Why become a member? ×

Homemade Vinyl

timmo

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1376598110' post='2176747']
Johan Kugelberg. He's a complete legend in the DIY music scene.
[/quote]
He's so enthusiastic as well and has written some good stuff. I was only listening to him on the radio last month.

I used to love those 45s in their xeroxed sleeves that bands sold at their gigs in the 70s and 80s. Still have a few by Thomas Leer and Robert Rental 45s with their felt tip hand coloured in sleeves. I also still have a couple of Sun Ra Arkestra home produced vinyl LPs on their own El Saturn label from the 70s that came in plain white sleeves that were then hand coloured in by the band members!

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1376633003' post='2177009']
I was hoping that this was a thread about printing your own at home with one of them new 3d printers :(

Seriously, how good would that be?
[/quote]

[url=http://www.amandaghassaei.com/3D_printed_record.html]It's already been done[/url]. Unfortunately the audio quality is very poor because at the moment 3D printing isn't fine enough.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1376639809' post='2177084']
[url="http://www.amandaghassaei.com/3D_printed_record.html"]It's already been done[/url]. Unfortunately the audio quality is very poor because at the moment 3D printing isn't fine enough.
[/quote]
Aww great Now I've just wet myself.

Thats the most exciting thing I've heard about the 3D printer yet.....I NEEEEEED one of these now

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1376609266' post='2176943']
He's so enthusiastic as well and has written some good stuff. I was only listening to him on the radio last month.

I used to love those 45s in their xeroxed sleeves that bands sold at their gigs in the 70s and 80s. Still have a few by Thomas Leer and Robert Rental 45s with their felt tip hand coloured in sleeves. I also still have a couple of Sun Ra Arkestra home produced vinyl LPs on their own El Saturn label from the 70s that came in plain white sleeves that were then hand coloured in by the band members!
[/quote]

Blimey - I have the same ones (Leer and Rental). I also had a few Sun Ra Saturn LP's (now sold), including one which had 4 Rachmaninov piano pieces - stunning performances but not exactly what you'd expect from the label. I once helped June Tyson get her jacket on at an Arkestra gig!

[quote name='MisterFingers' timestamp='1376744394' post='2178585']
Blimey - I have the same ones (Leer and Rental). I also had a few Sun Ra Saturn LP's (now sold), including one which had 4 Rachmaninov piano pieces - stunning performances but not exactly what you'd expect from the label. I once helped June Tyson get her jacket on at an Arkestra gig!
[/quote]
You have great taste! They had some odd stuff on the Saturn label alright. The Arkestra were amazing really how they kept the same nucleus of members for decades. They must have loved playing that stuff.
I got into Sun Ra in the 70s and the holy grail was both volumes of The Heliocentric World of Sun Ra on ESP records. Not easy to obtain back then. SA few years later i bought a Stockhausen LP after reading a review that said to expect that this wouldn't be easy listening and you must be prepared to persevere with it. I listened to it and found it rather nice and jolly but then by that time i'd listened to most of Sun Ra's 60s and 70s output! :)

Similar tastes I think - I have a lot of avant-garde material in the Mr. F. archives - including about 10 Stockhausen 12"'s, as well as a whole herd of classical electronic re-issues. I think Mrs F. would rather put up with me plonking away on the amp than have to listen to Morton Subotnick - or Ornette Coleman, come to that! :lol: