Why become a member? ×

Unlucky import tax on bass parts - am I stuffed?

Cat Burrito

I bought two Precision ashtray covers from the US for $24.37 which at the current exchange rate is £15.55 and got stung for over £11 in duties because it was over £15 today.

Unlucky or what?

The seller listed the items at the correct rate, the import tax was £3.24 and the Royal Mail charge an £8 handling fee for this. I had a look around and it looks like I'll have to take the hit. The seller correctly priced the customs declaration (I wouldn't ask them not to), the value is over £15 and I don't appear to have a leg to stand on. Unless anyone has any bright ideas? It's getting harder to buy stuff these days!? Even the two guys at the sorting office seemed genuinely sympathetic

And that £13 Parcelfarce handling fee is ludicruous. I recently bawled them out as the kept a set of custom pickups up at the Edinburgh depot for a week without updating their status: they were still showing as being 'held' at Coventry all the while they were languishing in the Edinburgh depot.