Why become a member? ×

Aguilar db750 vs EBS Fafner

Denzel

[quote name='Denzel' timestamp='1376332131' post='2172328']

Regarding the 810 is there really that much difference between 2x410 and 810 in terms of performance? 810 is such a big cab to lug!
[/quote]

Probably not..if internal dims are the same. I haven't looked into that aspect too deeply.
I recall the DB410 is about 98lbs each which is a big lump so the 810....???

For me, it is all about how much I will pay for a cab I'll use a handful of times a year..

Will have to find one for sale and then I'll know ........ha ha

[quote name='Denzel' timestamp='1376332131' post='2172328']

I'd have to hear one before buying. Nv610 that is. Never played through a sealed cab before. Obviously you loose some perceived volume compared to a reflex design, like the old ampeg fridge.
[/quote]
I would recommend trying a nv610 before buying - never got on with the one i owned, tbh. Didn't realised I liked tweeters so much until I got that cab.
The db410 on the other hand, I consider to be a real gem - bit of a vintage feel to it though with clear highs, in my view. Perfect match for the DB750/751. In fact sounded great with my Tecamp Puma too

[quote name='Dread Bass' timestamp='1376333161' post='2172359']
Cant really help with the amps but i used to use an EBS classic 410 and replaced it with a Aguilar GS410 and the difference was unbelievable.
[/quote]
Don't worry about the amp mate. All sorted. A Db750 has been purchased!

I've not heard great things about the classic line from ebs. Build quality possibly not up to much. The ebs cabs loaded with 10s are pretty low end shy rolling off at 70hz or so. The aggie 10 loaded cabs go down to 40hz. That's going to make a big difference for starters. Def going to check the Aguilar cabs out . . . All of them!

I'm glad to be stepping back from ebs and trying something new.

Edited by Denzel

[quote name='Denzel' timestamp='1376341711' post='2172599']

Don't worry about the amp mate. All sorted. A Db750 has been purchased!

I've not heard great things about the classic line from ebs. Build quality possibly not up to much. The ebs cabs loaded with 10s are pretty low end shy rolling off at 70hz or so. The aggie 10 loaded cabs go down to 40hz. That's going to make a big difference for starters. Def going to check the Aguilar cabs out . . . All of them!

I'm glad to be stepping back from EBS and trying something new. EBS make awesome kit in my opinion, I'm just feeling like a change and think Aguilar will suit my needs better.

[/quote]

Platypus,

I'd like to try out the NV line but I suspect much like yourself I will miss the high end response especially after playing EBS non adjustable tweeters for so long! Think I will want extended range down low as well that only a reflex can provide.

DB cabs really do look good. I'm sure they sound even better! Heard a Badu concert online where the bassist was playing through a db750 with 2x gs410. Killer tone. Very nice balance from top to bottom. Much of that comes from the very talented player obviously but the sonic signature is certainly there. Yet to get a clear idea of how the db cabs differ. More mid bumped? Not sure that will work with the Warwick mid presence.

In my opinion the DB750 pairs really well with the Bergantino NV series cabs.
I used to have a NV610 and it was a match made in heaven, the weight of notes of the DB750 with the mid punch of the NV610 made for an amazing tone!
I sold this 610 and bought a DB410, nice tone but nowhere near the tone I was getting with the NV610, I didn't like the voicing of the DB cab at all and it was a very heavy, heavy cab!
Now I'm back with Bergantino, this time a NV412, and I don't think it can't get any better than this, nice mid punch but with more bottom end and bit more top than the NV610.

Edited by PauBass

Paubass,

Must admit the NV range have caught my attention for an audition but they are pretty big lumps. With the recent release of the 115 I hope they bring out an NV 310 and NV 212 to lighten the load and offer more flexibility.

Lugging big cabs to and from the van is not a problem. It's stairs that are a PITA!

Looking forward to testing the berg cabs and hearing how they sound next to the Aguilars for myself. Good to read other user's input as well though. Obviously lots of us are playing very different styles to each other, different basses, different techniques, different tone goals. Hard to know what suits one player will suit another without knowing which ball park each of us are playing in.

[quote name='Dread Bass' timestamp='1376333161' post='2172359']
Cant really help with the amps but i used to use an EBS classic 410 and replaced it with a Aguilar GS410 and the difference was unbelievable.
[/quote]

I'm not surprised.

That's not really a fair comparison - that's EBS budget range of cabs. A more fair comparison in this instance would be against the EBS Proline 410.

This is why I am against budget lines as such...certainly if you have painstakingly built a name of premium products.

I can understand why the accountants do it... but then it is hardly the same company then...is it..?
The only time this seems to happen is when the founder sells out to a corporate company..??
and it is a good thing..??

SWR=Fender..??
Fender=CBS
MM=EB..????

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1376417714' post='2173702']In my opinion the DB750 pairs really well with the Bergantino NV series cabs.[/quote]

That was the best rig I ever had. DB750 and NV610 was pure awe. I'm always searching for that tone and that volume since.

Toasted!

Bet your neighbours loved you with that rig pounding. Haha.

You a rock player? Just trying to get a feel for why you chose this set up and how you found it (apart from the swearing while lugging it about!)

I'm sure the NV 610 plays very evenly top to bottom being a sealed cab. How'd it handle boosting the low end on the 750. Did you feel it lacking low end compared to ported?

I think with my Stage II I'm going to be looking for a cab solution that is not mid forward and has full bass response to 40hz.

Lovely looking cabs those bergs. Thanks for the pic.

The thing that put me off the NV610 was the percieved lack of a horn... and I was desperate for a 610. still am in a way but might cover it with a 410 and 210
as impedance isn't the issue with a 750/751..

I certainly wouldn't worry about the bottom end ...that rig should be punch city.
I think it is a fallacy about bottom-end, tbh..sure you want depth there, but you don't want
BASS.... as the places you use these things on, don't need bass all over the mix that you can't shrub off.

It wouldn' be light in sound though, for sure. :lol: :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

A little update.

Just put my order in at Barefaced for a 69er to rest my db750 on!

Glad to be supporting a UK business and the cab just ticks a lot of boxes for me after researching many others.

Only a couple of weeks to wait as it was already on the production line all lonely without an owner.

Looking forward to testing this beast out!.

Should be ok depth wise. The head is about an inch deeper than the cab without a rack case. If it does prove a tipping hazard I'll make up a rack trolley to set aside the cab. It will be a suck it and see but most of the current owners of 69ers have their half ton all-valve heads resting comfortably on the cab so should be ok.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1378153040' post='2196437']
I can confirm a recently purchased DB212 paired with a DB750 is really making me rethink my cab options.

Cheers Barrie, the 212 is working great.
[/quote]

Which 6x10 do you have JTUK? Dissatisfied with it now? What made you go cab hunting again?

No, I haven't found a 610, but I have 2x DB210's and a DB212.
I can run them all together, but haven't been on a stage where I can do that yet....
The DB212 is great all round....carries the lows very well, and has enough bite up top on
normal stages. Once that real spike.. goes missing...but I put that down to the nuance of the stage.
It was a bit enclosed and maybe the rig couldn't breathe properly..and that is where I missed the 10's...

I did plan to run DB212 and DB210 but that is 8ohms each and I feel 750/4 ohms is a bit unbalanced towards the 210.
I am liking the DD212 so much so far...that the DB210's might become surplus..

If the DB212 was 4ohms...then I'd run that and a 8ohms DB210, hoping the balance and power would be to the 212..and the enhance higher end would go to
But to use a 210, I'd have to use both...and I can't or don't go for that over the simple DB212.
Hence why I am thinking I don't actually need the 210's now....??
If I add one..I don't get any more power, but sometimes I hear the 210 struggle... a tad..????

As with all these things..the compromise comes with what I can carry and what I need to carry... and the 210's are another cab to carry about
with no real gains.

The sound is right there for me now...so I have just OD'd on too many cabs and not being able to use them. That is the rethink.

I could carry 2xDB210's ...or just the DB212.... they both sound great...monster great, IMO... but do I need them all..???

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1378233251' post='2197503']

I could carry 2xDB210's ...or just the DB212.... they both sound great...monster great, IMO... but do I need them all..???
[/quote]

I think there is advantage to your 212 being 8 ohm. You can crank the amp that bit more over the 4ohm option. Also you can simply add another 8ohm 212 if this gig required it. You may even find having that second 212 nearer your ears will bring more perceived top end that you are trying to obtain with the mismatch 210. Just a thought.

Edited by Denzel

The amp goes down to 2... and I have never nad a problem with hearing myself that I need cabs up to my ears, tbh.
I don't have a gig that requires 2xDB212 either so probably will not go down that route.

I will keep the modular cabs so I can mix and play around with them, but atm, the DB212 is enough.
If my strings went off, I might lose a bit that I feel I need, but I haven't so far.

No desperate for a solution atm, and the driver may well be storage space rather than anything else..

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1376088636' post='2169733']
Should also add that the 750 (or 751) partners the DB410 or GS410 really, really well.

In fact the best live bass sound I've ever heard was a DB750 through a pair of GS410's as used by Paul Turner :)
[/quote]

YES! I agree, i saw Paul Turner with Jamiriquai and the sound was incredible! So I'm also gonna vote Aguilar. I thought he would have used a DB410 with his 750 but he used a GS410. i was surprised, but not shocked as both sets of cabs are amazing!

I have a DB410 for sale as well.........just thought I'd kinda put that out there hahahaha! :D

[quote name='GriffJamerson' timestamp='1378376311' post='2199256']

YES! I agree, i saw Paul Turner with Jamiriquai and the sound was incredible! So I'm also gonna vote Aguilar. I thought he would have used a DB410 with his 750 but he used a GS410. i was surprised, but not shocked as both sets of cabs are amazing!

I have a DB410 for sale as well.........just thought I'd kinda put that out there hahahaha! :D
[/quote]

Pretty sure Paul has owned just about every configuration of 10" and 12" cab Aguilar make at some point or another :)

Interestingly he settled on the GS 410's for big gigs but the DB112's for smaller club type gigs. He's now moved to a multi-amp, multi cab lightweight option and has a TH500', TH350 and 3 or 4 SL112's (often all being used at the same time!).

I love the DB410 cabs, they sound great with the TH500 heads as well - in fact I was using one just yesterday :)