Why become a member? ×

'79 Fender P-Bass- Sienna Burst, Maple Board, £750!!!

Etienne

[attachment=9692:DSC00220.JPG][attachment=9693:DSC00222.JPG]
[attachment=9695:DSC00231.JPG][attachment=9694:DSC00221.JPG]
More info & photos available on request, sorry these ones aren't pin-sharp!
I've owned this for about 2 years, and it's a lovely instrument, take it from me! Sounds like a good P-Bass should- nails THE classic rock tone with the tone pot open, and the thick, Meters/old-school R'n'B sound with it rolled off... Fender still managed to put out some good instruments at the end of the 70's against all odds, and this is definitely one of them! As a result this bass has been gigged a fair bit in the last 29 years, and has the scars to prove it- the (apparently rare) Sienna Burst finish is dinged, chipped and worn as you'd expect after all this time... Definitely a gigger's bass rather than a museum-piece!

Apart from a couple of bridge-height adjuster screws (replaced due to corrosion), this bass is otherwise original. The pickup covers and thumbrest had disappeared long before I bought the bass, but who really needs 'em anyway? :huh:
The Ash body has a nice grain visible through the finish and is pretty lightweight for a late-70's Fender, while the maple neck is nicely broken-in on the fingerboard edges, and has some tasty tiger-stripe flaming on the back when held in the right light! Functionally, the bass works very well- the electronics are tip-top, and the truss rod, bridge and tuners all adjust smoothly. The battered non-original hard case I bought the bass with is included of course, and I will also throw in a brand-new Ritter gig-bag to use with it as well!

I have to sell this for financial reasons unfortunately, and am letting it go for the fair price of £800, which was what I paid for it. Sorry, no offers or trades! Just looking for cash here...

I'm based just south of Liverpool City Centre (by Sefton Park). Potential buyers are positively encouraged to come and try this out in person. Collection is preferred, but I'm prepared to deliver this within a 50-mile radius if my diesel costs are covered... Sorry, but I will not post this- it's too good for that!

Thanks a lot for looking!

Etienne :)

Edited by Etienne

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='220260' date='Jun 16 2008, 10:19 PM']Nice looking PB and an unusual colour, ive certainly never seen one like that. I think uve got the price about right.

Might be good for u to introduce urself in the newbies section, before listing stuff for sale.[/quote]

Thanks dude! Only one I've ever seen in this colour in the UK so far, seen a couple pictured in Bass Player magazine fairly recently though...

I'm actually already on the introductions board! :huh: About two-thirds down the first page now I think, please read and leave a message! :)

[quote name='fleamail' post='220309' date='Jun 16 2008, 11:53 PM']Are you sure the tuners are original? They look too shiny, especially if you compare them with the rusty string tree. Amazing colour though, too bad you are not willing to post.[/quote]
[attachment=9719:DSC00230.JPG]

Hi fleamail, yes they are original, just in good nick, that's all! Please have a look at the attached photo above... Shame you're all the way over in Greece and aren't able to pop round to try it out, you'd definitely like it! :)

[quote name='Etienne' post='220632' date='Jun 17 2008, 04:55 PM'][attachment=9719:DSC00230.JPG]

Hi fleamail, yes they are original, just in good nick, that's all! Please have a look at the attached photo above... Shame you're all the way over in Greece and aren't able to pop round to try it out, you'd definitely like it! :huh:[/quote]

Better now! If I was over there I would have bought it. :) Please let me know if you change your mind about shipping it! Thanks

[quote name='fleamail' post='220309' date='Jun 16 2008, 11:53 PM']Are you sure the tuners are original? They look too shiny, especially if you compare them with the rusty string tree. Amazing colour though, too bad you are not willing to post.[/quote]

DOH......!

Lack of P knowledge alert....! :)

Fender String trees are historically nickel finish or naked stee = very easy oxidising....

Tuners are chrome plated = kept clean and well treated, no oxidising....

Ettienne, that is one of the prettiest Ps I've seen for a while

Thanks for the compliments people! I MAY consider shipping this if it hasn't found a home in the next 2 weeks or so... in which case the buyer will have to cover the relevant costs.

I guess this also qualifies as a BUMP! :)

That looks exactly like my '81 (with S9 serial no).

I believe that colour was only available in 1981 & 82 as part of the "international" colour range, later ones having white pickup covers and no chrome covers. The body on mine is the heaviest piece of Northern Ash I've ever felt. It would be nice to have one the same but lighter, but the missus would probably notice it & then I'd be in trouble. :)

[attachment=9853:DSC00244.JPG][attachment=9854:DSC00241.JPG][attachment=9855:DSC00249.JPG]
[attachment=9856:DSC00251.JPG][attachment=9857:DSC00247.JPG][attachment=9858:DSC00248.JPG]

Early weekend BUMP, plus pics of neck/body join, neck wear and back of body for earlier interested PMers... hope these help!

BTW, have no suitable scales to weigh this at the mo, but it's certainly the lightest ash-bodied P-Bass that I've come across... At a guess, 9lbs?

Thanks!

P.s. Yes I know, the action is pretty high, but I prefer to dig in with either fingers or pick myself! :)

• 2 weeks later...

God i would sooo love this bass!!
not what you want to hear but i cant afford it, new baby and all that!, the wife would go mad, a fantastic bass at a great price and in such good nick, that finish is amazing its similar to my musicman sterling, im tempted to get rid of my warwick 5 to get this, but with an identical warwick still not selling on here i doubt id get a quick sale.
Anyway good luck with the sale its a fantastc bass,have a huge BUMP!!!!!! - LEE