Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Time slaves

Faithless

So, as I've already 'insulted' somewhere here not that long ago, gotta do, and do WELL, 25 songs over a week.

Dunno, if it's 'hell a lot' or little, but I've spotted that there is no more time for a different type of bassin', i mean, learning some Real material, exercises and stuff, only staring at the monitor with Guitar Pro and Audioretoucher turned on, listening/checking notes, and trying to memorise the whole sh1t.. Thank God, it's only for a few days...

There are some easy ones (I'm starting to 'like' Def Leppard :) ), and a few tougher ones - Bon Jovi's - Living on A Prayer, Whitesnake's - Too Many Tears and so on...

And got to say, learning and learning and learning cover stuff day after day p1sses off a bit..

So, have ya ever faced 'time slave' thing, boys and girls?

Just fancy, how good/bad my situation is compared to others...

Approximately 17/25 done...

Edited by Faithless

For project managers like myself, this is the total sum of the working day. Project delivery dates get broken down into stages, stages get broken down into milestones, milestones get broken down into progress reports and each week meetings set out the achieveable for Friday. Each day should have its own set of tasks to be completed.

Very soon you lose your will to live under the never ending onslaught of deadlines. :) Unless you can find some personal challenge in there somewhere. I've managed to make even the most mundane tasks like specification writing and fee bid proposals have some aspect of interest.

yeah i sometimes find it hard to find the time for learning songs. its not something i've really bothered with much before as always done original stuff, but having to learn 'x' amount of songs per week can be a pain and because you 'have' to do it becomes a chore sometimes. I tend to break it down into chunks... give them a rough listen/run through one night and then tighten up on any specific runs etc later.

The most annoying thing is when you make the time and take the trouble to learn songs only to turn up at the rehearsal to find one member of the band hasn't bothered at all. Usual excuse being 'i didn't have the time' - Tough! I didn't have the time either, but you have to MAKE time. grrrrr...annoys me it does!!!!

peace

c

[quote name='3V17C' post='217400' date='Jun 12 2008, 09:29 AM']The most annoying thing is when you make the time and take the trouble to learn songs only to turn up at the rehearsal to find one member of the band hasn't bothered at all. Usual excuse being 'i didn't have the time' - Tough! I didn't have the time either, but you have to MAKE time. grrrrr...annoys me it does!!!!

peace

c[/quote]

There's always one! It's the drummer in my case....next gig, I'm going to secretly unplug his fan so he sweats and feels like he's done some work! :brow:

[quote name='Faithless' post='217290' date='Jun 11 2008, 11:41 PM']There are some easy ones (I'm starting to 'like' Def Leppard :huh: ), and a few tougher ones - Bon Jovi's - Living on A Prayer, Whitesnake's - Too Many Tears and so on...[/quote]

What Def Lep do you have to do? Generally you'll play three (or maybe five) notes - E A D G or C :huh:

Living on a Prayer is easy, but then again I've been playing it week-in week-out for 5 years :)

When we started our function band we all gave ourselves 3 months to learn 40 songs individually then bring them together as a band. It worked, 3 months with 40 songs is easy. 1 week with 25 isn't quite the same!

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='217294' date='Jun 11 2008, 11:49 PM']For project managers like myself, this is the total sum of the working day. Project delivery dates get broken down into stages, stages get broken down into milestones, milestones get broken down into progress reports and each week meetings set out the achieveable for Friday. Each day should have its own set of tasks to be completed.

Very soon you lose your will to live under the never ending onslaught of deadlines. :huh: Unless you can find some personal challenge in there somewhere. I've managed to make even the most mundane tasks like specification writing and fee bid proposals have some aspect of interest.[/quote]

That pretty accurately describes my professional life too. :)

Fortunately I have my musical life outside of work, which enables me to put things in perspective and find a justification to it all. When financial necessity forces you into a 9-5, learning songs through reptition becomes far more appealing.

[quote name='Merton' post='217408' date='Jun 12 2008, 11:39 AM']What Def Lep do you have to do? Generally you'll play three (or maybe five) notes - E A D G or C :huh:

Living on a Prayer is easy, but then again I've been playing it week-in week-out for 5 years :)[/quote]

Hmm, Lep's songs are Hysteria and Pour Some Sugar With Me..

Yeah, they're easy song's, but Bon Jovi's song, compared to whole list is a bit bigger one there, hehe. Well, we got Faith No More's - Easy (heard a few fast bass licks there) and WhiteSnake's one - those should be the most serious of all left - Korn, U2, The Rasmus, other stuff...

[quote name='Faithless' post='217575' date='Jun 12 2008, 01:18 PM']Hmm, Lep's songs are Hysteria[/quote]
See! E, C, D and G :) (and the occasional B to invert the G chord...)
[quote]and Pour Some Sugar With Me..[/quote]
Bottom C# mostly!

:huh:

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='217294' date='Jun 11 2008, 11:49 PM']For project managers like myself, this is the total sum of the working day. Project delivery dates get broken down into stages, stages get broken down into milestones, milestones get broken down into progress reports and each week meetings set out the achieveable for Friday. Each day should have its own set of tasks to be completed.

Very soon you lose your will to live under the never ending onslaught of deadlines. :) Unless you can find some personal challenge in there somewhere. I've managed to make even the most mundane tasks like specification writing and fee bid proposals have some aspect of interest.[/quote]

I wonder how many bassists are Project Managers or vice versa as I'm one too? I also find quite a few working in local Government like me.