Why become a member? ×

To "Phillips" a guitar

Roger2611

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1377676776' post='2190099']
Most of us have probably seen “Watchdog” and “Rip-Off Britain” where they highlight individuals who are conning innocent people, so why should we not do the same, and as MistyFingers says: [b][i]“And as a public service, if the threads here prevent one naive bassist in the making from buying one of his basses and being put off for life, then it's a good thing, surely”.[/i][/b]
[/quote]
Who is complaining about being conned? That's what these programmes are about isn't it?

Whether you think something is worth the money is a totally different thing. I see lots of things for sale in shops that i don't think are worth the money and can't believe people actually buy them. Do you think i stand outside each shop with a big banner and pointing out to shoppers why they shouldn't part with their money? Of course i don't. It's their money, their choice.

Edited by BetaFunk

I remember going to Spain on holiday in the 1960s and brought home one of those straw donkeys. Everyone brought one home in those days. I was really pleased with it and had pride of place on my sideboard for a while. I got it out of the loft a few years ago and couldn't understand why i ever bought it. No complaints though as it was bought as a straw donkey and it was most definitely a straw donkey.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1377676776' post='2190099']
I remember borrowing £15 off my sister to buy my first ever bass in 1967, which was a second-hand Burns Sonic, and it took me 10 weeks to pay her back, luckily, it was great, but if it turned out to be rubbish, I would have been gutted!

Today’s equivalent would be a kid spending £200 on one of his bodged up guitars, and then finding out it was virtually unplayable, and it would probably take the kid a long time to save the money for another one.

Ok, we are only talking a couple of hundred quid for his disasters, BUT, for some people that is a lot of money.

Most of us have probably seen “Watchdog” and “Rip-Off Britain” where they highlight individuals who are conning innocent people, so why should we not do the same, and as MistyFingers says: [b][i]“And as a public service, if the threads here prevent one naive bassist in the making from buying one of his basses and being put off for life, then it's a good thing, surely”.[/i][/b]
[/quote]

[size=4]There seem to be a load of people slagging him off for what he does, and I'd agree that some of his ideas and descriptions seem a bit odd, but has anyone here actually bought or tried one of his creations? Has MistyFingers tried one?[/size]

So come on then- Someone own up: Who here has actually bought or tried a Mark D Phillips' guitar and can say thus categorically state that they play badly, or don't work?

If not then how can we possibly comment on them??. It just seems to me that there is a mob mentality at work here, Someone slagged this person off so let's all jump on the band wagon and take the piss out him as well.

[size=4]After all he straightens necks, he polishes frets, he adjusts bridges and nuts, which are all things that a 'luthier' would do. How well he does these things cannot be judged by photo's on E-bay (well I can't tell from pictures anyway).[/size]
[size=4]OK, he then does things like leaving holes where he's reduced the number of strings or taken pots out, which are things that a luthier [/size][size=4] (or indeed most people) [/size][size=4]probably wouldn't do.[/size]

[size=4]I am not saying that he does a good job, or a bad job. I really don't know, but does anyone here actually know, from hands on experience? If so please speak up.[/size]

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1377688501' post='2190310']
I remember going to Spain on holiday in the 1960s and brought home one of those straw donkeys. Everyone brought one home in those days. I was really pleased with it and had pride of place on my sideboard for a while. I got it out of the loft a few years ago and couldn't understand why i ever bought it. No complaints though as it was bought as a straw donkey and it was most definitely a straw donkey.
[/quote]

It wasn't full of hashish, was it? In which case you would have been a mule carrying a donkey.

...I'll get me poncho.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dean-wide-neck-Avalanche-a-7-string-neck-with-6-strings-and-48mm-nut-/190879751543?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2c7151dd77#viTabs_0"]http://www.ebay.co.u...51dd77#viTabs_0[/url] Only just discovered the work of this and I quote 'Guitar converter/improver', and had to post this link please read the description of the guitar. I nearly wet myself, whats with the seven string to six conversions? :) If you make the claims you have to take the stick if you're not what you claim to be!

Edited by Stephen Houghton

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1377696159' post='2190480']
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dean-wide-neck-Avalanche-a-7-string-neck-with-6-strings-and-48mm-nut-/190879751543?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2c7151dd77#viTabs_0"]http://www.ebay.co.u...51dd77#viTabs_0[/url] Only just discovered the work of this and I quote 'Guitar converter/improver', and had to post this link please read the description of the guitar. I nearly wet myself, whats with the seven string to six conversions? :) If you make the claims you have to take the stick if you're not what you claim to be!
[/quote]

:D Dig this bridge baby!

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1377697191' post='2190495']

[/quote]
If that doesnt deserve an almighty slagging, I dunno what does! Oh,.wait....this has already been crucified on here and on 7string forum!

MDP deserves a slagging for what he does to these guitars. And his prose is choice as well. If he stopped selling, ebay and Basschat would be less entertaining for it!

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1377695556' post='2190471']

[size=4]There seem to be a load of people slagging him off for what he does, and I'd agree that some of his ideas and descriptions seem a bit odd, but has anyone here actually bought or tried one of his creations? Has MistyFingers tried one?[/size]

So come on then- Someone own up: Who here has actually bought or tried a Mark D Phillips' guitar and can say thus categorically state that they play badly, or don't work?

If not then how can we possibly comment on them??. It just seems to me that there is a mob mentality at work here, Someone slagged this person off so let's all jump on the band wagon and take the piss out him as well.

[size=4]After all he straightens necks, he polishes frets, he adjusts bridges and nuts, which are all things that a 'luthier' would do. How well he does these things cannot be judged by photo's on E-bay (well I can't tell from pictures anyway).[/size]
[size=4]OK, he then does things like leaving holes where he's reduced the number of strings or taken pots out, which are things that a luthier [/size][size=4] (or indeed most people) [/size][size=4]probably wouldn't do.[/size]

[size=4]I am not saying that he does a good job, or a bad job. I really don't know, but does anyone here actually know, from hands on experience? If so please speak up.[/size]
[/quote]

Having started this thread, I have absolutely nothing against the guy...I actually like him, we can all smile at his enthusiastic descriptions on the "improvements" he carries out....I don't think for one second he is cynical and trying to con people...and that's hopefully what makes people on here smile....he clearly believes he is improving these guitars and he believes he is providing a great service, I imagine if he ever lost an arm his first comment would be "now I don't need to buy gloves in pairs anymore" I like a positive outlook on life and I don't think anyone on here will argue Mark D Phillips has that in spades!

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1377697191' post='2190495']
[/quote]

What are you on, fer cryin' out loud?!?!
He did state: [size=4]"[font="Arial"]My self converted bridge is a labour of love and hours of delicate work with a file, but they work like a charm and this has given perfect intonation with adjustment."[/font][/size]

[size=4][font="Arial"]So? ...[/font][/size]
;)