Why become a member? ×

Am I asking too much of my combo amp?

bonzodog

As much as I would like a new bass amp, finances allude me at the moment and I am currently using a Crate 220W combo (1 x 15).

At low volume in the house it sounds fine, but I have recently started taking it to rehearsals rather than use the in house bass amp so I can play with the sound as I need to use it for a few up and coming gigs.
With the gain at around half way and the master volume at the same, with a flat EQ, I am getting distortion. We do not rehearse particularly loud (Drums, Bass, Guitar and 2 vocals), but if I play any quieter I am struggling to be heard. I have checked for any loose connections or screw fittings and everything seems fine and the speaker looks intact. There is an overdrive channel but I don't use it
I don't have anyone that can look at it FOC so I may have to pay a local shop to take it apart to see if there are any issues, but don't really want the expense if I can help it

I play an epi thunderbird active through it, and select the active input switch. If I then play my passive EB3 though it and select passive input then its a bit better but still distorting.

There is an output for another speaker but this is a series output so if I connect another speaker I am not going to achieve any more power, but do you think connecting another speaker may help to reduce the distortion in as much that the amp power is being spread into two speakers/cabs. (if that makes sense)

Would appreciate some help as I cannot decide whether I am asking too much of the amp or it may need looking at or an extra cab

I can't be sure but it sounds like the input gain might be too high, can you try reducing that and increasing the master volume to make up for it?
If that means that it sounds okay but too quiet then you might need an extension cab - you can get really good Peavey Black Widow 1x15s cheap as chips used.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1375348390' post='2160002']
I can't be sure but it sounds like the input gain might be too high, can you try reducing that and increasing the master volume to make up for it?
If that means that it sounds okay but too quiet then you might need an extension cab - you can get really good Peavey Black Widow 1x15s cheap as chips used.
[/quote]

This! Also try reducing the EQ (probably the bass), flat doesn't always means flat on amp EQ's ;)

The experience that i have with Crate is that the name suits the gear perfecly, very boxy sounding with harsh highs and distortion all over the place but with time and some EQ you can get useable sounds out of it, with 220W you should hear yourself propperly without distortion.

Go fiddle with it, good luck ;)

Definitely trim the gain a bit and increase the master volume. If you have an input pad or separate input for active bass, then try using it where appropriate. Not really familiar with EQ section on Crate, but as has been suggested, try trimming back bass and treble frequencies and boosting your mids a bit. A compressor/limiter may help too.

BB

I can't say I know a lot about big amps/speakers etc, but I got some distortion on my combo at home. I solved it by getting into the speaker cone and gently cleaning all round the cone with a vacuum cleaner. Distortion can be caused by anything that stops the cone from sliding in and out from between the magnets - like dust etc.

Besides, if all you've really done with your speakers of late is not out of the ordinary - no damp, physical damage, significant blasting at high volume, etc. What, other than dirt can have caused the damage?

+1 to all the above.

You might already be doing this, but put the combo in a corner of the room. The 2 walls will help reinforce the sound.
If there's an ext speaker out, add another cab if you can. If it's the BT220, then adding a cab draws more power.