E_MaN

Don't know if these count not being a major afficianado but I enjoy playing:

A message to you Rudy (Specials)
On my Radio (Selector)
One step beyond (Madness)
Mirror in the bathroom (The Beat)
Kingston Town (UB40)

Bit predictable.....................sorry

[quote name='E_MaN' post='217131' date='Jun 11 2008, 07:35 PM']I've always loved ska but I don't play any really at all. So any recommendations on good songs and bass lines would be great, and maybe a few of your own favourites![/quote]

I'm in a Ska/Punk band

Some of my fave Ska basslines are

Rancid - Old Friend (quite dirty ska)

Less Than Jake - Johnny Quest thinks We're Sellouts

The Plan - Something Better ( This is mine but its my favorite that i have written)

Oh i forgot Propaghandi - Ska Sucks (simple but effective)

I may upload it later.

one ska influenced band i love are Sublime, Santeria, Badfish and Wrong way are tracks i love playing, nice baselines in a lot of their stuff. For early stuff and a good foundation Reggae bass by Ed Friedland ( published by Hal Leonard, ISBN 0-7935-7994-5) is well worth buying. Some Madness stuff is also fun to play.

I will have a hunt for the guitar pro files if you need them.

Edited by steve-norris

[quote name='steve-norris' post='217150' date='Jun 11 2008, 07:57 PM']one ska influenced band i love are Sublime, Santeria, Badfish and Wrong way are tracks i love playing, nice baselines in a lot of their stuff. For early stuff and a good foundation Reggae bass by Ed Friedland ( published by Hal Leonard, ISBN 0-7935-7994-5) is well worth buying. Some Madness stuff is also fun to play.

I will have a hunt for the guitar pro files if you need them.[/quote]

My complaint about that book is he should have put the drum score in (like in 'Bass Grooves'), otherwise good.

These are all great fun to play. Couple of repeats here but worth repeating:

Specials - Monkey Man (more reliant on the bass than Toots & The Maytals' original)
Specials - Ghost Town
Specials - Too Much, Too Young
Specials - Nite Klub
Madness - House of Fun
Fishbone - Lying Ass Bitch
Fishbone - Ma and Pa
Fishbone - Unyielding Condition
Sublime - Doin' Time (ska George Gershwin!)
Operation Ivy - Bombshell
Rancid - Time Bomb

Edited by thisnameistaken

Ska's not really my cuppa tea these days (although I was seen stage diving at a ska covers gig the other week) but when I was into it I really loved the bass line to Can't Get Used To Losing You by The Beat. It's all roots and thirds type stuff but it hits the spot.

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='217321' date='Jun 12 2008, 12:51 AM']You guys are way off.

Desmond Dekker
Poineers
Pyramids (symarip)
Dave and Ansell Collins
Jimmy Cliff
Harry J and the Allstars
Maytals

Thats Ska![/quote]

Actually those people are mostly well known for their reggae rather than ska.
Ska generally has a walking bass line (on a doghouse in the early days) Reggae has a lot more space in the bass.

Ska is a pretty broad term. Ska, technially, is Jamacan folk music. Reggae is derived from Ska. Through the years there have been different "waves" of ska, each with a different sound. A lot of people now deride it because they associate ska with the baggy trousered, whacky 3rd wave which sort of encapsulated bands like Less Than Jake, Reel Big Fish etc. Rancid I would term a punk band that encorporate ska elements.

A lot of older music that is mistaken for ska is actually rocksteady. Ska is faster with the bass usually walking 4 notes per bar, rocksteady is somewhat slower with the bass playing syncopated 8th note based patterns, reggae much slower. Jackie Jackson was the bassist first noted for 'doubling up' (playing 8ths, not 1/4s and thus forcing the music to be slowed down).

Wikipedia is quite accurate on all this kind of stuff: [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ska"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ska[/url]

Your average man on the street would identify ska as uptempo music with the guitar on the offbeat and thus we in my band claim we're BritSkunk (Anglo Ska Funk) because of this key feature, even if little else is authentic.

Alex

Don't think anyone's mentioned 'Gangsters' by the Specials which is a great bassline to play. Ditto 'Too Much Too Young'. We gig both and people love them.

Didn't play any ska until got into my present band - now I love playing it. It always gets blokes dancing.

Edited by stingrayfan