Why become a member? ×

It's coming you know :-)

As most of you know I started on the Stagg around Christmas last year and bought a Gedo half carved a few months later, I really need some structured lessons but the more I practice from various books the better I am getting (bit of the Rufus Reid book and some from a bass guitar scales book where I am ignoring the fingering and positions and adapting them with DB half/first position instead). I dont think I will challenging Bilbo for a bass off yet but it sounds like music and I get annoyed with my intonation as my ears are improving, I can also play in tune (ish) while reading which strangely on elec bass I always play the whole gig looking at the neck! Like I said I still need to get on some proper lessons but my little challenge of learning a couple of the etudes from a book for half an hour to an hour most nights is paying off, my reading is improving too as I have only been reading for about two years or so.

That is all really :D

At the end of the worst gig I've ever done on DB (crap timing, crap intonation, crap tone*), a guy came up to me and said I was the bassist he'd been looking for for his new Jazz Trio. Make of that what you will, but don't get too hung up on technicalities. EB and DB are very different beasts and audiences have totally different expectations of them
C

*Reminds me of the old Richie Benuad quote "There's only three things wrong with English cricket, they can't bat, they can't bowl, and they can't field"

I have been gigging the Stagg using the dots and a bad technique adapted from eb but I have noticed that I am starting to use a more correct style the more I play db at home. I have a pub gig coming up that our drummer can't do where we have decided to do an unplugged version of our set plus the singer and guitarist have been an acoustic duo for ages anyway, I might take the db for its maiden live gig!

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1375905143' post='2167319']
*Reminds me of the old Richie Benuad quote "There's only three things wrong with English cricket, they can't bat, they can't bowl, and they can't field"
[/quote]

He said of his mother, "She improved my love of vegetables by introducing the phrase, 'You can't go out and play cricket until you have eaten all your vegetables."
Wise words from Richie

Take heart mate, even my wife has said im getting better after just a few months of learning.
although i am far from any form of performance

Gig it A.S.A.P.
There's nothing to motivate you to improve more than making a pigs ear of it in front of an audience. The panic sets in and your face starts to burn because you just know that everyone in the room is looking at you. The fact is that nobody really noticed but it sure makes you commit to practicing more.

I've already done several gigs with mine and we have a big one at The Eden Project at the start of October, 1 1/2hr set with the double bass and 2hr set with the electric bass, achey arm time me thinks :D.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1375911329' post='2167452']
That's the thing with db, everyone will watch! All those years as the anonymous bassist are over even with the stagg so I know they will love the db. That's some long set btw.
[/quote]

We've done a couple of open mic nights to get some interest going in a different area and I usually leave the bass in the van until we go on as it's just in the way, but when you have to make your way through a crowd with a DB above your head it kinda draws attention :D , I actually got a cheer from the crowd at one venue as I went in, hold on folks you haven't heard me yet :lol: . The open mic nights are working for getting gigs though.
That long set is with two different bands, but it's still a long evening, can't wait.
Go for the acoustic gig, you'll be amazed at the response. I've been gigging for years with big electric rock bands but I'm blown away at the response we're getting with the acoustic band, people just love something that's a break from the norm.
Go for it and let us all know how it went :) .

The double bass does something special to people watching it being played. Somehow it seems to have a 'cool' factor and 'happy' factor that just help building a really positive vibe.
I have done many many gigs and so far the response has always been brilliant. Apart maybe from some uppity jazz gig where the audience remains 'intellectually grumpy' throughout. My favourite have been family friendly gigs or workshops in school. The big bass just fascinates the wee children visually and as soon as you play a grove it makes them bop and dance, which is just fantastic to see. Aye Pete, relax and you will love gigging the double bass!

Played my first gig for a while on DB last night, the last few months have been familiar songs on electric bass, I always feel fairly relaxed beforehand. But last night I don't mind admitting, I was bricking it. All the way through the first set of mostly unfamiliar songs I was all too aware of my bad intonation and lousy technique, nothing like when I practise, it felt like I was throwing fingers blindly at where the notes were. And of course the whole audience knew and were staring at me. I loosened up a bit for the second set after some kind words from some of the punters. All in all it was a great gig and I feel like I got over a bit of a bump and ended up really having a good time. And, I was asked for my number, for some possible recording. Never as bed as you imagine :)

Take it to the gig , there is nothing like going outside your comfort zone. I have an "second " audition for a group on Saturday for an acoustic country / rockabilly band made up of professional musicians ( one of whom teaches double bass !) who want me to play slap bass.

So thats me playing a musical genre I'm not that familar with , using a technique I've never been taught on an instrument I've had for 5 months in front of people who do it for a living - What can possibly go wrong :lol: :lol: :lol: !
If I can do that then you can at least play a set on db with material you know !

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1376045437' post='2168932']
Take it to the gig , there is nothing like going outside your comfort zone. I have an "second " audition for a group on Saturday for an acoustic country / rockabilly band made up of professional musicians ( one of whom teaches double bass !) who want me to play slap bass.

So thats me playing a musical genre I'm not that familar with , using a technique I've never been taught on an instrument I've had for 5 months in front of people who do it for a living - What can possibly go wrong :lol: :lol: :lol: !
If I can do that then you can at least play a set on db with material you know !
[/quote]
That sounds crazy! good luck :)

Took the DB instead of the EUB to practice last night and my feedback troubles were pretty much just the same, the best thing about the Fishman pro was when I used the foam to block the F holes! I really need to sort that out but I might still gig it at the acoustic gig as I am hoping to get enough volume for that but trying to play while the others are building a shed with road drills is not going to work :(

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1376065328' post='2169297']
That sounds crazy! good luck :)

Took the DB instead of the EUB to practice last night and my feedback troubles were pretty much just the same, the best thing about the Fishman pro was when I used the foam to block the F holes! I really need to sort that out but I might still gig it at the acoustic gig as I am hoping to get enough volume for that but trying to play while the others are building a shed with road drills is not going to work :(
[/quote]

You may have mentioned this in another thread, but did you use the Fishman to experiment with the resonating frequencies of the bass?

You put the speaker full on behind the bass, make the bass feed back, then try to dial out the feedback with the phase reversal and/or the notch filter.

Worked a treat for me. Once I'd found the most problematic frequency I just left the settings at that, and it pretty well solved the prob. I only raise the speaker up on a stand now when space is so tight I only have a couple of feet behind me. Any more distance and I'm fine.

If this doesn't work, I'd dump the bassmax.