Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

software updates ..

Some of you have seen the problems I have been having with my mac osx update.
Since installing the next version up, my line 6 interface(podfarm), now refuses to work!
Does this mean that I have to shell out $99 for an upgrade? I'm sure some of you have had similar problems .
Really frustrating! Maybe better off waving goodbye to the podfarm?

Rant over

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1376149618' post='2170273']
I stopped taking OSX updates when they started dropping features required for my 2- or 3-year-old peripherals. Very bad form. They also broke my version of ProTools with 10.7, so I'm sticking with 10.7 because I don't want anything else to stop working. :(
[/quote]

Does that mean, you had to buy new pro tools? BTW , I am now on 10.6.8 from 10.5.8. So annoying

I have recently been left on the mac scrap heap. It's only natural I guess but I can't justify the outlay on new laptops and a desktop so I can run new software.
I couldn't upgrade to Mountain Lion as my Macs were about 4-5 yrs old and subsequently I can't upgrade to the new Logic Pro as I can't run Mountain Lion.
Boom. It feels like I am running OS9 :-(
As for any new computers not have optical drives- don't even get me started on that one :-)

Edited by chardbass

Well,I was happy with leopard. When I got my iPhone 5 that's where the fun started.
The genius in the apple store never mentioned snow leopard.
Thankfully, my friend burned me a copy. So far, GarageBand works . Haven't tried logic express9 yet.
I assume I have to pay line 6 for a pod farm upgrade. Nothing is clear as usual .

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1376149618' post='2170273']
I stopped taking OSX updates when they started dropping features required for my 2- or 3-year-old peripherals. Very bad form. They also broke my version of ProTools with 10.7, so I'm sticking with 10.7 because I don't want anything else to stop working. :(
[/quote]

TBF, Apple give software developers plenty of warning when System APIs will be deprecated and it's up to the peripherals manufacturers to keep their drivers up to date.

ProTools has been highly sensitive to system updates as long as I can remember (I'm going back to the mid 90s here).

Possible (probable) Podfarm upgrade ahoy. I too am left on the apple scrap heap, OS wise. My MBP can not go past Snow leopard. I put the hard disk where the DVD drive used to sit and put one of those solid state drives in. Like having a new machine in terms of response times. 14 sec startup time, was 11 when first installed though. Not too shabby.
I read about a professional photographic printer who has to keep a machine with snow leopard on it as his printing setup won't work with mountain lion and later. Snow leopard caused him headaches at the start as well.

Edited by Ticktock

Well. bizarrely enough, I found a way around the podfarm issue. I went to my account. From there, I had to download a new version of my license. I restarted and dug out the version 2 from the hard drive that I downloaded yesterday.Now I have the nice and tidy version of podfarm.Bear in mind that, the version 2 would not open yesterday.

One other thing, I looked on google for various problems, and it seems that although snow leopard was a bit problematic for many at first,it is apparently the last 'good version' of osx. Not many people like lions , it seems. Cheers

Just a thought, but Rosetta wasn't included as a default application with Snow Leopard. If you have any software that was written for PowerPC machines you'll need Rosetta to allow the software to run. There's an option to install it on the OS disk, or you can get it via the software upgrade.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1376219052' post='2170835']
One other thing, I looked on google for various problems, and it seems that although snow leopard was a bit problematic for many at first,it is apparently the last 'good version' of osx. Not many people like lions , it seems. Cheers
[/quote]

Lion (and Mountain Lion) is fine so long as you check that all the your hardware and software is supported.

I used to record on my MacBook Pro (technically, it's my work's laptop but we have a very liberal IT policy and I could use it for personal use too) with GarageBand. Then an update to OSX 10.6 and one for GarageBand prevented GB from recording through my Guitar Rig Session. Reaper worked fine with my interface but Apple's own software on their own OS stopped working.

So I moved it all over to my PC and now use Reaper exclusively on the PC. Not a single problem and as my PC is a gaming PC with an SSD in there it runs very quickly indeed.

This happens all too often on the Mac - nice hardware, sh*t software. Windows 7 all the way for me now.