Why become a member? ×

Adding a J to your P

niceguyhomer

Thinking of adding a J pup to my P bass and was wondering if anyone would like to share their experiences before I go ahead. Would like to know the usual stuff ...how much? Did it spoil the bass? Does it mean having a cover on the back of the bass etc? What did it do to the overall tone of the bass? etc etc....

Ta muchly

No need for any back routing and it shouldn't really detract from what's already there soundwise. You'll get that bit off tight , poppier sound from the new J pup to dial in and out as you please. Cost can be as little as the price of a J pup and (probably) a pot/knob if you're getting the old chisels out yourself.

Not sure I'd do it to a valuable , older Fender.

Correction - not sure I'd do it AGAIN to a valuable, older Fender :) :huh:

Folk will pick me up on this (esp the S1 swicth fans) but - my opinion ........

You'll get closer to a Jazz sound by doing this to a Precision (and still have the Precision sound) than you would by buying a Jazz and trying to make it sound like a Precision.

If you love your P , Alan , I wouldn't to be honest. You could pick up a Mex P (or even a squier) on the cheap and have a crack on that without losing much if you sell it on - and gaining the answers to your questions in the process.

or......

Get a Jazz with a P neck , then between the two you have every noise a Fender's likely to make - you know you will in the end!!!

Edited by Dr.Dave

if you add a second vol pot for the J, or a panpot, you might just notice the P soloed might sound a tiny bit darker than it used to, due to the loading of the pots.
a 3way switch avoids that, but you don't get the blending capability.

I got around that on my Warmoth P with a 5way rotary switch, and some tricky wiring.

check out some PJ Fenders (US hotrod P, Jazz special, US precision plus, aerodyne, JP90, and Squiers (squier precision special, Frank Bello sig).

I've taken the plunge Al and sent the DD body off to have the routing done for a bridge jazz pick-up. Also having a side jack fitted and a battery box put in to give me maximum future flexibity.

I stuck a J in my SX P. I had the pickup lying around anyway, and being a cheap bass I haven't got any problem with the hammer and chisel routing! There is an output difference in the pickups though, so if I was trying to do a "proper" job I would probably get a matching set.

For me I think it's the way forward! I love the sound of a P but they get too woolly higher up the neck so dialing in a bit of J really tightens things up.

Paul.

[quote name='obbm' post='220242' date='Jun 16 2008, 08:56 PM']I've taken the plunge Al and sent the DD body off to have the routing done for a bridge jazz pick-up. Also having a side jack fitted and a battery box put in to give me maximum future flexibity.[/quote]

Can't wait to hear how it all turns out Dave :)

Edited by niceguyhomer

If I were to do it again, I'd make sure I got the J wound to be a decent match to the P. Most makers just put the J from a J set with a P - and it sounds feable in comparison. I'd also make sure it wasn't too close to the bridge. Think about a humcancelling J - it can be a shock when your P bass starts to hum like a J, and you won't have the noise cancelling "both pickups on full" option when people start complaining about the hum.

BB

Edited by BassBod

I upgraded my pickups to Bartolini and got a massive improvement in the tone. Later I thought I'd got the rest of the way and put a Jazz bridge pickup in and an active pre amp. The J pickup wasn't worth it as it made very little difference to the tone! Just my experience.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='222267' date='Jun 19 2008, 04:16 PM']The P pup is a Fralin and if I was going ahead, I'd probably go for a Fralin J. They actually make a PJ set so I'm assuming any issues re; humming / output would have been resolved.

Making me think now that I should just sell / swap the bass. It'd probably be simpler :)[/quote]

This is the description of the set I bought:

[quote]Lindy Fralin Premium Precision/Jazz Bass Pickup Set! Includes set of vintage style Precision Bass 'split coil' pickups and a 'split coil' humbucking Jazz Bass bridge pickup, both brand new in the box! Lindy's 'split coil' design for the Jazz Bass bridge pickup involves two side by side RW/RP coils. You get all of the growl of a vintage Jazz Bass pickup without the noise! This design also overcomes the compatibility problems encountered when trying to mate other P-Bass sets with a Jazz Bass Bridge pickup. No matter how you combine the pickups with your volume controls the lowest possible noise floor is maintained with the highest possible output. If you're building or upgrading a P/J Bass, this is the best pickup set you can buy. Black fibreboard coil forms, alnico magnets, vintage style magnet wire, black plastic pickup covers. Good mounting hardware is included. Exact replacement for Fender and most other P/J Basses.[/quote]

It'll be interesting to see if it lives up to the spec. I'm sure it will.

[quote name='chris_b' post='222231' date='Jun 19 2008, 03:31 PM']I upgraded my pickups to Bartolini and got a massive improvement in the tone. Later I thought I'd got the rest of the way and put a Jazz bridge pickup in and an active pre amp. The J pickup wasn't worth it as it made very little difference to the tone! Just my experience.[/quote]

My experience, too. I've got a Yamaha BB1100S with a P/J setup and the Jazz does nothing for me at all. It sounds like a guitar and I hardly ever bother with it. It's certainly useless on its own.

Thanks for that OBBM - that Fralin description is the opposite of my experiences! Good to see they think about it now...certainly wasn't the case a while ago (apart from maybe EMG?).

I lean much more to the view that a P's a P and a J's a J - why mix them? But it took me years to get to that, and my old PJ fretless was a bit lovely.

Good luck

BB

[quote name='BassBod' post='222343' date='Jun 19 2008, 04:29 PM']I lean much more to the view that a P's a P and a J's a J - why mix them? But it took me years to get to that, and my old PJ fretless was a bit lovely.

BB[/quote]

I agree but my band don't like me using a P Bass cos in their opinion - it's too wooly and indistinct (is that a word?) - they like a Jazz or Musicman type sound. I have this lovely Lakland Duck Dunn that looks and plays lovely and I'd like to keep it but don't see the point in having it if I can't use it.

I realise I could tell 'em to disappear up their own yoohoos but thought adding a J pup would be a good compromise.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='222373' date='Jun 19 2008, 06:31 PM']....my band don't like me using a P Bass cos in their opinion - it's too wooly and indistinct (is that a word?) - they like a Jazz or Musicman type sound. I have this lovely Lakland Duck Dunn that looks and plays lovely....[/quote]
How do you get "wooly and indistinct" (yes it is a word) with your amp and cabs? Tell them it's vintage and warm.

With my crap hearing I also find a P a bit woolly which needs to be tightened a bit. For a short while I had a Fender Aerodyne and found the mix of P and J pick-ups very fleible and to my liking so I decided to go for it with the DD. We shall soon see if I've been wasting my money.

I've generally been a back pickup Jbass player - as long as I've been playing. Recently I did a "covers" dep gig (chic, 70's funk with a bit of ska-jasss?) and used a Dimarzio'd Pbass with flats. Loved it. The jazz stayed in its case. I'll be doing more of that..if they ever ask me back!

I think I've converted

BB

[quote name='obbm' post='222380' date='Jun 19 2008, 06:43 PM']With my crap hearing I also find a P a bit woolly which needs to be tightened a bit. For a short while I had a Fender Aerodyne and found the mix of P and J pick-ups very fleible and to my liking so I decided to go for it with the DD. We shall soon see if I've been wasting my money.[/quote]

Dave - if I go ahead with the mod, will I have to ditch the Fralin P pup fitted as standard and buy the set or can I just buy the J pup?

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='222666' date='Jun 20 2008, 09:29 AM']Dave - if I go ahead with the mod, will I have to ditch the Fralin P pup fitted as standard and buy the set or can I just buy the J pup?[/quote]

You can just buy the Jazz although I'd email Lindy first. Have a look [url="http://www.fralinpickups.com/bass.asp#jazz"]here[/url]. It's the "Split-Jazz Bass Replacement Style - wound as two coils under a stock cover for hum cancelling". I'm sure you could get one at a good price from the USA. i got my set from Angela's. Very good service.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='222693' date='Jun 20 2008, 09:49 AM']When will you have yours done Dave and who's doing the work? I can't wait to hear the outcome :)[/quote]

The body was sent to the gallery on Monday. Ale reckoned about a week. When I get the body back I'll put it all back together. I have a spare Stack-knob set of pots so I might try those initially. Maybe a U-Retro later.

Do you still get down this way on business? If so you are welcome to try it.

Before you rush off and do it the same you have to consider that a Squier p-bass special would cost the same as the modifications, but it just wouldn't be the same and I just don't like the colour. :huh: