Why become a member? ×

Exactly what OLP Musicman is this?

dalehernando

HI Guys,

I was just walking past a shop down my road that sell all kinds of bits and pieces (old guitar, comics, etc) and this was outside. It was very very cheap. I tried it out and gave it the once over, it needs a little set up and a new set of strings over than that it's pretty much mint condition. Lovely finish.

There's no serial or anything like that so I just wondered how I could find out exactly what the model is? There's a few on eBay and they are going for A LOT more than what I paid for this.

[attachment=140881:Photo 06-08-2013 13 02 50.jpg]
[attachment=140882:Photo 06-08-2013 13 03 21.jpg]
[attachment=140883:Photo 06-08-2013 13 03 31.jpg]

Thanks for any help!

Cheers

I don't think the OLPs had serial numbers / model designations as such, they were just low-cost Korean-made takes on the Stingray with various finishes, 4 or 5 strings and active or passive EQ as specced. Looks like they go for £100-150 on eBay, depending on spec and condition - if the one you've found is cheaper than that go for it!

[quote name='Ian Savage' timestamp='1375793958' post='2165652']
I don't think the OLPs had serial numbers / model designations as such, they were just low-cost Korean-made takes on the Stingray with various finishes, 4 or 5 strings and active or passive EQ as specced. Looks like they go for £100-150 on eBay, depending on spec and condition - if the one you've found is cheaper than that go for it!
[/quote]

Yep I went for it and it was a lot cheaper than £100, I have cleaned it up and lowered the saddles (they were fully up) and sorted the scratch plate out. I bought it to sell it on, but having played it for the last hour or so I'm really liking it!

[quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1375819749' post='2166207']

OLP stands for 'Officially Licensed Product' ;)
[/quote]

correct....but that is THE companys name.....offshoot of hansor music company....bc rich, traben etc...

http://hansermusicgroup.com/

Edited by iconic

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1375818635' post='2166183']
Ive only just learnt that OLP were a company in their own right....they made budget copies of other musical instruments.
[/quote]

Hmm...I've always thought that they were officially licensed by EB/MM to build thier budget 'Stingrays'

This is mine, made in China, and as far as I'm aware it's one of the early ones, but I can't find a serial number or date anywhere, having said that I've not took it apart. Set up was done by Manson's in Exeter, it's really effortless to play.
[attachment=141369:OLP Stingray 1 - Copy.jpg]

Edited by pst62

[quote name='hernandoitwt' timestamp='1376156897' post='2170387']
Cheers for all the replies guys, it's a nice bass but looking at the finances I think I will be moving it on after all.
[/quote]

Chap over here looking for a good, cheap bass: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/497/a-good-low-cost-bass#latest