gigs. My other band used to ask me to learn loads of songs i never actually got to play, or they would also call out some songs that i had learnt/knew and yes, they would be in another key. Hence the 5 sting. That showed them lol.
They would send me their play list without actually indicating what songs they do/dont do. After a while though i learnt them all and would always surprise them that i knew so and so song off the cuff.

I dont tend to learn tracks any more, my lot are too lazy. Unless we have a first dance or special request to learn we more or less stick to a core set of songs.

Ill give the bass chord thing ago next time i pick the bass up, i could do with a challenge.