Why become a member? ×

Being the one who says "no" to gigs.

Beer of the Bass

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1380222179' post='2222591']
There seems to be something about music that many people believe they must be paid or they won't play. It's a point of view, I suppose, but I'm interested in why music should be so unique in this respect? [/quote]

I don't say no to gigs because of the money, I would happily play for free. The money is not the issue. The issue is having to put yourself out considerably for 5 hours to play in a crappy little pub with only 3 punters inside. I just can't see the point. I would happily go and play for free if there were 100 happy people there. I just find it completely demoralising. I don't actually find gigging that stimulating in the first place so I can take it or leave it. I enjoy playing music but it for my own enjoyment really so it has to something more than gigging just for the sake of it.

Somewhere along the line there seems to be a little element of "you can't do something you enjoy AND get paid for it" coming across here!
Personally I very much enjoy playing but I'm of an age and salary that I can't afford to do it for nothing. It's swings and roundabouts, last week drove a mile, played a wedding until midnight, got fed watered and a ton in wages, happy days and enjoyable too not just because of the wedge. Tonight, 30mile or so round trip and about £36 each....a pub we have done since the band formed....but, it's always a full house (small pub) and we enjoy ourselves emmensly. Now the singer and guitarist live in Crawley and have a small kid, so by the time they've paid fuel (60mile round trip) and a sitter they're on a loss, but subsidised by last weeks cash fest! Singer (who books gigs) could quite easily say forget it, it's not worth it but she enjoys just getting up there like the rest of us. We've done the summer festivals for nothing but they have spawned other gigs from punters in the crowd. It works in different ways for different bands, personally I think if someone is making a profit from your presence then you are entitled to some kind of payment.
You've got to look at what the other members get or need from a gig, I booked a gig in my local pub and their pay is lower than our usual minimum, I wouldn't dream of confirming until I'd checked with the rest of the band if they're happy with that.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1380228090' post='2222665']
It's beginning to look like some musicians won't get out of bed unless they're being paid for it. ;)
[/quote]

Everyones entitled to set their own rules, the trick is to only be in bands with like minded people.

Absolutely. I hope I haven't come across as trying to say how people should run bands (or lives) as that was certainly not my intention, but it's very interesting I think to draw out the various feelings of different people and different bands.

I reckon the clear conclusion is that there is a very wide range of approaches to this music thing and they're all represented on BC, which makes your point about finding like-minded people all the more pertinent. We've had a gazillion posts BC about conflicts within bands and it's not too difficult to see why.

[quote name='randythoades' timestamp='1380278259' post='2223113']
Exactly! That's why I am not keen on gigs...
[/quote]

Haha ok.. so you want to reform Vinyl Tap to just to practice then? :D

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1380272326' post='2223005']
Everyones entitled to set their own rules, the trick is to only be in bands with like minded people.
[/quote]

exactly this - it doesn't work any other way; you need people with the same motivation

[quote name='BobVbass' timestamp='1380266435' post='2222928']
Very true - but you don't get the 100 people gigs without paying your dues at the 3 punter ones unfortunately... ;)
[/quote]

[quote name='randythoades' timestamp='1380278259' post='2223113']
Exactly! That's why I am not keen on gigs...
[/quote]

There is absolutely no reason to be playing these kinds of gigs. In fact the only reason I can see that you would be doing them is because either your band is crap, the venue is in the middle of nowhere with no regular audience, or because you can't be bothered to do the publicity required to get the audience in.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1380291145' post='2223362']
There is absolutely no reason to be playing these kinds of gigs. In fact the only reason I can see that you would be doing them is because either your band is crap, the venue is in the middle of nowhere with no regular audience, or because you can't be bothered to do the publicity required to get the audience in.
[/quote]

haha - yes all of the above - another great reason to get in a band where the people booking the gigs know what they're doing a damn sight better than me and leave me to doing the bits where I can contribute best

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1380227422' post='2222653']
I can understand that, but if it was me then I think I'd just give up gigging at that stage. We have turned down gigs for some of the reasons you mention, except the money one.
[/quote]

But then I would have missed some really worthwhile gigs on good stages..great crowds and a real buzz and alround blast.
We have found you can have all that (mostly ) and get decent money.

It just depends how picky or not you want to be......

I do tend to think that if we gig enough and hit most, if not all our criteria, and make the decent money, then people also agree with us.

To get paid well to do a gig is not a garauntee that the band is any good.... but they may be deemed worth the fee..or can get one,
but I do consider it insulting that anyone could consider they wouldn't offer us one...

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1380227784' post='2222658']
I'm beginning to think I'm a soft touch. I've had a couple of photos published in a book that a friend wrote, but I didn't charge him for them and was happy with just an acknowledgement. I've also provided photos for other publicity purposes, though some of those were for a charity so that probably doesn't count. I must learn to become more mercenary!

Hey, I wonder if we could start charging BC for the benefit of our posts - without us it wouldn't exist! ;)
[/quote]

That is what forums do... they sell the collective knowledge that is offered freely, draws an audience and then sell that audience to advertisers... which of course, you know :lol: :lol:

A friend of mine is becoming a very in-demand photographer...as he is really good with a great eye..IMO.. and he gets asked by journalistsn if they can use a pic or two... which he is/was happy to do... but he keeps an eye out for where they end up and for certain journos who have taken the p... he charges them to his choosen charity and you should hear them bleat, even though they have effectively sold his pic... in that they got paid for the article that included his pics...

When that happens too often, you get harder... but for a friend to do that is really not on.

The good news is that he is in such demand, that he may well give up his business and go and do the thing he loves...

[quote name='BobVbass' timestamp='1380286449' post='2223287']
Haha ok.. so you want to reform Vinyl Tap to just to practice then? :D
[/quote]

That's not fair and not accurate. It is true that if the choice was crummy gigs or just practice then I would prefer to just rehearse. I wouldn't call it practice though (although God knows I need it...). I prefer to think of it as a get together with a couple of good mates and have a jam and play some good tunes. No pressure, no agenda, no false promises, no expectations, no playing the same song 20 times in a row to nail the middle eight.
I do appreciate that this is not enough for some people and that playing gigs is an inevitability, and small gigs the only real starting place. Therefore, I would prefer to do as someone else has suggested and put more effort into publicity etc to get the better gigs in the first place as quickly as possible, festivals, parties, events. I think this would be a better overall use of time than hauling stuff to a gig halway across London for no other reason than for the fact that it actually WAS a gig.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1379111295' post='2208930']
This must be a common issue! In one of my bands, the member who does most of the gig bookings is not very good at saying no to gig offers. We've had a couple of gigs in the past where we've been left out of pocket, playing to oblivious audiences and wondering why we bothered. Currently I'm trying to explain to the band why I'm not keen on doing an out-of-town charity gig in between Christmas and New Year, where I'll have to rent a vehicle to shift our gear (I'm the only driver) and the promoter is offering "as little as possible" in payment. We do still get plenty of gigs which feel worth doing, but I feel like we could be more selective.
Any tips on getting my viewpoint across without seeming like a grumpy b@stard?
[/quote]

To the OP. There's nothing wrong with saying "no" to gigs if you don't believe that they benefit the band. However if you find yourself constantly at odds with the rest of your band mates regarding the sorts of gigs they want to do, then you are probably in the wrong band.

These days ensuring that all the members of the band have the same goals and aspirations as regards gigging/recording/rehearsing, is probably more important than being into the same kind of music.

[quote name='randythoades' timestamp='1380352613' post='2224065']
That's not fair and not accurate. It is true that if the choice was crummy gigs or just practice then I would prefer to just rehearse. I wouldn't call it practice though (although God knows I need it...). I prefer to think of it as a get together with a couple of good mates and have a jam and play some good tunes. No pressure, no agenda, no false promises, no expectations, no playing the same song 20 times in a row to nail the middle eight.
I do appreciate that this is not enough for some people and that playing gigs is an inevitability, and small gigs the only real starting place. Therefore, I would prefer to do as someone else has suggested and put more effort into publicity etc to get the better gigs in the first place as quickly as possible, festivals, parties, events. I think this would be a better overall use of time than hauling stuff to a gig halway across London for no other reason than for the fact that it actually WAS a gig.
[/quote]

Let me get this straight...

You're in a Spinal Tap tribute band and you're finding it difficult getting worthwhile gigs? I can't help but think something is wrong here.

[quote]You're in a Spinal Tap tribute band and you're finding it difficult getting worthwhile gigs? I can't help but think something is wrong here. [/quote]

Nah just some ribbing between RT and me ;)

We started doing it about 20 years ago before t'internet an all & have got back together a couple of times to do the odd gig - last one was a big one in Cardiff about five years ago maybe; inflatable Stonehenge, drumset like a custom chopper etc looked great, sounded great, audience loved it. Every time we've got it back together we've said we'll really put some effort into it and get some decent gigs going but for whatever reason we never quite do in true Spinal Tap style :D

In the meantime we've all got regularly gigging bands and busy lives so I'm not sure whether another VT resurrection is the right thing at the mo - even though we have a great laugh when we do it and it sounds great (and RTs one of my best friends ;))

Edited by BobVbass

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1380367910' post='2224340']
Let me get this straight...

You're in a Spinal Tap tribute band and you're finding it difficult getting worthwhile gigs? I can't help but think something is wrong here.
[/quote]

Trouble is, we over saturated the market, we didn't get to play in big college towns, we ended up with a depressiong looking album that you wore on you arm rather than put on your turntable, and after God knows how many time of asking, they kept putting Puppet Show first and Vinyl Tap second on the bill...
Plus, as you can gather, someone that loves gigging for the sake of it, and someone that doesn't! And a drummer just into the sex and drugs...
As you might imagine, we have a fun but tempestous time! I want to start again but really go for the show aspect...hint, hint...

Bob likes to poke fun at the poor newbie bassist, trying to make something in this world....:-(
Good job we're great mates or I might develop an alcohol problem, or a complex...

Edited by randythoades