Why become a member? ×

Learning EUB

Geek99

Afraid I don't know much about EUBs, but seeing as how things are quiet...

I'm guessing a lot of people would say that unless budget and/or space is a problem, why not go the whole way and get a proper upright? You will probably end up doing that anyhow, so cut to the chase. :)

As for a lined EUB, I don't know if such a thing exists, but even if it did I'd say you'd be wasting a great opportunity to progress if you went down that road. Don;t let lack of confidence stop you going the whole way. Lots of us on here who started hardly believing we could ever play an upright now reckon getting into double bass was the best thing that we ever did by a very long way.

Go for it. :)

Edited by fatback

Not seen a lined EUB
I often wondered about playing double bass
I had a few very brief "dabbles" - just a few minutes really....

Last year, I bought a Stagg EUB
and though the strings were awful, I persisted
Then I got some much better ones, and loved it

I've just recently bought my first "proper" DB and I just wish I could play it all the time :)
Yes, you may end up buying an acoustic DB after buying an EUB
But I fully intend to keep my Stagg as a backup & more portable DB....

You could always pick one up on here second-hand?
They aren't lined, but you've got the dot position markers on the side of the neck....

I'd say go for a 2nd hand one
If you don't get on with it, well you haven't spent a fortune
and you could flog it on anyway

For me, it convinced me to buy an acoustic DB :)

Have fun....

Thanks - I don't have the space for acoustic - a simple cheap EUB will do. I suppose I could always put some lines on with tape - just didnt want to buy a piece of junk

I tried a stagg EUB once - never spotted the dot markers

How do you guys find the correct spot on the neck for any given note ?

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1379020178' post='2207942']
Thanks - I don't have the space for acoustic - a simple cheap EUB will do. I suppose I could always put some lines on with tape - just didnt want to buy a piece of junk

[/quote]

Ears, and what TNIT said. I recently stuck a small bit of gaffa on the side of my neck at the octave, it helped with the higher positions for when I'm in a hurry.
Ironically my harley benton EUB has had dot markers put in on the side of the neck, the other side that i can't see. Some lefty is having a laugh at my expense. :(

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1379020178' post='2207942']

[/quote]

Many people start learning fretless by drawing a little pencil line on the side at the G, A, B and octave. No harm at all imo, and the pencil soon rubs off.

The whole business of markers is moderately contentious amongst db players. Some people wholly disapprove; others are more relaxed about it. For gigs, I use little stick on paper dots at those spots, so it doesn't matter if I can't hear. I don't use them for practice, and I deliberately practice without looking at the board anyway.

I have found a tuner clipped onto the bridge for occasional checking of intonation has worked absolute wonders for my ears as well as my playing. Others don't like the idea at all.

I wouldn't worry about how you set about it as long as you aim in the end to get good intonation without being too much dependent on your eyes.

Above all, don't be intimidated. There will be frustration in spades, but in time you're going to love your EUB. :)

Edited by fatback

Scales - when I first started playing I wanted to make sure my ear was working hard to effect what my hands were doing. Even practicing I, III and V traids helped a lot and got me moving between and along strings. Handy as a warm up initially. I too wanted fret lines, a pain stakingly cut thin slithers of electrician tape and created my own, they then fell off as my hand moved up the fretboard. At present, I have a sticker to show me where G, C, F, Bb are. I stomp on my tuner hit a C, then the octave and then the 5th before playing to prove to myself I have the confidence to find the notes! I used to keep a clip on tuner (stark jobby) on the bridge so I could constantly check. I found I wasn't interacting with the audience but staring at letters changing on a screen!

Create backing tracks (I use garageband) and practice different routes through scales - you discover you naturally want to find different 'walks' to take and almost by osmosis finding what works and what doesn't. It's certainly built up a nice bank of phrases allowing me to jam at open mic nights etc.

If you are slapping and finding your fingers are hurting, don't jump straight for £100s worth of strings - it does take time for your fingers to adjust. Mine blistered terribly on my right hand, especially the middle finger. Germoline rubbed into the fingers before or after is brill - it saved me from taping my fingers which, in my opinion, takes the feeling away.