Why become a member? ×

How do these prices compare to reality?

Is this another 'German Guy', who has some interesting stuff, but at very high prices?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=&item=390557026172&_osacat=3858&_ssn=newkingsrdvintageguitars&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC0.A0.Xbass&_nkw=bass&_sacat=3858&_from=R40

I looked through for something that I'd know the value of, but didn't find anything. (Vintage Fenders etc are not my thing). But, that £795 for an Italian Eko violin bass looks, shall we say, just a touch high.

You've linked to New King's Road Vintage Guitars, well-known purveyors of high-quality instruments at ... erm ... Chelsea prices. Not sure why he might be a German, but I'm pretty sure he's not. :D

The '64 Precision in Burgundy Mist is listed at £9k; I'd guess it's actually worth about £5k, until John Terry walks in.

He's got LOADSAMONEY.

They are on the Kings Rd, Chelsea not Germany.

Recently they were listing a bunch of Richie Sambora's guitars and also Rory Gallaghers old amp. I spoke to the manager and they seem to have some pretty rich contacts so I reckon they're just surfing the vintage wave. Samboras ones came about when they had a vintage Les Paul that Richie wanted - apparently he gets bored just writing cheques for stuff and wanted to swap a load of old stuff he doesn't use for it. That's how they ended up with about 6 of them from his garage.

He said they have a load of famous names guitar techs that they just call when something interesting comes along and they pop down with the chequebook - eg Brian Mays bloke and AC30'S - that's where Rorys amp was probably heading too.

I personally think most vintage/classic/80's Jap guitars are overpriced/rated anyway. The number of '80's "classic" Hondos, Kays and Columbuses that pop up on ebay (and even here) at stupid prices with someone touting "classic and great player" is laughable - most were rubbish then and are just old rubbish now. The only real exception I can remember being half decent were 80's Westones and Squiers. I had a 66 Precision in the late 80's which I bought for £100 because it had no pickguard and was well 'roadworn'. It played like a tree trunk and sounded rubbish so I sprayed it Ford Gemini Blue with car paint and stuck a mirror guard on it and sold it for £200 a few months later. Its probably worth a few grand now to the right buyer but it was a piece of poo then. Spent the money on a Westone Thunder 1a which was a much better bass.

The Kramer 350b is at least £1000 too much - seen them go for £300 - 500 recently. The fact that Nick Lowe played it a bit is neither here nor there imho.

Edited by Mudpup

Thanks. I didn't mean that this guy was German, but was making a comparison to another seller who is German, who in the past was frequently discussed in this forum.

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1378714587' post='2203426']
I personally think most vintage/classic/80's Jap guitars are overpriced/rated anyway. The number of '80's "classic" Hondos, Kays and Columbuses that pop up on ebay (and even here) at stupid prices with someone touting "classic and great player" is laughable - most were rubbish then and are just old rubbish now. The only real exception I can remember being half decent were 80's Westones and Squiers. I had a 66 Precision in the late 80's which I bought for £100 because it had no pickguard and was well 'roadworn'. It played like a tree trunk and sounded rubbish so I sprayed it Ford Gemini Blue with car paint and stuck a mirror guard on it and sold it for £200 a few months later. Its probably worth a few grand now to the right buyer but it was a piece of poo then. Spent the money on a Westone Thunder 1a which was a much better bass.
[/quote]

I have a Japanese Cimar bass in the shape of a well known American bass. I really like it, although I admit it has a couple of foibles (must fix the earth - presumably - goes hummy occasionally). But I think how it plays and the basic sound is nice. I tried some Vintage Modified/Classic Vibe basses and feel that I prefer the Cimar. In the six-string world, I have a Westone Thunder 2A guitar, and really like it. I feel that it's in no way overrated. I have been a bit suspicious about some instruments now being sold as classics - the Hondos, Kays, and Columbuses you mention, plus the Satellites which are coming up on ebay a lot now, and Grants. I certainly wouldn't want to buy one of those without having played it. And I wouldn't have high expectations of it being good.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1378715663' post='2203444']
Thanks. I didn't mean that this guy was German, but was making a comparison to another seller who is German, who in the past was frequently discussed in this forum.

I have a Japanese Cimar bass in the shape of a well known American bass. I really like it, although I admit it has a couple of foibles (must fix the earth - presumably - goes hummy occasionally). But I think how it plays and the basic sound is nice. I tried some Vintage Modified/Classic Vibe basses and feel that I prefer the Cimar. In the six-string world, I have a Westone Thunder 2A guitar, and really like it. I feel that it's in no way overrated. I have been a bit suspicious about some instruments now being sold as classics - the Hondos, Kays, and Columbuses you mention, plus the Satellites which are coming up on ebay a lot now, and Grants. I certainly wouldn't want to buy one of those without having played it. And I wouldn't have high expectations of it being good.
[/quote]
Cimar basses were decent instruments and would have been a cut above the Columbus, Satellite, Jedson etc basses of the period.

When I see Jedson's and original Futuramas going for skywards of £300 I think if somebody buys them they are classic more money than sense. They were crap planks with strings then and definitely won't have got any better.
£300 would see me with a good MIM. YES they do exist :D

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1378731314' post='2203798']
When I see Jedson's and original Futuramas going for skywards of £300 I think if somebody buys them they are classic more money than sense. They were crap planks with strings then and definitely won't have got any better.
£300 would see me with a good MIM. YES they do exist :D
[/quote]
Everyone has jumped on the retro bandwagon. Also it's funny that nearly every 1960s Japanese guitar or bass on auction sites has a reference to Teisco when most have nothing at all to do with that company.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1378737772' post='2203949']
Everyone has jumped on the retro bandwagon. Also it's funny that nearly every 1960s Japanese guitar or bass on auction sites has a reference to Teisco when most have nothing at all to do with that company.
[/quote]

I'm almost tempted to put "THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TEISCO" on my next listing. I don't even care if I'm not selling a guitar, I just reckon it will turn up as a search result for anyone including "Teisco" in their terms. Just for the extra views.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1378738737' post='2203961']
I'm almost tempted to put "THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TEISCO" on my next listing. I don't even care if I'm not selling a guitar, I just reckon it will turn up as a search result for anyone including "Teisco" in their terms. Just for the extra views.
[/quote]
I reckon you could sell a plank of wood with a nail at each end with a length of wire attached if you put in the item description those magic words.......Matsumoku, Hoshino Gakki, FujiGen and Teisco......................!!!!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1378740664' post='2204013']
...Nothing is real.
[/quote]

So nothing is real, therefore if you were to give me your custom P bass you would be giving me nothing, so I would have to give you nothing for it.
So I'll be round in the morning to collect it :rolleyes:

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1378751095' post='2204246']
So nothing is real, therefore if you were to give me your custom P bass you would be giving me nothing, so I would have to give you nothing for it.
So I'll be round in the morning to collect it :rolleyes:
[/quote]

How..? We don't really exist. * Flies away on the back of My Little Pony *