Why become a member? ×

squier affinity vs vintage modified

clashcityrocker

Am looking for a cheap jazz,to mod abit. Anyway,after looking online iv noticed that Squier's 'entry level' affinity series is made from Adler,whereas the Vintage Modified 77 bass is made from agathis (pine I think). Now I always thought Adler was a far better wood for basses than agathis,kinda makes me think if the vm 77s are over priced just a tad,especially as squier have dropped the 'duncan design' pick ups. apart from the nice maple necks I can't see a benefit

Of the couple of Affinity basses Ive played I'd describe them as a bit 'fisher price'. Nowhere near the standard of the VM or CV range. I certainly wouldnt describe the VM's a over priced. sub £300 of damn good bass. The Duncan Designed pickups are ok but are probably the weak point on them. I swapped mine for Wizards. Dont know what the new ones are like. Personally I dont hold much store in body woods apart from the weight factor. I bought a VM to mod just like you intend to and ended up leaving it as it is since it was just so nice a construction body and neck wise. Of course if your going to mod the hell out of it then there may not be much point in splashing out on a VM but you will always have the basic good construction to work with :)

A

Just off loaded my Affinity P bass in favour of a VM Jazz 77. Chalk and cheese really. The Affinity was a decent bass to mod in fact in the end the body was all that was left of the original bass, the rest was pretty utilitarian and budget. The VM is much more grown up and finished to a much higher standard, mines got the new pickups, they aren't as good as the vintage CS ones that were in my 75 RI ( now gone) but they are more than reasonable. I Wouldn't worry too much about the body woods, the Affinity was very lightweight whereas the VM is more substantial; the VM comes in at about 9.75lbs overall about the same as most of the MM Stingrays I've had.

I'm unlikely to do any mods on this bass so at £246 new not a bad deal for a decent backup.

My VM precision arrives tomorrow!

I spent about 40 minutes A/B'ing the VM and an Affinity last weekend and the VM just felt that bit more polished. There was a noticeable difference in the quality of the neck and the electronics (serious hum from the Affinity) and the tone from the DD pickup was a world apart from the standard Squier job.

After going through 3 different fender jazzes that I wasn't particularly happy with, I decided to get a natural VM jazz and mod it. All black hardware including a badass and new electrics (duncan quater pounders and cts pots), it looks, plays and sounds better than any of the fenders I had. Well worth it!

just pointing out my alternate opinion - I've personally played one VM jazz, one USA jazz and one affinity jazz side by side, all 5 strings. I prefer the affinity in playability and amplified tone. unamplified it sounds worse, but through an amp I prefer the affinity pickups to the duncan designed pickups in the VM, at least the ones in the affinity jazz 5 are really good but might be different from the 4 string ones.

I bought one, used, for a few bucks (pretty literally). had to do a huge setup on it including neck shim, foam under pickups, bridge setup, truss rod adjustment, and new strings. but the frets were great, sound was AMAZING with d'addario XLs. I kept it for a long time without intending to. Now I'm flipping it, but it's still one hell of a bass. If I wanted a passive jazz tone I'd keep it, but I'm all about active and specialty basses right now.

Edited by donkelley