Why become a member? ×

5 String Fretless Bass Necks

guitaradam

[quote name='guitaradam' timestamp='1376521764' post='2175599']
Hey all,

I'm looking at buying a Squier VM or Fender Modern Player Jazz Bass V - to turn into Fretless 5... Does anyone know anywhere other than Warmoth that I can buy a lined fretless 5 string neck from?

Cheers,

Adam
[/quote]

If your happy with a lined finger board your cheapest and easiest option is take it to a luthier and have it defretted. You'll know the neck will fit to ;)

A

Could you convert one of your existing basses?

I've just sent the neck from my Yammy BBG5 to Uncle Horrid who is putting a new ebony fingerboard on it as he advised me that the fretboard was 'too open-pored to be good for fretless' (i.e. crap).

This ought to give me an extremely useable 5 string Fretless.

For those who remember I had a Yammy TRB1005 Fretless, I found the 35" scale was throwing me, so I traded it locally (& to a board member) for a fretted TRB5.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1376547329' post='2175664']

If your happy with a lined finger board your cheapest and easiest option is take it to a luthier and have it defretted. You'll know the neck will fit to ;)

A
[/quote]+1 You can choose the wood used to fill the slots to make them more or less visible as desired too.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1376567249' post='2176098']

For those who remember I had a Yammy TRB1005 Fretless, I found the 35" scale was throwing me, so I traded it locally (& to a board member) for a fretted TRB5.

[/quote]

I saw a TRB1005 Fretless for sale on here a month or so back - not sure if could get on with the 35" scale... might be worth a shot though!

If you don't mind my asking - how much is the new 'board costing you? (feel free to PM if you'd rather)

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1376547329' post='2175664']

A
[/quote]
[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1376567604' post='2176113']
+1 You can choose the wood used to fill the slots to make them more or less visible as desired too.
[/quote]

Or you could do it yourself :) Not too difficult at all.

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1376570453' post='2176187']
Or you could do it yourself :) Not too difficult at all.
[/quote]

I could, but I am almost entirely hopeless with things like that... I'd sooner pay a bit to get someone who knows what they're doing to sort it, rather than have me cock it up!