Why become a member? ×

Westone goodness

hamfist

Heads up. This will go for a pittance ! The best Matsumoku build quality, same pickup as the later Aria SB's. The necks on these are as stable as Everest. Thoroughly recommended.

I have the exact same model, so not for me. Someone grab it !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WESTONE-SPECTRUM-DX-BASS-GUITAR-MATSUMOKU-JAPANESE-MANUFACTURE-/300968589849?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4613203a19

I wonder if this was the guy selling Westones on gumtree.

I'm in Leicester, so I could bid and then cut costs through cash on collection. But I don't need a four string fretted bass right now. I'm a member of the Westone forum, though I haven't posted for a while. If this was unlined fretless, I'd be bidding right now. I'm considering a lowball bid, but that didn't get very far on the SGC Nanyo a week or two ago. And what would I do with it if I bought it?

I was wondering about the concept of getting two westones, one bass one guitar, sawing them to bits, and then glueing them together to make a double neck. However, that kind of sacrilidge may have Westone people gasping in outrage. Does the guitar version of the spectrum have a reasonably flat body of similar shape to the bass so that they'll likely stick together. And in reality while I might have a pipedream of doing that, I wouldn't get around to it.

HTF can there be 12 bids but it's only up to £13.50? What are these people thinking?

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1379582119' post='2214338']

There's a reserve on this so unless you know what the reserve how do you know it will go for a pittance?
[/quote]

Because all Westones do go for very little, these days ! They are all hugely undervalued IMO. The fact that you can buy a used THunder 1A for the same price as a used Squier Affinity is just laughable IMO. The quality is in different universes.

And, yes, your point is still valid, I do not know this seller's reserve but my guess is that it's not exactly a fortune.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1379590992' post='2214485']
Because all Westones do go for very little, these days ! They are all hugely undervalued IMO. The fact that you can buy a used THunder 1A for the same price as a used Squier Affinity is just laughable IMO. The quality is in different universes.

And, yes, your point is still valid, I do not know this seller's reserve but my guess is that it's not exactly a fortune.
[/quote]

Shhhh! Don't tell everyone or the price will go up! :ph34r:

[/quote]
Thanks. Yes i see what you mean.

You could well be right when i looked at some on gumtree.

[/quote]

Westones are seriously good and underrated. I sold one exactly like the OP for around £80 a few years back. Probably going for less than that now.

And my own Thunder 1A has been with me for years, while so many other more expensive basses have gone. A great and versatile bass, used for anything from punk to funk to reggae

Another big Westone fan. Hard to beat for the money. I have a pimped Westone Thunder jet I am rather fond of that I picked up for £77 that is great - much lighter in weight than the IAs, an extra couple of frets and cool stealth look with all black hardware. Also a Pantera deluxe II X790. That wasn't cheap, mind you.

Once upon a time I owned a Westone Thunder Fretless. It was a Thunder 1, but the previous owner had installed an active tone circuit. For various reasons at the time, I gave it away. It had a hard case too. I now wish I had it.

On the other hand, my philosophy in life is not exactly one of regretting things done or not done in the past. Onwards and upwards.

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1379709521' post='2216140']
I still hope I can buy a Thunder neck that isn't a complete banana before the hipsters drive up the prices of the old 'Uncle Mat' gear well beyond what it is worth. I own a wonderfully figured Thunder 1 body, but the neck was a basket case. I've come across some junker Thunders since, but they all suffered from a warped neck.

Anyway, my Thunder after I stuck a 3/4 Samick neck on;

[/quote]

You're right, that is some lovely figuring on that Thunder body. And I like the dot pattern on that neck, with the Thunder body. Very nice !

I'm surprised you have struggled so much to get a decent neck, or at least buy a Thunder with a decent neck. I don't have that much experience, but both my Matsu Westones have beautiful necks.

It's quite possible that separate necks for sale are for sale precisely because they are bad. And when a Thunder becomes a "junker" I guess one of the main things that cause it's "death" is damage to the neck or a ruined neck.

Anyway, keep up the search !

[quote name='the hand of john curley' timestamp='1379878513' post='2217755']
Shocking...didn't meet reserve at £68.....
Amazed....I had one as my first "proper"bass when they came out. Amazing guitars.
[/quote]

I am also amazed. Why did no-one here pick it up ??

I have the exact same model already, plus a Thunder, so it wouldn't have made sense for me.

Those Spectrums are easily as good as the Thunders. Got an EMG 40DC in mine, which takes it to another level. It's a stonking bass.

I'm local, so could have bought it. And in fact I did bid on it. But, I'm not sure why I'd need another Japanese four string fretted bass. Given that I didn't feel that a Aria Pro II SB700 was significantly better than what I have now, I'm not sure that the spectrum would have been. I submit a fair number of lowball bids on basses, but feel that the reason for my lowballing is not just stinginess mixed with unrealistic expectations, but also because it's not possible to buy every attractive bass that turns up on ebay.

I'm sure the same applies to many people here. If the spectrum was a once in a blue moon instrument then I'm sure people would have made more serious bids. I'm now keeping a long term eye out for an unlined fretless 4 string. If a Thunder 2 of that description turned up local to me or with reasonable postage ... then my bid will look more serious. But, there are absolutely loads of fretted Matsumoku Westones turning up on ebay, so if one goes unsold, another will be along.

In any case, it's quite possible the seller will relist the item.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1379920894' post='2218115']
I'm local, so could have bought it. And in fact I did bid on it. But, I'm not sure why I'd need another Japanese four string fretted bass. Given that I didn't feel that a Aria Pro II SB700 was significantly better than what I have now, I'm not sure that the spectrum would have been. I submit a fair number of lowball bids on basses, but feel that the reason for my lowballing is not just stinginess mixed with unrealistic expectations, but also because it's not possible to buy every attractive bass that turns up on ebay.

I'm sure the same applies to many people here. If the spectrum was a once in a blue moon instrument then I'm sure people would have made more serious bids. I'm now keeping a long term eye out for an unlined fretless 4 string. If a Thunder 2 of that description turned up local to me or with reasonable postage ... then my bid will look more serious. But, there are absolutely loads of fretted Matsumoku Westones turning up on ebay, so if one goes unsold, another will be along.

In any case, it's quite possible the seller will relist the item.
[/quote]

I think my general point is not to anyone in particular but just a general rant that Westones are not appreciated or trendy. The build quality and parts on many is right up there with the equivalent Aria models. However, without the links to Cliff Burton and John Taylor, Westone stay firmly in the perceived "Japcrap" division.
Good for me, in that I can buy awesome cheap basses, but I would love more people to discover and appreciate them too.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1380000434' post='2219234']
I think my general point is not to anyone in particular but just a general rant that Westones are not appreciated or trendy. The build quality and parts on many is right up there with the equivalent Aria models. However, without the links to Cliff Burton and John Taylor, Westone stay firmly in the perceived "Japcrap" division.
Good for me, in that I can buy awesome cheap basses, but I would love more people to discover and appreciate them too.
[/quote]

I was using myself as an example, and surmising that others may be in a similar situation. I think that Westones are valued, but there is the matter of supply and demand. The Japanese Westones are now all 20 years old or more. But there are still plenty of them around because basses are an item that tends to be robust and last a long time. In the meantime, there are loads of worthy basses being sold. CV and VM Squiers, nice Yamahas such as the RBX260s, 270s, 370s. And as they are sold they enter the population of desirable basses that may hit the second hand market. Meaning that the supply side is quite high. Initially the VM and CV Squiers sold for money close to their new prices as they were desired and there weren't too many. The second hand price for those seems to have edged down a bit recently. As Squier continues to build and sell large numbers of these, I wouldn't be surprised if the second hand price for those heads down to the prices Westones typically sell for. Not because they aren't worthy or valued, but simply because there are a high number of worthy/valued basses out there competing for the second hand buyer.

And if Westones suddenly did become more valued so that everyone was chasing them, that would mean that there would be fewer people chasing CV/VM Squiers and the better Yamaha RBXs. So then perhaps you have Yamaha RBX270/370s selling quite frequently for £50, instead of just occasionally. And then we have someone on here asking why these instruments aren't more valued.

Edited by Annoying Twit

Very good point AT. Some people will just love that they can buy an old, vintage even, well built and a little unusual piece of kit for little money. Some other will be a little disappointed that their "old, vintage even, well built and a little unusual piece of kit" hasn't appreciated much in value over the years :)

It's back on if anyone fancies a pop at it

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WESTONE-SPECTRUM-DX-BASS-GUITAR-MATSUMOKU-JAPANESE-MANUFACTURE-/300974876386?"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WESTONE-SPECTRUM-DX-BASS-GUITAR-MATSUMOKU-JAPANESE-MANUFACTURE-/300974876386?[/url]

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1380000434' post='2219234']
[/quote]
I think that you're spot on that they are not seen as 'trendy'. They also stand well above the earlier Teisco's etc in playability and quality but people seem to love the kitsch appeal of the Teiscos.

I have a 1980s U.S. made Guild Pilot bass that is far better made than any U.S. Fender i've seen of the same period but goes for about a third of the cost of a Fender bass. Why? Because they aren't trendy. Most people in life are like sheep and go with the crowd (do have a few Fenders as well). It's just great that we aren't like those sheep and know how to spot a bargain!!!

Edited by BetaFunk

I think if you like them it is a good thing that they aren't expensive. My Pantera X790 was at the time the flagship model for Westone basses - best of the best - and it shows in the way it has been finished. I wonder how much a mid 80s USA Standard Precision or Jazz would fetch in showroom condition? Bloody sight more than my Westie, I'll bet, which cost me £500.