Why become a member? ×

Frustrations of Finding a Fuzz

olliedf89

Precisely, if it sounds good to your ears, then it is good :)
The B3K goes fairly high-gain, so as a result, it will sound really saturated and will go Fuzz-like
There's another thread on here where someone is complaining it's not gainy enough.......hardcore ;)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1376917103' post='2180770']
It's a grey, often debated topic, but there's a different between Fuzz & Distortion. All Fuzz is a type of Distortion, but not vice versa.
I would argue that a B3K is an overdrive/distortion pedal as opposed to Fuzz, but it's often down to saturation. Really go crazy on gain and a lot of distortions start to sound like over-saturated fuzz, pull a fuzz pedal back to low gain, some nice low-overdrive sounds can be had.
Again, it simply comes back to trying a load and seeing what you like, the B3K is a very popular pedal with active and passive players alike.

Si
[/quote]

I agree totally Si, I always wanted a distortion and hated fuzz. I had a Boss distortion pedal and it was rotten. Just a fuzzy sound. I went for an EBM distortion pedal and that was much more like it, but then after hearing about the Ashdown Lomenzo hyper drive, I thought , I will give this a go. The beauty of the Ashdown is that you can blend the clean signal with the distorted signal and you can alter your distortion to your preference. The sound is a nice overdrive rather than fuzz, which to me, is ideal

http://youtu.be/tFfqWnybHEM

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1376925543' post='2180972']
I agree totally Si, I always wanted a distortion and hated fuzz. I had a Boss distortion pedal and it was rotten. Just a fuzzy sound. I went for an EBM distortion pedal and that was much more like it, but then after hearing about the Ashdown Lomenzo hyper drive, I thought , I will give this a go. The beauty of the Ashdown is that you can blend the clean signal with the distorted signal and you can alter your distortion to your preference. The sound is a nice overdrive rather than fuzz, which to me, is ideal
[/quote]

That Ashdown OD sounds wicked, I'm already aiming to get the Barber Half Gainer (when I get the dollar) to help add some basic grit to my sound. Aside from that the B3K looks to be one of my favourites (I wont lie, I've wanted an excuse to get one for ages hehe) :lol:

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1376924712' post='2180950']
OR I could do you a little buffer to sit on your board to drop the impedance before your signal enters the fuzz...
[/quote]

...ooh... enlighten me further? I'm not quite sure it's what I need right now, but it sounds like something I might want in the near future should things get a bit... busier! B)

certainly, it's a 9v OPAMP buffer (so it'll use the same supply as your board) and has an inout socket and an output socket. That's it really. Aside from lowering the output impedance so that active basses play better with older FX. I use one in front of my OC2 clone just because it seemed easier than trying to mod the OC2 board to accept a higher impedance input...

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1376935435' post='2181197']
certainly, it's a 9v OPAMP buffer (so it'll use the same supply as your board) and has an inout socket and an output socket. That's it really. Aside from lowering the output impedance so that active basses play better with older FX. I use one in front of my OC2 clone just because it seemed easier than trying to mod the OC2 board to accept a higher impedance input...
[/quote]

That sounds really useful. Can't say I definitely need one right now though, as things are just getting off the ground, but if they get more serious (and I manage to calm my pedal obsession and free some space) I'll absolutely be interested. Thanks man!

The B3K does do a kind of fuzz sound. Not exactly. And again, you have to have a passive bass with the tone knob set to all the way rolled off and the B3K set to full gain. You cant win haha... This is a thorough review of the IE Oxide Fuzz, which I have just bought. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTpEfFwRgRQ[/media] at 5:10 the chap starts comparing active/passive with his Big Al bass (which I also have...) Passive is the winner in terms of getting the harsh fuzz but active on the Oxide works fine too. But the Oxide's fuzz is not everyones cup of tea.

Edited by Ruck

You cant go to far wrong with an old 70's mxr/ maxon made fuzz,manufactured in Japan with brand names of Grant,Coron,Memphis,storm,electra,locobox and others,all look and sound the same really.Great for bass,I have Grant distortion 15 but its definately a fuzz!,works well with both passive and active. Simple layout,just volume and drive,they get filthy too and dont loose bottom end. Snap em up as their coming collectible,think I paid 50 quid for mine a couple of years ago!

Edited by mikhay77

[email="I@m"]I'm[/email] currently building a Meathead Dark Fuzz for Bass, from what I hear it's pretty killer! There are plenty of clones about, the Gojira Meatboy can be had for not much money at all, worth a look for a super simple hi-gain Fuzz :)

Si

[quote name='mikhay77' timestamp='1377530438' post='2188516'] You cant go to far wrong with an old 70's mxr/ maxon made fuzz,manufactured in Japan with brand names of Grant,Coron,Memphis,storm,electra,locobox and others,all look and sound the same really.Great for bass,I have Grant distortion 15 but its definately a fuzz!,works well with both passive and active. Simple layout,just volume and drive,they get filthy too and dont loose bottom end. Snap em up as their coming collectible,think I paid 50 quid for mine a couple of years ago! [/quote]

Ooh.. thanks I'll have a look around!

Cheers Si, my list of pedals to check out seems to be ever-growing. And that's before I return to this thread, hah!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally pulled the trigger on a Zvex Mastotron from GuitarGuitar UK, and I love the sound, but there is a massive volume drop!
Also looks like Guitar Guitar have given me a store demo pedal as its got dust between the knobs, a dent in it and had the packaging opened on the inside!
Not impressed!!
I love the sound of it, lets just see if it cuts through live!

Edited by olliedf89

Theres two fuzz boxes that are fantastic in my opinion:

Firstly the Maleko B:assmaster - which can go from smooth to full on gritty rasp or dial in some saturation and boost in between. No bottom end loss at all, blend, responsive to your actual playing, works well anywhere in your signal chain.

Secondly - The Blackout Effectors Fix'd Fuzz - I had a great clone that I moved on which I really regret, has a boost and two channels of fuzz with filters that means you can balance bottom end perfectly with high mid range, its so versatile, really had the scope to go from harsh powerful grit to thick saturated dense growl.

Definitely look into both of these as I use an Ibenez ECD710. Tell us what you get and how it is for you.

Thanks for the offers and ideas guys, I'm quite happy with my Mastotron now I've got it though, (retailer's inflicted issues aside) It's doing the job great.
I'd love to be able to try these pedals out before hand but it's not always possible without firing off 100 squids!

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1378399317' post='2199757']
That's not right. Along with it's other issues, I'd ask for a replacement.
[/quote]

I'm gonna email Guitar Guitar now and see what they say. It sounds great but it takes full volume to get to unity gain and even then it's not quite there, not drastic but I know once I play live it will be noticeable. The sound seems to keep changing as well. One minute the settings sound great the next time I come back to it I'll notice it's clipping a bit.

Just my luck with fuzzeses!!

[quote name='BigBassBob' timestamp='1378422693' post='2200263']
Bear in mind that fuzz doesn't work well with tweeters/horns. Not to say you can't use fuzz with horns but in my experience the best fuzz sounds I've gotten are from cabs without them.
[/quote]

I certainly agree that fuzzes can sound [i]entirely [/i]different depending on what cab you put them through. I'v not tried a fuzz through my PJB Six Pak yet and i have a Cog Custom being built, so i am excited to see what the 5" speakers do!