Why become a member? ×

Are people who say "my bass never goes out of tune" crazy?

thepurpleblob

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1401861393' post='2467515']
No. The people who say "my camel never goes out of tune" are the crazy ones.
Seriously though, my Status is bombproof. It's the only bass I have that I would be confident playing without tuning it first.
[/quote]

yes this plus two

Depends about how critical you are about being 'in tune' I guess. If I tune my bass, play and leave it a few days then I doubt any of my basses would show [i]exactly[/i] the same readings from the same tuner when I picked it up again, so in that sense no. Are they so far out that I can genuinely hear it and notice it's out of tune when playing along with something else? often no, so it that sense it's still 'in tune'. Of my 4 current decent quality basses it seems the Rick actually is the most stable but I think that's just because it doesn't get out much and experience variations in temp/humidity or me playing it a lot. They are only minor tweaks (barring the tuning peg getting 'flattened' as it goes into the hard case) required before the start of a gig so it doesn't bother me. I'm always waiting for others to tune up but then they have more strings to contend with ;)

My (£30) battered and faded p bass copy, with the cheapest flatwounds on it I could find, keeps tune incredibly well now that the strings have worn in a bit. I can play it every day for a week and it'll be a miniscule amount out. Can't fault that.

The basses I have now (an old Warwick, a new MM and a bitsa I built 20 years ago) all seem to be determined to stay in tune, no matter how hard I hit the strings... same thing with the non-trem guitars I own. Worst instrument I ever owned for stability was a Strat copy... just look at it sideways and it needed tuning twice. Actually play it and you were in 'alternative' tuning territory almost immediately. Don't miss that piece of firewood :-)